The Newsroom

#NotreDame | Breaking News Coverage

Live Coverage (April 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BF
BFGArmy
Say what you want about Geeta's anchoring but at least BBC are rolling with the story. Al Jazeera have only just now mentioned the Notre Dame fire. They've been as bad as CNN have been good.
UK
UKnews
Sky is using the worst camera shots possible....

Must not have access to AFP then I’m guessing - the side on picture that the BBC have been using has come from them (confirmed when it went to black and then an AFP stand by caption).

Would expect something from Frances Televisions via Eurovision soon (if there hasn’t been already).
NE
News96
I wouldn't be surprised if we ended with a 2-hour Outside Source at 8:00 (which would be normal for World but not for the News Channel.)
WO
Worzel
Jon Sopel, exemplary with Katty Kay at the moment.

We've basically got Katty Kay, Matthew Price and Jon Sopel anchoring as a trio.
MA
Markymark
Jon Sopel, exemplary with Katty Kay at the moment.

Sopel is a top drawer journalist
IS
Inspector Sands
BM11 posted:
Horrible news. One of the most famous buildings in the world likely to be beyond restoration at this rate.
The News channels will be busy for days with this (especially if the remainder has to be demolished as I fear it will have to be.

Unlikely the stone walls will need to be demolished, they might not have much inside them but they normally survive fires. Once it's out I doubt it'll get continuous coverage... the s not much more to say

It’s quite an unprecedented event. I guess the newsroom is completely frantic at the moment.

It's not that unprecedented is it? There's been plenty of famous buildings that have had fires.

They won't be as frantic as they would be if it was St Paul's or Westminster Abbey, the fact is abroad means that they're relying on agencies, other broadcasters and reporters on phone lines for now. The assignments desk will be the busiest - deploying crews and trying to book facilities on the ground
CA
cat
Sky had Dominic Waghorn at the scene and better camera shots than others when the spire fell - but As of about 20 mins ago have been using a very distant shot.

I thought they had a relationship with BFMTV through ENEX. Not sure why they haven’t been able to use that
LL
London Lite Founding member
Windsor Castle must have been the last major UK fire of historical importance? But like Windsor, Notre-Dame will be rebuilt and renovated.
AN
Andrew Founding member
Windsor Castle must have been the last major UK fire of historical importance? But like Windsor, Notre-Dame will be rebuilt and renovated.

There was the Cutty Sark as well, which of course was rebuilt better than ever.
IS
Inspector Sands

And York Minster before that. Hampton Court too. Glasgow School of Art... Twice!
Last edited by Inspector Sands on 15 April 2019 7:50pm - 2 times in total
LS
LewisS
Both of the BBC's live shots have been moving and putting the fire out of frame, I assume that's because of the crowds?
BF
BFGArmy
Chris Cuomo now taking over from Brianna Keilar over on CNN - hopefully the standard of coverage keeps up especially as Melissa Bell and Jim Bittermann who are both fantastic journalists are on the scene.

Newer posts