TV Home Forum

Global Radio axes all regional/local breakfast shows

(February 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
VM
VMPhil
The Radio City Tower has always used an all caps version of the type from the cog logo for its signage. Presumably because the signs for each letter would look odd in lowercase.
JA
james-2001
Yes that's what it refers to, originally Red Rose Rock FM when Red Rose split frequencies. Wikipedia says that it was originally going to be based in Blackpool but that plan fell through

I don't think it has any connection with it serving Blackpool, it would have been a rather tenuous link. I think it's more to do with the fact in the past rock was often used as a synonym for pop, and Red Rose Rock sounded quite a snappy name.

I’ve always assumed it was a simple play on words with the tooth rotting sticks called ‘Blackpool Rock’ .

That's what I've always been told as well.

Actually reminds me of when I went to Blackpool Pleasure beach in 2001, and they had their own radio station played throught, which was run by Rock FM, and they had the booth with the DJ in the middle of the park and you could go to it to place requests, have dedications read out and whatnot. Don't know if that's still the case now though.
Last edited by james-2001 on 12 April 2019 10:06am
DJ
DJ Dave
The Radio City Tower has always used an all caps version of the type from the cog logo for its signage. Presumably because the signs for each letter would look odd in lowercase.

There was talk about putting a digital wrap sign around it to update, but I think that fell flat.
GE
thegeek Founding member

I don't think it has any connection with it serving Blackpool, it would have been a rather tenuous link. I think it's more to do with the fact in the past rock was often used as a synonym for pop, and Red Rose Rock sounded quite a snappy name.

I’ve always assumed it was a simple play on words with the tooth rotting sticks called ‘Blackpool Rock’ .

That's what I've always been told as well.

Actually reminds me of when I went to Blackpool Pleasure beach in 2001, and they had their own radio station played throught, which was run by Rock FM, and they had the booth with the DJ in the middle of the park and you could go to it to place requests, have dedications read out and whatnot. Don't know if that's still the case now though.

Holiday Rock FM, formerly Kit Kat Radio.
NW
nwtv2003

I always thought the sign at the top of the beacon was the logo they used prior to taking the generic-Bauer/EMAP one, ie the one they used in the mid to late 1990’s.

At one time you could quite easily see Key 103 and Magic’s logos outside their studios at Castlefield Junction from the train, but when I went past a few months ago it is now plastered with Hits Radio instead.
GO
gottago

I always thought the sign at the top of the beacon was the logo they used prior to taking the generic-Bauer/EMAP one, ie the one they used in the mid to late 1990’s.

Yes I think that was the case. I remember that logo on car stickers back in the day. Are radio car stickers still a thing? Are car stickers generally still a thing?!
DV
dvboy

Yes I think that was the case. I remember that logo on car stickers back in the day. Are radio car stickers still a thing? Are car stickers generally still a thing?!

See the odd Free Radio sticker around here. Not sure if they still do the competition where if they read your number plate out and you ring in you win a cash prize.
MA
Markymark
dvboy posted:

See the odd Free Radio sticker around here. Not sure if they still do the competition where if they read your number plate out and you ring in you win a cash prize.

I suspect things like that break Data Protection Laws etc these days !
LL
London Lite Founding member
dvboy posted:

I suspect things like that break Data Protection Laws etc these days !

Radio Jackie still do the car sticker game.
VM
VMPhil

I've never come across any evidence of that logo existing. Supposedly the cog logo was introduced in 2000 which was when they moved into the tower, it always looked like an uppercase version of the same font to me.
TV
TVVT
The cog logo was also used on The Hits until it became 4Music
SP
Spencer

I've never come across any evidence of that logo existing. Supposedly the cog logo was introduced in 2000 which was when they moved into the tower, it always looked like an uppercase version of the same font to me.

I think you're right Phil. If Radio City's Logopedia Page is to be believed (and admittedly it's not always that accurate), the previous logo to the cog used a very generic sans-serif font, as opposed to the rather stylised font that followed. It was all yellow text though, same as on the tower - so maybe that's where the confusion has arisen?

My guess is that they capitalised the text from the cog logo to make the sign more visible from a distance. It's clearly the same font.

Newer posts