TV Home Forum

Global Radio axes all regional/local breakfast shows

(February 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
IS
Inspector Sands
Of course there was also the issue of Rock FM 2 being on AM...

Indeed, and it didn't play any rock, either.

Yes, how did that name got chosen and last so long without someone thinking that it was a bit confusing that it's a musical genre too
DJ
DJ Dave

My guess is that they're using Hits Radio Manchester as a guinea pig, and aiming to get that right before rolling the brand out further.

Isnt that what they do with Greatest Hits? It was tried in Liverpool first (Radio City 2?) and then became a national station with two FM outlets

Radio City 2 was part of the Bauer City 2 network along with the likes of Radio Aire 2, Viking 2, Metro 2, etc.. Radio City 2 was unusual though in that, as London Lite says, it was on FM whilst the others were DAB/AM only, so was a bit more successful and probably considered something of a flagship. I’m not sure it was specifically the model for GHR though.

Radio City 2 had a local Breakfast and Drive though, I did like Radio City 2 better then Greatest Hits Radio and the logo is awful for GHR.
VM
VMPhil
The 2015 City logos weren't that good either to be honest.
:-(
A former member
Of course there was also the issue of Rock FM 2 being on AM...

Yes, how did that name got chosen and last so long without someone thinking that it was a bit confusing that it's a musical genre too

There’s a local rumour that it refers to Blackpool Rock, however given its more Preston-focused, I’m not sure how true it is.
SP
Spencer

Agreed. The whole ‘YOUR’ thing seemed a bit random. Still, not as awful as the GHR logo.
IS
Inspector Sands

There’s a local rumour that it refers to Blackpool Rock, however given its more Preston-focused, I’m not sure how true it is.

Yes that's what it refers to, originally Red Rose Rock FM when Red Rose split frequencies. Wikipedia says that it was originally going to be based in Blackpool but that plan fell through
MA
Markymark

The legacy IBA franchise area was called 'Preston and Blackpool', so the focus on Blackpool may have been to gain IBA/RA/Ofcom brownie points (how times change !) And in 1992 Radio Wave launched in Blackpool (serving only Blackpool)
SW
Steve Williams
Yes that's what it refers to, originally Red Rose Rock FM when Red Rose split frequencies. Wikipedia says that it was originally going to be based in Blackpool but that plan fell through

I don't think it has any connection with it serving Blackpool, it would have been a rather tenuous link. I think it's more to do with the fact in the past rock was often used as a synonym for pop, and Red Rose Rock sounded quite a snappy name.
SC
Si-Co

I don't think it has any connection with it serving Blackpool, it would have been a rather tenuous link. I think it's more to do with the fact in the past rock was often used as a synonym for pop, and Red Rose Rock sounded quite a snappy name.

By the 1980s, certainly in the UK, the word “rock” was very much associated with electric guitar bands and the hard rock and heavy metal genre. You wouldn’t have referred to the majority of Rock FM’s playlist as “rock music”. That said, their jingles “Rockin’ the North West... Rock FM” suggested a more generic/traditional interpretation of the word - music you can “rock” to.

Incidentally, most of the music kids listen to these days makes me rock - back and forwards in a corner with fingers in my ears.
DJ
DJ Dave

Agreed. The whole ‘YOUR’ thing seemed a bit random. Still, not as awful as the GHR logo.

Yeah this one was better *
MA
Markymark

I’ve always assumed it was a simple play on words with the tooth rotting sticks called ‘Blackpool Rock’ .
SP
Spencer

Yeah this one was better *

The ‘cog’ logos worked really well. Not surprising they lasted so long, although they do look a bit dated now, and at the time, the design did seem uncannily close to Galaxy’s logo...

Newer posts