TV Home Forum

The View

Barbara Walters/Elizabeth Hasselbeck tape leaked (April 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
WH
Whataday Founding member
Edit : Since a lot of you seem to talk about The View and bring it up in the Loose Women thread do you think the show would do well over in the UK? They don’t really have sponsored content, rather promotional consideration (such as giveaways).

Oh I'd say the View Your Deal segment is 100% sponsored content.
RK
Rkolsen
Edit : Since a lot of you seem to talk about The View and bring it up in the Loose Women thread do you think the show would do well over in the UK? They don’t really have sponsored content, rather promotional consideration (such as giveaways).

I normally turn off before that stuff (as it is almost 99.9% never relevant to me - one time I did buy some reusable bags and horrific reusable straws - after a few washes they tasted like rubber) so I never read the fine print. Incidentally Today does Steals and Deals, before it was promotions but just recently they run a disclaimer that NBCUniversal gets an affiliate fee for ever purchase made through a direct link.
SL
Shaun Linden

Isn't View Your Deal not that far from when This Morning has Steve Wilson going through gadgets or Easter treats?
WH
Whataday Founding member

Isn't View Your Deal not that far from when This Morning has Steve Wilson going through gadgets or Easter treats?

The presentation is similar, but the deals advertised are exclusive to ViewYourDeal.com, and ABC receives commission from every product sold.

I wonder whether they exploit some sort of loophole because they don't get paid for the airtime as such, but in the UK it would certainly be considered a paid for promotion.
NG
noggin Founding member

I'm sure it was on-air here in the early 00s when I had a Tivo connected to my Sky box, as I used to watch it reasonably regularly. I guess the fact it's not carried by any major channel here now tells the story it didn't do so well? It is a very acquired taste if you aren't an American.

Was it not on Diva TV at one point (this would have been around the late noughties)? I remember they started out with quite a varied lineup, but then for its last year or so on air it was virtually wall-to-wall Oprah.

I'm talking pre-2004 - I'd stopped using a Sky Digibox-fed-Tivo by then.
WH
Whataday Founding member
Wasn't it on some random channel like Sky Soap or perhaps the original Sky 2.
LL
London Lite Founding member
Wasn't it on some random channel like Sky Soap or perhaps the original Sky 2.

I think it was on one of the GSkyB channels in the late 90s?
JA
JAS84
Early 2000s is too late for either Sky Soap or Sky 2, so either the years or channel or both is wrong there.
WH
Whataday Founding member
I've done a bit of digging, and seems it was on Granada Breeze.
LL
London Lite Founding member
I've done a bit of digging, and seems it was on Granada Breeze.

That sounds right, I thought it was on Breeze or Granada Talk TV.
SN
The SNT Three

The presentation is similar, but the deals advertised are exclusive to ViewYourDeal.com, and ABC receives commission from every product sold.

I wonder whether they exploit some sort of loophole because they don't get paid for the airtime as such, but in the UK it would certainly be considered a paid for promotion.

In any case if they did want to broadcast The View in the UK, View Your Deal tends to be tagged onto the end of the show (and not every day) so it would be easy to edit out.
WH
Whataday Founding member
Then you would have some episodes shorter than others. And they'd no doubt need to edit the show to fit our commercial breaks. I'm not sure a broadcaster would feel it's worth it (even though I think it would be popular if treated well).

Newer posts