The Newsroom

EU Elections

Thursday, 23 May (April 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
:-(
A former member
It's been pushed, this morning that out that the UK will be doing EU Elections on Thursday, 23 May, unless No day appear or mays deal, both very unlikely.

So what does the BBC and ITV have planned? Who can get PPB? or TV interviews? Can Nigel get one? he has a new party, can The independent group get a slot with Andrew marr?
BU
buster
A lot of questions for something that is still yet to be officially confirmed...
A former member
There going to have to start planning now, But with the recent pics of desks etc its clear the planning has already started.
JK
JKDerry
Of course BBC, ITV and Sky would be planning for EU elections. They knew well in advance the possibility that this could happen, no one could be immune from the coverage since January.

Behind the scenes all news companies plan for every eventuality, BBC, ITV, Sky will be no different. I doubt there will be the large scale studio sets used at the general elections, more likely it would be smaller presentation studios.
MD
mdtauk
EU and Local elections follow a well rehearsed playbook. But if the EU elections take place, I imagine something a bit more "exciting" will have to be planned with all the Brexit chaos.
JA
james-2001
Probably just done from Millbank, like the local elections. Maybe Studio B.

I think the only real reason it was done from the big set in Elstree in 2014 was as a dry run for the first GE from there the following year.
ST
Ste Founding member
A lot of questions for something that is still yet to be officially confirmed...

The Day of Poll order has come into force today meaning that having EU elections on the 23rd May is now in UK law.
WH
Whataday Founding member
Was this intended for The Newsroom?
A former member
Was this intended for The Newsroom?

No, because we will have more than just news programmes covering this, there will be PPB, Special programmes etc
JK
JK08
It does seem much more at home in the Newsroom. Usually elections are covered over there. Not that it really matters all that much.
TI
TIGHazard
Of course BBC, ITV and Sky would be planning for EU elections. They knew well in advance the possibility that this could happen, no one could be immune from the coverage since January.

Behind the scenes all news companies plan for every eventuality, BBC, ITV, Sky will be no different. I doubt there will be the large scale studio sets used at the general elections, more likely it would be smaller presentation studios.

At the same time, with Brexit hanging over it, from what I've noted on politics forums, is that many (on both sides) are considering this almost like a second referendum - Mentioning the possibility that this could be the largest turnout for this kind of election in this countries history, assuming it goes ahead of course.

Will broadcasters take note if this is the case and give it a large set?
TVF
TV Forum Team
This topic has been moved from TV Home Forum .

Newer posts