TV Home Forum

New BBC corporate font: BBC Reith

To replace Gill Sans in print and on screen (May 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
IS
Inspector Sands
"Wow, I'm not being funny or anything". Possibly a interesting film us presentation nerds. But 10 minutes....They claim this change is saving money in the long run. Ok. But if i was a license fee payer. I'd be giving this whole exercise the suss side-eye. Especially considering the massive cost overruns, such as the Eastenders set rebuild. At at the end of the day the average viewer is unlikely to notice a font change.

I'm not sure I get your point, surely something that is cheaper, but the public don't notice is a good thing?
IS
Inspector Sands
Am I the only one that can’t see no difference with reith and current font? Does anyone have side by side comparisons?

I can see the diffrences, but I don't really notice or care when something changes into it.
LS
Lou Scannon
Am I the only one that can’t see no difference with reith and current font? Does anyone have side by side comparisons?

Glad it's not just me! It's hardly like changing from Times New Roman to Brush Script!

There are a great many fonts/typefaces (whatever the correct term is) - particularly sans serif ones - that all look essentially "the same" to me.

I'm sure that 99.99% of average viewers won't even (have) notice(d) the Gill - Reith change, less still care.
MO
Moz

Glad it's not just me! It's hardly like changing from Times New Roman to Brush Script!

There are a great many fonts/typefaces (whatever the correct term is) - particularly sans serif ones - that all look essentially "the same" to me.

I'm sure that 99.99% of average viewers won't even (have) notice(d) the Gill - Reith change, less still care.

Huge differences. Reith looks nothing like Gill Sans.
JA
JAS84
Especially Reith Serif.
PF
PFML84
BBC News UK YouTube uploads are using the new logo on the video preview image.

Surely an on screen launch and website revamp can't be that far off can it? Feels like we've been waiting ages for it.
WO
Worzel
BBC News UK YouTube uploads are using the new logo on the video preview image.

Surely an on screen launch and website revamp can't be that far off can it? Feels like we've been waiting ages for it.

Did you not hear. There's a petition to revoke Reith?

The corporation wasn't fully aware of what it was doing when it decided to drop Gill. The decision was made 3 years ago. People have changed their minds. Lord Hall must table an ammendment to the implementation agreement, but is seeking to reach out to Carolyn McCall of ITV to break the deadlock first. She wants a close and special partnership with Swiss.

Hardline Reithsters and Gillners are not satisfied. They'd both seen a poor implementation over on BBC One, called Oneness.

To reach a compromise, there was a vote at BBC News and a division, overseen by Bubbles the Clown. The aye's to the right in studio C were 210, the noes to the left in studio E were 210. A single individual on the weather balcony took the deciding vote in favour that a soft Reith would take place. The BBC blocks would remain in Gill, but NEWS would leave the font family and be replaced by a fully independent Reith - trying to bring the corporation together.

However, BBC Persian were not happy with this half-in, half-out approach and have asked it to go back to the people for a TV Forumer's vote.

Very Happy
DE
deejay
The serif fonts are VERY different to anything the BBC has used for years. They take a good deal of getting used to. And having a pallete of variations of fonts that we have not been used to for an extremely long time is actually an enormous challenge. You can use the same font to differentiate between BBC saying xxx and a quote (and therefore someone else saying yyy) It’s very exciting to be involved with. And believe me, we’re not just sitting around waiting for someone to give the go ahead. I saw a new title sequence the other day which will be part of the Reith rebrand. And very good it looked too. I’ve played with the new font and how we can use it, I may have even snuck it onto the air occasionally. Who can say what will happpen in the coming months that might scupper our plans, but all being well you’ll see it on air soon. We all hope you’ll like it.
Because we do.
MO
Moz
The serif fonts are VERY different to anything the BBC has used for years. They take a good deal of getting used to. And having a pallete of variations of fonts that we have not been used to for an extremely long time is actually an enormous challenge. You can use the same font to differentiate between BBC saying xxx and a quote (and therefore someone else saying yyy) It’s very exciting to be involved with. And believe me, we’re not just sitting around waiting for someone to give the go ahead. I saw a new title sequence the other day which will be part of the Reith rebrand. And very good it looked too. I’ve played with the new font and how we can use it, I may have even snuck it onto the air occasionally. Who can say what will happpen in the coming months that might scupper our plans, but all being well you’ll see it on air soon. We all hope you’ll like it.
Because we do.

Cheers for the info. Is it likely to appear on air before online? And I mean *fully* - it's of course already on air on the Victoria Derbyshire programme and online on BBC Cymru and BBC News Family & Education.
RK
Rkolsen
Moz posted:
Because we do.

Cheers for the info. Is it likely to appear on air before online? And I mean *fully* - it's of course already on air on the Victoria Derbyshire programme and online on BBC Cymru and BBC News Family & Education.

Have you seen any BBC social media posts? Almost everything has been Reith’d.
JA
JAS84
Yeah, all that's left is the main website and on-screen pres.
MO
Moz
JAS84 posted:
Yeah, all that's left is the main website and on-screen pres.

So mostly everything then! 😂

Newer posts