« Topics
Rkolsen2,839 posts since 20 Jan 2014
BBC World News
Any chance of this being online or broadcast on World News? It seems like something tragic yet fascinating as I never heard from her. I must say from the clips here they stayed professional. I am surprised they identified her so quickly - was family notified?

I remember watching clips of WDBJ as Alison Parker and Adam Ward at WDBJ and how NBC and MSNBC handled Tim Russert’s heart attack in the DC Bureau.
Don’t let anyone treat you like you’re a VO/SOT when you’re a PKG.
Inspector Sands13,825 posts since 25 Aug 2004
Any chance of this being online or broadcast on World News? It seems like something tragic yet fascinating as I never heard from her. I must say from the clips here they stayed professional. I am surprised they identified her so quickly - was family notified?

I'm sure it will be on YouTube at some point soon.
EDIT: in fact here is is: https://youtu.be/8USNVv8jec8

She was identified by the neighbour who found her on her doorstep she mentioned her identity on the 999 call.

Of course that's not formal identification, but it was confirmed it was her and broadcast just over an hour later. I don't know what the rules and procedures are regarding notifying family, or how they work out who to contact, in this case her next of kin would have been her father. He wasn't featured (I assume he's not around any more) and there was no mention of them being told officially.

However when it's someone well known and it happens in broad daylight it's a little bit different, word spreads even in those pre-Twitter, pre smart phone days. Probably better to get it out there and confirm it.

It probably would have been different if she had children, you'd want them told properly and not via TV
Last edited by Inspector Sands on 3 April 2019 7:15am - 2 times in total
Whataday10,110 posts since 13 Sep 2001
HTV Wales Wales Today
She was identified by the neighbour who found her on her doorstep she mentioned her identity on the 999 call.

She told the 999 operator it was Jill 'in confidence' but it very quickly reached the public domain, almost before anyone attended.

Unsurprisingly they didn't didn't even touch the most widely circulated conspiracy theory despite mentioning the Serbian and Crimewatch theories.
Newsroom1,698 posts since 2 Mar 2005 Recently warned

I remember watching clips of WDBJ as Alison Parker and Adam Ward at WDBJ and how NBC and MSNBC handled Tim Russert’s heart attack in the DC Bureau.

Unlikely, although I seem to recall Holiday being shown on 'BBC World' as it was then, so perhaps.

There are obviously means by which to watch it, although I'm sure rules forbid me from further guidance.
Formerly News Room
WARNED x 2
Newsroom1,698 posts since 2 Mar 2005 Recently warned
I found it fascinating, upsetting and remember it as if it was yesterday. My Gran and I were fixed to the television all day. Martyn Lewis led the SIX that day and he was clearly emotional as was every presenter that day.

Formerly News Room
WARNED x 2
Inspector Sands13,825 posts since 25 Aug 2004

She told the 999 operator it was Jill 'in confidence' but it very quickly reached the public domain, almost before anyone attended.

Yes, even though I'm sure 999 operators usually keep the details of their work confidential anyway.

I wasn't sure if she was a neighbour who knew Jill lived there or was passing by and recognised her. She referred to 'walking past Jill's car' but of course she might only have known that afterwards

Quote:
Unsurprisingly they didn't didn't even touch the most widely circulated conspiracy theory despite mentioning the Serbian and Crimewatch theories.

Yes I hadn't heard that one until I was browsing twitter last night after the documentary. A lot of people are on board with it sadly.

Presumably it wasn't mentioned because unlike the other theories it was created in the world of tinfoil hats
mannewskev515 posts since 2 Sep 2011
The video at 2.44 was the old Breakfast Time studio. She read the news in its later days before changing to Breakfast News

My point is though, it's not the old Breakfast Time (mark 2, with the desk) studio I remember, like this:
BBI45867 posts since 2 Aug 2015
Central (East) East Midlands Today
The video at 2.44 was the old Breakfast Time studio. She read the news in its later days before changing to Breakfast News

My point is though, it's not the old Breakfast Time (mark 2, with the desk) studio I remember, like this:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCkwH0oZksg

I'm fairly certain that Breakfast Time had another studio design later on before becoming Breakfast News. I'll try and find an image, but the only image I've seen is from TV Ark.
.... . ..- - .