« Topics
UKnews836 posts since 26 Apr 2011
Noggin will be able to correct me if I’m wrong - but from what I can remember - in TVC sports channels available on the desktop ringmain had ‘Sports Access Viewing Feed’ added across the bottom of the picture to stop them ending up on air! Incoming feeds of sports events (mostly those the BBC had rights to, but sometimes those that might be ‘passing through’) might end up on unlabelled news packages- so it was always worth a look through them. Far less of that since the move to NBH, especially with Sport (and most of Sports News) being in Salford.

I can’t remember whether EbS is a permanently available feed in NBH. I think it might be, if it isn’t I’d expect it to be booked a lot of the time at the moment. Some events will be carried on EVN too. Possibly the gallery had Reuters selected as a backup feed.
thegeek4,967 posts since 1 Jan 2002
London London
Incoming feeds of sports events (mostly those the BBC had rights to, but sometimes those that might be ‘passing through’) might end up on unlabelled news packages- so it was always worth a look through them.

That was likely to be by chance more than anything else - probably a case of some resource (eg a BT Tower line, satellite reciever, or de-embedder) which was previously being used for a news event being reused for something else, without being de-routed from the news package. Handy if it was a 3 o'clock Premier League game you were interested in though! Smile
harshy and UKnews gave kudos
Inspector Sands13,763 posts since 25 Aug 2004
I'm not sure about the ringmain, but the sports channels and other feeds of sports events on the main routers wouldn't have been captioned as they were normally there because they were being recorded.

Even now I think it's just done on some things that are booked as being for viewing. I've seen it recently on pay per view boxing for example.
Rkolsen2,808 posts since 20 Jan 2014
BBC World News
May not be the right place but I’ve noticed portions of this report on a woman who doesn’t feel pain in packages on multiple US networks. Does anyone know if the interview was done by the researchers or the BBC on a non exclusive basis (so she wouldn’t have to give multiple interviews)? The interview segments on other networks were clean (no embed gfx).
Don’t let anyone treat you like you’re a VO/SOT when you’re a PKG.
noggin14,455 posts since 26 Jun 2001
May not be the right place but I’ve noticed portions of this report on a woman who doesn’t feel pain in packages on multiple US networks. Does anyone know if the interview was done by the researchers or the BBC on a non exclusive basis (so she wouldn’t have to give multiple interviews)? The interview segments on other networks were clean (no embed gfx).

The BBC contributes content to EVN, Reuters and CBS (previously ABC) - so if that interview was specially shot by the BBC, they may have provided it to one or all of these outlets? If those stations have deals with EVN, Reuters or CBS - then that may have been a route to them getting the pictures?

In those situations the provided content could be either a 'clean effects' replay of the package (sync sound only, no graphics, no VO) or the interviews and cutaways/set-up shots roughly assembled.
Rkolsen2,808 posts since 20 Jan 2014
BBC World News

The BBC contributes content to EVN, Reuters and CBS (previously ABC) - so if that interview was specially shot by the BBC, they may have provided it to one or all of these outlets? If those stations have deals with EVN, Reuters or CBS - then that may have been a route to them getting the pictures?

In those situations the provided content could be either a 'clean effects' replay of the package (sync sound only, no graphics, no VO) or the interviews and cutaways/set-up shots roughly assembled.

I was just surprised as I have seen BBC footage on other networks (aside from the immediate partners at the time) but never an interview (all us networks subscribe to Reuters and are associate members of EVN). Perhaps it was newsworthy enough that the BBC put it up there or was asked to. Does anyone know if the BBC regularly contribute interviews like this to services like EVN and Reuters? I imagine interviews with politicians are shared more frequently.
Don’t let anyone treat you like you’re a VO/SOT when you’re a PKG.
noggin14,455 posts since 26 Jun 2001

I was just surprised as I have seen BBC footage on other networks (aside from the immediate partners at the time) but never an interview (all us networks subscribe to Reuters and are associate members of EVN). Perhaps it was newsworthy enough that the BBC put it up there or was asked to. Does anyone know if the BBC regularly contribute interviews like this to services like EVN and Reuters? I imagine interviews with politicians are shared more frequently.

Yes - the BBC is a major contributor to EVN, and often offers and provides content. I don't know how much is provided to Reuters.
Rkolsen gave kudos
Inspector Sands13,763 posts since 25 Aug 2004
The BBC contribute a lot to the Reuters news service (WNS) . Anything UK related comes from the BBC, so you can imagine there's a lot of BBC content on there at the moment. Before that it was ITN for many years. In a former life I worked for a broadcaster who was a customer of Reuters and the amount of ITN content on it was quite high, luckily we were allowed to use it but other broadcasters in the UK couldn't... and of course now it's the BBC, ITN and Sky that can't use it for UK material

I believe that Reuters has a journalist in the BBC newsroom who selects the stories and footage they want to take.
Last edited by Inspector Sands on 30 March 2019 7:43pm
Rkolsen gave kudos
TIGHazard478 posts since 3 Jan 2014
Tyne Tees Look North (North East)

Yes - the BBC is a major contributor to EVN, and often offers and provides content. I don't know how much is provided to Reuters.

This may be a stupid question, but does EVN stand for Eurovision News?
Woodpecker430 posts since 19 Jan 2018
Central (West) Midlands Today

This may be a stupid question, but does EVN stand for Eurovision News?

Yes, it does.
SuperSajuuk261 posts since 24 Feb 2018
STV North Reporting Scotland
Has there been a programming change for the News Channel on sunday lunchtime? It seems to be simulcasting World News at 12pm for an hour right now, and it’s not like there was a breaking news story that the channel was simulcasting for, before pulling away. The guide also implies that this is a whole hour of news with no pre-recorded programme (often click) at 12.30pm.

EDIT: news channel stopped simulcasting at 12.10pm when presumably the world news bulletin ended, and changed to Ben Brown in a completely different studio (D i think?), when he had been in E the previous hour. Technical issues or...?
Last edited by SuperSajuuk on 31 March 2019 12:11pm - 2 times in total
No further posts are being accepted for this topic