« Topics
itsrobert6,320 posts since 23 Mar 2001
Granada North West Today
That definitely makes sense. My recollection of that era was that the Six second presenter read the daytime summaries. So, it wasn't out of the ordinary for Jennie to have presented the newsflash. The One presenter may have already left and Jennie was the duty bulletin presenter at that moment. That would have allowed the Six main presenter to prepare for the Six.

Is it not also possible that the One team would routinely come off air and go straight for lunch?

I don't think it's the case that the Six presenter would do the daytime summaries, certainly in the eighties, because Richard Whitmore did them for the first few years and he never did the Six. Indeed it said somewhere that he knew his days were numbered at the Beeb because Nicholas Witchell fell ill one afternoon and couldn't do the Six, and Whitmore was in the building doing the daytime bulletins and volunteered to do it, and they said they didn't want him and dragged in Andrew Harvey from home. And in the eighties and early nineties it would be people like Lynette Lithgow and Lisa Davidson who never did the Six either.

Obviously things may have been different in the late nineties but I'm pretty sure it was usually a different presenter for the daytime summaries - it was quite a long shift, starting at 9am and going on until 4pm. It is the case that Jennie Bond was doing the daytime summaries and the Six that day but I think that was very much an exception (as mentioned, she certainly wasn't billed as doing the Six in the Radio Times).

I would imagine it's no different to at the weekend now when there's a presenter on the news channel but someone else comes in to do the BBC1 bulletins.

I think you're confusing the late 80s with the late 90s. What you say is true for the 80s, but by the late 90s the first summary was at 11am. So, not that long a shift through to 6.30. The Six co-presenter definitely did the daytime summaries in the late 90s.
JamesWorldNews gave kudos
JamesLaverty1925125 posts since 28 Feb 2017
Central (East) East Midlands Today
That definitely makes sense. My recollection of that era was that the Six second presenter read the daytime summaries. So, it wasn't out of the ordinary for Jennie to have presented the newsflash. The One presenter may have already left and Jennie was the duty bulletin presenter at that moment. That would have allowed the Six main presenter to prepare for the Six.

Is it not also possible that the One team would routinely come off air and go straight for lunch?

I don't think it's the case that the Six presenter would do the daytime summaries, certainly in the eighties, because Richard Whitmore did them for the first few years and he never did the Six. Indeed it said somewhere that he knew his days were numbered at the Beeb because Nicholas Witchell fell ill one afternoon and couldn't do the Six, and Whitmore was in the building doing the daytime bulletins and volunteered to do it, and they said they didn't want him and dragged in Andrew Harvey from home. And in the eighties and early nineties it would be people like Lynette Lithgow and Lisa Davidson who never did the Six either.

Obviously things may have been different in the late nineties but I'm pretty sure it was usually a different presenter for the daytime summaries - it was quite a long shift, starting at 9am and going on until 4pm. It is the case that Jennie Bond was doing the daytime summaries and the Six that day but I think that was very much an exception (as mentioned, she certainly wasn't billed as doing the Six in the Radio Times).

I would imagine it's no different to at the weekend now when there's a presenter on the news channel but someone else comes in to do the BBC1 bulletins.

I think you're confusing the late 80s with the late 90s. What you say is true for the 80s, but by the late 90s the first summary was at 11am. So, not that long a shift through to 6.30. The Six co-presenter definitely did the daytime summaries in the late 90s.

Would make sense. Somehow I can't imagine the likes of Anna Ford or Nicholas Witchell presenting the summaries.
noggin14,437 posts since 26 Jun 2001

Would make sense. Somehow I can't imagine the likes of Anna Ford or Nicholas Witchell presenting the summaries.

Pretty certain Anna Ford presented the morning daytime summaries in the early 00s when she was the main presenter of The One O'Clock News ?(with Darren Jordon sharing the duties)

Similarly I think Huw or Fiona (or Sian if she was sitting in) presented the afternoon summaries before presenting The Six O'Clock News?

This was after the 'virtual blue' sets and titles had been replaced by the first generation of Lambie Nairn Ivory and Red titles with David Lowe music.
Woodpecker gave kudos
Woodpecker430 posts since 19 Jan 2018
Central (West) Midlands Today

Pretty certain Anna Ford presented the morning daytime summaries in the early 00s when she was the main presenter of The One O'Clock News ?(with Darren Jordon sharing the duties)

Similarly I think Huw or Fiona (or Sian if she was sitting in) presented the afternoon summaries before presenting The Six O'Clock News?

This was after the 'virtual blue' sets and titles had been replaced by the first generation of Lambie Nairn Ivory and Red titles with David Lowe music.

You are correct - as you say, whoever was presenting the One O'Clock News that day would do the morning summaries; likewise with the Six O'Clock News presenter and the afternoon summaries. Around 2003, the weekday summaries got their own title sequence (which was awful, IMO) and set of graphics, and were done in front of a slightly dodgy CSO of the newsroom, as you can see from 1:56 below:

chevron gave kudos
noggin14,437 posts since 26 Jun 2001

You are correct - as you say, whoever was presenting the One O'Clock News that day would do the morning summaries; likewise with the Six O'Clock News presenter and the afternoon summaries. Around 2003, the weekday summaries got their own title sequence (which was awful, IMO) and set of graphics, and were done in front of a slightly dodgy CSO of the newsroom, as you can see from 1:56 below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gc_QI3hQh_E

Wow - don't think I've seen that 'look' since then!. Having seen it, I remember it well!
Whataday10,028 posts since 13 Sep 2001
HTV Wales Wales Today
Gosh there's a blast from the past. I'd forgotten all about that sting.

I've always remembered the dodgy CSO though, and can now remember that Anna Ford did the first day with that look because it was discussed in depth on here.
DJ Dave gave kudos
Woodpecker430 posts since 19 Jan 2018
Central (West) Midlands Today
I loved that whole look - I think it could, and should, have been used for a lot longer than it was. Easily one of the best looks that BBC News has ever had, IMO. Especially the skyline backdrops - so much better than what they were replaced with. In fact, I think that the 2008 relaunch was, in many respects, a big step backwards.
Spencer For Hire5,864 posts since 13 Jan 2003
Yorkshire Look North (Yorkshire)

I’d forgotten about those titles - yes, they were awful. That said, I’ve got a terrible craving for a fried egg now.
Robust amateurism
thegeek and fanoftv gave kudos
itsrobert6,320 posts since 23 Mar 2001
Granada North West Today

You're absolutely correct, noggin. That change happened in May 1999 as I recall. Once the rebrand happened, the One presenter did the two late morning summaries and the Six presenter did the mid-afternoon summary. Before May 1999, the Six co-presenter did all the summaries as I mentioned earlier. The change probably happened because the Six co-presenter was jettisoned as part of the revamp.

On the day in question, as Jennie Bond was the Six co-presenter (despite Genome stating Moira Stuart) she would have been doing the daytime summaries. The newsflash was probably treated as another daytime bulletin for all intents and purposes.
Worzel4,699 posts since 8 Jan 2008
Anglia (West) Look East (West sub-opt)

5:05 in on that clip!!! Laughing
Woodpecker, JamesWorldNews and Bob gave kudos