TV Home Forum

The Murder of Jill Dando

BBC One Tuesday 2nd April 9pm (March 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MA
Markyboy81
Apologises, it was meant as banter.
JL
JamesLaverty1925
This one: Who is that with ford?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkVkbefzzUw

That's the Six from that day. Diana Maddill is the co-presenter.

Going back to the Dando documentary. I had wondered before if her news had been reported on the One, seeing as she was pronounced dead at 13:03 (According to wiki). Sounds similar to the Queen Mother story, when Sissons was given the news literally as he was going off air and had to prepare for the announcement when the embargo was lifted.
IS
Inspector Sands
I dont recall Anna Ford reading the One O'Clock News in the virtual era. Sure you were not as high as kite with your flatmate? 😂

She might well have just been filling in on the One - remember that it was near enough the very tail end of the virtual era.

Thought I'd look this up and..... she presented the 1 o clock the day after the murder, but not on the day itself. Looks like it was Justin Webb that day
SP
Steve in Pudsey
This one: Who is that with ford?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkVkbefzzUw

That's the Six from that day. Diana Maddill is the co-presenter.

Going back to the Dando documentary. I had wondered before if her news had been reported on the One, seeing as she was pronounced dead at 13:03 (According to wiki). Sounds similar to the Queen Mother story, when Sissons was given the news literally as he was going off air and had to prepare for the announcement when the embargo was lifted.

I'm surprised it was reported as early as it seems to have been, surely the usual formalities of informing family members would have taken some time?
JL
JamesLaverty1925
I dont recall Anna Ford reading the One O'Clock News in the virtual era. Sure you were not as high as kite with your flatmate? 😂

She might well have just been filling in on the One - remember that it was near enough the very tail end of the virtual era.

Thought I'd look this up and..... she presented the 1 o clock the day after the murder, but not on the day itself. Looks like it was Justin Webb that day

Where did you get this information? Genome doesn't list presenters for the One after 1993, annoyingly.
JL
JamesLaverty1925

She presented it on the day before Diana's funeral. There used to be a video on YouTube with various clips from the week, and I remember she presented it as well as the Six on that day. Oddly, Jon Sopel also presented it that week (I only recently found out he presented during the Virtual era), so I'm guessing Ed Stourton was on holiday that week.

Also, I remember when doing GCSE Biology, we were showed an old news clip, and it was certainly Anna Ford presenting the one in the Virtual era. No idea of the year mind

Sorry to come back to this. But found the video! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsBMXFouTFs&t=22003s

It is rather badly out of sync, but Ford on the One O'Clock news starts at approximately 5:50:30 (It's a LOOOOONG video)
BC
Blake Connolly Founding member
The one thing I really clearly remember about that day, and you can see it about 4'30 into the second video of the Six O'Clock News, was the live interview with the police detective who said "this shoot... errr this murder" - at the time it was still being reported as a stabbing. I remember watching at home with my parents and we all caught it.
SC
Schwing
Apologises, it was meant as banter.

Appreciated Markyboy81
RN
Rolling News
The first Crimewatch following Jill Dando's death (18th May 1999)...

JW
JamesWorldNews
Glimpses of Michael Cole, Ben Brown and Jackie Rowley in that clip too.

Back to the post from Schwing: yes, you’re right. I now recall (after you mentioned it) a rather unkempt last few moments of the One O’clock bulletin. For the life of me, though, I don’t recall who the presenter was, Anna or otherwise, but I do recall something being wrong.

I wonder why Anna didn’t stay in the studio at the same seat/desk and continue with the Newsflash? Or, for logistical reasons at that time of the day, did another studio have to be used for the newsflash and no time for Anna Ford to get there, so Jennie Bond was put on air?

Either way, it was a surreal day in British Television history. As a news junkie like most of you here too, having one of the nations most popular newscasters gunned down outside her home was - somehow - too hard to take.

Although not as high profile as Jill Dando, but another BBC Newscaster was also shot dead in the same decade. Lynette Lithgow did lunchtime news and daytime summaries, as well as weekend bulletins. But I don’t recall her passing ever being covered by BBC News.
MA
Markymark

Although not as high profile as Jill Dando, but another BBC Newscaster was also shot dead in the same decade. Lynette Lithgow did lunchtime news and daytime summaries, as well as weekend bulletins. But I don’t recall her passing ever being covered by BBC News.

Yes, I remember that too. Bungled burglary in the Carribean ?

She had also been a Granada CA I think ?

I remember the Jill Dando murder day. I arrived back at Heathrow at about 6pm that day. Someone in the passport queue mentioned it, presumably someone had rung them or sent a ( new fangled) text message

Next morning I was working at The London Studios. There was significantly stepped up security there
SW
Steve Williams
I remember the Jill Dando murder day. I arrived back at Heathrow at about 6pm that day. Someone in the passport queue mentioned it, presumably someone had rung them or sent a ( new fangled) text message

This was the first news story I ever found out about on the internet. I was in the university computer room - as this was before I had the internet at home - and I was actually trying to find news about Johnnie Walker, because it was the day after he'd been suspended by Radio 2 for appearing on the front page of the News of the World snorting coke. I couldn't get any news site to load, though, and eventually I got one to work, IRN's site I think, and first saw the news, then I ran home to watch the mid-afternoon bulletin on BBC2 during the snooker.

Such a fascinating day. I remember the Beeb's tribute that night - which I know has been mentioned on here was completed with seconds to spare - was introduced by Des in front of a set with a a laser beam background presumably used for some other show, but I never worked out what show it was. She'd actually stopped reading the news by then, the revamp was coming up a few weeks later and I think it had been already announced she wouldn't be involved. Genome has her last bulletin as Friday 19th February. As the cover of that week's Radio Times pointed out, she'd also officially left Holiday.

Was a huge week for news because on the Friday of that week was the Soho nail bomb which also saw numerous newsflashes.
tightrope78 and bilky asko gave kudos

Newer posts