TV Home Forum

The Murder of Jill Dando

BBC One Tuesday 2nd April 9pm (March 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RD
RDJ
A trailer has been shown on BBC One for the upcoming documentary marking 20 years since Jill Dando's death.

The trailer seems to solely consist of behind the scene footage of a bewildered Jennie Bond and news team preparing for a Newsflash about Jill's death.

It looks like it's going to be a very interesting watch, especially for never before seen footage.
Rkolsen and watchingtv gave kudos
IS
Inspector Sands
Blimey, how the heck is it 20 years? Remember that day well.

More details here:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2019/the-murder-of-jill-dando
LL
London Lite Founding member
BBC Nine O'Clock News on the evening of Jill's murder.

RN
Rolling News
BBC six O'clock news that evening

Custard56, London Lite and Inspector Sands gave kudos
RD
RDJ
Here is the trailer for the documentary showing behind the scenes footage of Jennie Bond before the Newsflash aired.

RN
Rolling News
Jill Dando's last ever Crimewatch, just 6 days before her tragic death. Little did she know it would be her last edition...

Woodpecker, London Lite and watchingtv gave kudos
MC
mccanmat
It would be interesting- I’ve not seen the newsflash before
JW
JamesWorldNews
I recall that day well. I was home on leave and on sick leave. The Jennie Bond news flash was surreal to say the least. It aired immediately after the One O'clock News IIRC. Which was presented by someone other than Jennie.

Horrible day.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Interesting that Michael Buerk did the obit package in the 9 wheras Nick Higham did the one in the 6. I can't imagine any reason why they would routinely have both him and Peter Sissons rostered for the same shift, so I wonder if he perhaps came in because he felt he needed to do something in the circumstances?
SP
Spencer
I was working late shifts at the time, and the first I heard about it was from an extra news bulletin on ITV, mid-afternoon, which Trevor McDonald presented, just before CITV started.

It was unusual to see him on screen during the day. I presume he was drafted in early as ITN’s most senior presenter.
MA
Markyboy81
I remember watching BBC1 that day and there was a small explosion in Moscow and thinking when the Newsflash came on straight after the One O'Clock News it was with reference to the explosion. Im sure Jennie confirmed that Sky News reported she was dead.

Trevor McDonald would have been in the newsroom mid afternoon as he would have presented the Evening News. He also went on to present a special news programme around 8pm in which he interviewed Martyn Lewis
BR
Brekkie
Did Trevor present the 3pm update during his Evening News stint?

Newer posts