TV Home Forum

Split Personality

A question about ITV pre 1968 (March 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RO
robertclark125
After Friday Now! the next attempt was 6 o' clock live, hosted by Frank Bough. This was his big TV comeback, after his contract at the BBC was terminated following the tabloid reports about him, and his admission to them. I think 6 o' clock live was perhaps what they wanted Friday Now! to be.

The titles to 6 o' clock live, and its theme tune, would've made good titles and music for The London Programme as well.
BL
bluecortina
The travel news from the helicopter didn't last long I think, but Fred Housego continued as a regular for a while

I assume that was intended as an ironic feature rather than something genuine intended to be useful to people on the commute home?

It doesn't sound like it, and the fact it's Fred Housego* doing it would suggest it was for real. Also it would have been too expensive and too technically complicated for an ironic item I'd have thought.

Problem is that travel news on TV in the evenings doesn't really work as it's most useful to people at work who aren't in front of their telly. London Tonight had it at the start too with Fiona Farrell at New Scotland Yard with their traffic camera network.

*a few years later he was employed by LBC as a big name to do their drivetime travel reports, he presented a comedy clips show at the weekend too

Nobody realised the traffic cameras would be non-sync with each other and the problems that would cause!
IS
Inspector Sands

Problem is that travel news on TV in the evenings doesn't really work as it's most useful to people at work who aren't in front of their telly. London Tonight had it at the start too with Fiona Farrell at New Scotland Yard with their traffic camera network.

Exactly, which is why I thought it might have been done with tongue in cheek.

No, I think it's just something that gets tried every so often and it's then remembered that it's not a good idea after all.

I can't remember if BBC London ever tried it, I know they had access to the 'jamcams' as they used them at Breakfast and on their website.
NL
Ne1L C
Slight deviation here. Did ATV London pre-68 have local news?
IS
Inspector Sands

The BBC didn’t really react for years to what ITV were doing in Kent, East Sussex and Oxfordshire. All a bit odd really

I remember Greg Dyke saying that Newsroom Southeast's other name was 'F**k Off Kent'

I think it was because of the idea that London news is national news, which of course is complete nonsense. It was only when devolution came along that they gave London it's own TV news, seems crazy now that it wasn't before 2001
CL
Closedown

I've never spotted any in my various dives through the TV Times/newspaper archives.
MA
Markymark

I've never spotted any in my various dives through the TV Times/newspaper archives.

I’m not sure any of the ‘big 4/ timeshare’ companies did local news pre-1968 ?

Perhaps Thames and LWT weren't obliged to post 68 either ! Not until the IBA took an interest in the idea late 70s ?
NW
nwtv2003

Granada had News in the form of Scene at 6.30 and Northern Newscast. The former was apparently the first news on British TV to report the assassination of JFK. I believe ATV had news from Birmingham too prior to ‘68.
JK
JKDerry

No, Lew Grade insisted that it was not worth the money or effort to establish a weekend news service for London as it was just for two days pre-1968 changes.

Three After Six was the main weekday London regional news of a sort. 6.08pm every weeknight usually except during the summer, Easter, Christmas, bank holidays and whenever Rediffusion got bored.
MA
Markymark

Granada had News in the form of Scene at 6.30 and Northern Newscast. The former was apparently the first news on British TV to report the assassination of JFK. I believe ATV had news from Birmingham too prior to ‘68.

Ah, OK. One clue perhaps might be to look up when the BBC in a particular region started showing local news. To within a week or so they launched ‘South at Six’ when Southern launched Day by Day in 1961, and BBC Plymouth launched a week before Westward took to the air the same year.
NL
Ne1L C
http://abcatlarge.co.uk/here-is-the-news/
MA
Markymark

The BBC didn’t really react for years to what ITV were doing in Kent, East Sussex and Oxfordshire. All a bit odd really

I remember Greg Dyke saying that Newsroom Southeast's other name was 'F**k Off Kent'

I think it was because of the idea that London news is national news, which of course is complete nonsense. It was only when devolution came along that they gave London it's own TV news, seems crazy now that it wasn't before 2001

Ironically the London and SE news on the R4 opt ( that exisited until about 1980) only ever seemed to have news about East Kent ! ( This was during the era of Radio Medway, before it expanded to cover the whole county)

Newer posts