The Newsroom

Brexit Dramarama

UPDATE | Extension to 31st Jan 2020 (November 2018)

IS
Inspector Sands

Also, one big pet peeve of mine is when aerial footage shown here in the US and I assume elsewhere they keep the NAT sound of the helicopter.

What I find really annoying is the sound of the helicopter ruining all the coverage on the ground. The 2010 election was the worst example as there was a week of toing and froing as the politicians decided on which coalition to have and every speech, every PTC, every bit of presentation on the ground had the drone of one, sometimes two helicopters hovering overhead.

Imagine if the great speeches of history had the same treatment - Martin Luther King fighting to be heard over the sound of multiple competing helicopters
RK
Rkolsen World News
dvboy posted:
On the website it's described as 7 and a half minutes sped up to 90 seconds (I mean it's quite obviously sped up when you see the pace some of the people are walking at)

Thank you.

ITN switched from the BBC to Sky last year and buys into the pictures on an ad-hoc basis (depending on the nature of the story and how good the pictures are etc)..

Presumably a factor in that was when the BBC broke that deal by using the helicopter for the Cliff Richard raid without telling ITN

Surprised that ITN doesn’t have their own contract - with ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5 News.
Don’t let anyone treat you like you’re a VO/SOT when you’re a PKG.
BM
BM11

ITN switched from the BBC to Sky last year and buys into the pictures on an ad-hoc basis (depending on the nature of the story and how good the pictures are etc)..

Presumably a factor in that was when the BBC broke that deal by using the helicopter for the Cliff Richard raid without telling ITN

And prehaps the feeling that the BBC management were going to severely limit or even discontinue the use of a helicopter.
Last edited by BM11 on 24 March 2019 8:09pm
MA
Markymark Meridian (Thames Valley) South Today

Surprised that ITN doesn’t have their own contract - with ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5 News.

I’m not surprised. Helicopters are not a major component of UK news gathering, ( and arguably the Cliff Richard story simply got the BBC into hot water) None of ITN’s client broadcasters have continuous news programmes, and their main news programmes ( that are too tightly produced to be able to have a minute or two of helecoptor footage ( live or recorded) and for six months of the year are after sunset. The present arrangement to simply purchase 15 seconds worth of footage of a central London protest march etc is more than adequate
--
Avatar credit: © BBC, ITA, BREMA 1967
GE
thegeek Founding member London London

I didn't know about the change in arrangement - there's a bit of background to the spat here.

The BBC-branded helicopter, G-TAKE, used to be registered as G-OITN, and carried ITN livery.
BM
BM11
Tonight's key votes are from 10pm onwards.
If they are votes tommrow or Wednesday they should be at 7.
5pm on thursday.
Last edited by BM11 on 25 March 2019 2:17pm
BR
Brekkie Wales Wales Today
Do wonder if a channel has missed a niche in the market by offering a Brexit free bulletin.
Be nicer and more tolerant to each other. Them's the rules.
JL
JamesLaverty1925 Central (East) East Midlands Today
Do wonder if a channel has missed a niche in the market by offering a Brexit free bulletin.

I had half expected someone (most likely C5) to do so at some point. Maybe one of the channels that skew to a younger audience that don't always carry news (ITV2, E4, etc) could do so?
FG
FraserGJ Wales Wales Today

This would be perfect for BBC3 - a replay of the 1, 6 and/or 10 with the Brexit portions skipped over (some sort of "The Chart Show" style fast-forwarding effect would be perfect).
TI
TIGHazard Tyne Tees Look North (North East)

This would be perfect for BBC3 - a replay of the 1, 6 and/or 10 with the Brexit portions skipped over (some sort of "The Chart Show" style fast-forwarding effect would be perfect).

I do struggle to wonder how 60 seconds would have covered it.
DV
DVB Cornwall West Country (West) Spotlight
Tomorrow’s indicative vote coverage will be fascinating. Least because the rules of Parliamentary Business have been ripped up and therefore as a result those of Parliamentary coverage are null and void for the debate also. I suspect it’ll be made up on the hoof as things move on.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member Central (West) Midlands Today

I do struggle to wonder how 60 seconds would have covered it.

Don't forget they had a ticker as well for 60 seconds so they could have filled the audio bit with "Brexit, no deal, resignations, yada yada" and thrown anything else on there.

I dare say it would be similar to when they did the death of Michael Jackson in 2009:

Newer posts

No further posts are being accepted for this topic