TV Home Forum

Split Personality

A question about ITV pre 1968 (March 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NT
Night Thoughts

Happened routinely towards the end of ITV regional identities. Carlton would introduce Home and Away, the centre break world have LWT bumpers.

AFAIK, the closest Carlton and LWT got to a handover was on a Friday during the 1994 World Cup - match coverage started at 5.15, I think it was a Carlton ad break followed by LWT continuity.
NT
Night Thoughts
It was always strange to me why LWT never tried to bother producing a local news programme by themselves from the late 1970s.

Well, they did do The London Programme each week as current affairs from the late 70s, which is a brilliant excuse to show a video of its fantastic opening titles/music

And the Six O'Clock Show did some softer news/ current affairs stuff in and around the corny gags. (Here's a version where the LWT ident failed to appear...)

IS
Inspector Sands
I don't think the LWT ident didn't appear, it looks like its a studio recording rather than an off air so you might not expect it to include the continuity before it. Not sure why the news would be on it too, but look at the glitch, maybe a change of source into the VT machine or record line?

I used to love the 6 o Clock Show. Even now it has a unique style. One example of this is the way they do an item on something and include an interview with someone not necessarily connected with it. Danny Baker tells a great story in one of his biographies about being sent out to interview Kenneth Williams

The travel news from the helicopter didn't last long I think, but Fred Housego continued as a regular for a while
Last edited by Inspector Sands on 25 March 2019 6:06pm
MA
Markymark

I used to love the 6 o Clock Show. Even now it has a unique style. One example of this is the way they do an item on something and include an interview with someone not necessarily connected with it. Danny Baker tells a great story in one of his biographies about being sent out to interview Kenneth Williams

The travel news from the helicopter didn't last long I think, but Fred Housego continues as a regular for a while

Wasn’t the show Greg Dyke’s first programme as a producer? Hadn’t he joined LWT in the 70s as a journalist working on Weekend World and the London Programme?
:-(
A former member
Yes he did.

Why was 6 oclock show axed? Friday now just felt meh compared to it.
MA
Markymark
Yes he did.

I agree, it was a good show, it might have just worked on a macro regional level with TVS and Anglia taking it too ? ( As they did with Sunday Sunday?)
NT
Night Thoughts
Yes he did.

Pressure to do something with more hard news, I think. This would have coincided with the launch of LWT News?
A former member
LWT News started in Jan 88, Six show never come off until July. Friday now started I think in early September, it just felt flat.
NL
Ne1L C
It was always strange to me why LWT never tried to bother producing a local news programme by themselves from the late 1970s.

Well, they did do The London Programme each week as current affairs from the late 70s, which is a brilliant excuse to show a video of its fantastic opening titles/music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHp8uXbzeOk

And the Six O'Clock Show did some softer news/ current affairs stuff in and around the corny gags. (Here's a version where the LWT ident failed to appear...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cjc-an0jTY8

That's a good point. Not wanting to go into fantasy scheduling but surely a set of brief bulletins early afternoon/late night before '82 and perhaps a 30 minute bulletin at 5.15 after '82 supplemented by brief updates throughout the weekend might have worked.
A former member
Six o'clock show ticked alot of boxes for its license along with Sunday Sunday, and bygum both were popular.
IS
Inspector Sands

Wasn’t the show Greg Dyke’s first programme as a producer? Hadn’t he joined LWT in the 70s as a journalist working on Weekend World and the London Programme?

Not sure, but his role in the credits was Editor. From that he got the job to bring the same sort of populism to TVam to turn that round

Notice Paul Ross was a researcher in that 1982 episode, in this episode from 1987 he's risen to Editor. Another big name in the credits in 1987 is Jeff Pope, now an award winning screenwriter and producer.one of his credits being Danny Bakers autobiographical sitcom Cradle to Grave

https://youtu.be/2naKW8e96nM

Interestingly there's an episode on YouTube which is titled '6 o Clock Show Saturday' never heard of that but presumably it didn't last long. One of the appeals of the programme for me was the 'start of the weekend' feel
https://youtu.be/Fd7ygDnEHY8
SW
Steve Williams
Pressure to do something with more hard news, I think. This would have coincided with the launch of LWT News?

Was probably also something to do with The Six O'Clock Show being quite an expensive show, with LWT looking to make big savings ahead of franchise renewal.

Newer posts