TV Home Forum

Blue Planet Live

(March 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
FA
fanoftv
Not so much a presentation post (though the graphics and wipes are impressive and detailed); with three locations in use around the world, Australia, Mexico and the Bahamas, how will this programme be put together? Will the gallery be in London with satellite feeds providing the footage similarly to a news broadcast, or will it be based in one of the locations with the other feeds linking in? I’m very impressed by stable HD satellite links from an Australian island, boats in Mexico and in the sea in the Bahamas.
GE
thegeek Founding member
It's being hubbed from glamorous Ealing!

CO
commseng
From the boat in Bimini it was all very close to the edge. The uplink is on land and the power has been going on and off for the last three days. We were using a small standby genny for the show.
On the boat other issues stopped the batteries charging last night. We just about made it to the end of the programme before the second set gave up.
It has been very busy and this is just one site!
FA
fanoftv
Very impressive; it also sounds incredibly challenging. Well done to all involved in making it.

I noticed that there were many involved on the end credits, it seemed to be very quick and came across a little distorted on iplayer as they scrolled up.
GE
thegeek Founding member
From the boat in Bimini it was all very close to the edge. The uplink is on land and the power has been going on and off for the last three days. We were using a small standby genny for the show.
I'd rather be having problems with an uplink in the Bahamas rather than, say, a rainy car park in Twickenham Smile

Good work all round though - quite proud to have so many colleagues working on such a complicated show.
CO
commseng
It certainly beats a rainy car park! There are always a lot of challenges working somewhere so remote, you have to be confident that you have everything you need, as there are no shops and no Amazon delivery for things you have forgotten. I never knew there were so many different mains sockets in the USA, some of them obsolete which are still in use for split 208V across two live phases. If only the electricity would keep coming out of them I would be much happier!
UKnews, bilky asko and thegeek gave kudos
MA
Markymark
It certainly beats a rainy car park! There are always a lot of challenges working somewhere so remote, you have to be confident that you have everything you need, as there are no shops and no Amazon delivery for things you have forgotten. I never knew there were so many different mains sockets in the USA, some of them obsolete which are still in use for split 208V across two live phases. If only the electricity would keep coming out of them I would be much happier!

Be careful in Switzerland, some domestic style mains sockets carry two phases. We were on site once, and the wiremen’s ghetto blaster worked really well for about 6 seconds, before bursting into flames
CO
commseng
With a combination of split phase mains, local 110v, transformer generated 220v, plus a 110v genny there is an awful lot that could go wrong if we are not careful.

Newer posts