The Newsroom

BBC World News | 30th October 2017 Onwards

(October 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NG
noggin Founding member
Do you mean the camera being used to cover Mariko went into a menu mode showing thumbnails of clips?

If so that's a result of the camcorder going into replay mode (to allow you to watch rushes you've already recorded, either for review or playout purposes). You see it happen occasionally on live feeds, but usually when the camera operator believes they are no longer on-air.

Nope, it popped up a Yes/No option (where the options were Ok and Cancel) with the question being like "Some data on this memory card needs to be recovered. Recover? If you don't do it now, you can do it later" or words to that effect. After that had been shown on screen for about 5-10 seconds, it went back to Kasia in the studio, before going back to Mariko a minute later.

That sounds like a standard OSD overlay then (rather than the full-screen UI).

Some cameras have two outputs (one with the OSD, one without the OSD) or a menu option to enable or disable the OSD on the external output. (If you are plugging in an external viewfinder you want the OSD, if you are plugging in the camera to an external link device, you probably don't)
SS
SuperSajuuk
Has anyone noticed that whenever Babita is presenting Newsday in the last couple of weeks, she is now sitting in the chair the whole time? This leads to odd camera angles when conducting live interviews in the programme now, with the cameras positioned as if she is standing up. All other hosts still seem to present standing up, and i believe she was off-air for several weeks, hopefully she is doing ok Thumbs up
Last edited by SuperSajuuk on 25 March 2019 1:26am
AS
AlexS
She has spent much of the past several weeks on the road filming for what I presume is a new documentary series according to her twitter feed.
WO
Worzel
Has anyone noticed that whenever Babita is presenting Newsday in the last couple of weeks, she is now sitting in the chair the whole time? This leads to odd camera angles when conducting live interviews in the programme now, with the cameras positioned as if she is standing up. All other hosts still seem to present standing up, and i believe she was off-air for several weeks, hopefully she is doing ok Thumbs up

I'm sure it'll all become clear at some point!
DV
dvboy
As soon as they switched over to Mariko Oi in Christchurch after the weather, just before 00.30am, there was a technical issue about recovering data from a memory card. Unusual issue and one i’ve rarely seen before, they eventually returned to her before the live feed began.

I've just spotted that it was caught here

Lou Scannon and SuperSajuuk gave kudos
IS
Inspector Sands
What is it with newsreaders who don't know the difference between to and from? The line from Christchurch was lost, not to
RK
Rkolsen
What is it with newsreaders who don't know the difference between to and from? The line from Christchurch was lost, not to

True, but you could consider they at NBH were connecting to a camera in Christchurch.
DV
dvboy

I'm not sure it really matters?
SuperSajuuk and BBI45 gave kudos
DE
deejay
It matters hugely when you’re booking circuits, fault finding and chasing errors. To those of us who work on the technical side of things, it’s baffling that others can’t see the difference!
Lou Scannon, dosxuk and Rkolsen gave kudos
DO
dosxuk
It matters hugely when you’re booking circuits, fault finding and chasing errors. To those of us who work on the technical side of things, it’s baffling that others can’t see the difference!

See also - people who describe cables backwards "I want a 13A socket to 16A adaptor" Mad
IS
Inspector Sands

Yes, I'm sure at least once I've started working on a booking request that's the wrong way round because of that mistake. Plus if someone buzzes through from a gallery and says 'we've lost the line to Brussels' I'll assume that it's the clean feed.
DV
dvboy

It might matter then but does it really matter when the presenter says it? It's not as if the viewers know the difference.

Newer posts