TV Home Forum

TV Breakdown Appreciation Thread

We'll return as soon as possible. (April 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MA
Markymark

When that ad break aired, it was during the initial period, when the Channel 4 airtime was sold by the regional ITV companies. Notice, one of the adverts was for new houses in the south of England, so this would've been played out by TVS in Southampton. Tony thought that the other adverts you saw, like the one for the houses, were being played out from cartridges, but the last one was clearly cinefilm. It appears that, what happened was the projector, or whatever device was used for transmitting cine, wouldn't start in time, and so the shambles you saw, with black screen, the purple, the black, the brief music, the yellow 4 logo, the black, and then the countdown, was the consequences of this.

I'm surprised they were using TK for ads on C4, I thought TVS had gone to 100% VT Cart playout for C4 ? (bluecortina will know) It's possible the lead in we saw had been dubbed to the cart, if you get my drift.

The yellow '4' on a blue background I saw a couple of times 82-93. TVS used it if the incoming feed from C4 in London was lost (usually because of a BT lines failure). Probably a black and white caption camera, fed through a 'Cox Box', (perhaps redeployed from Southern's caption system, that was 'coloursed b/w)
IT
itvblocks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umuKK33DZWY

Sounds like someone had other plans during this opening of Coronation Street as seen on UTV in 2005

Going back to this, interesting how their was no apology for what had happened. Didn't get the presenter back on screen. Heck, not even a little caption on screen saying "We apologise for the loss of sound"
SC
Si-Co

When that ad break aired, it was during the initial period, when the Channel 4 airtime was sold by the regional ITV companies. Notice, one of the adverts was for new houses in the south of England, so this would've been played out by TVS in Southampton. Tony thought that the other adverts you saw, like the one for the houses, were being played out from cartridges, but the last one was clearly cinefilm. It appears that, what happened was the projector, or whatever device was used for transmitting cine, wouldn't start in time, and so the shambles you saw, with black screen, the purple, the black, the brief music, the yellow 4 logo, the black, and then the countdown, was the consequences of this.

I'm surprised they were using TK for ads on C4, I thought TVS had gone to 100% VT Cart playout for C4 ? (bluecortina will know) It's possible the lead in we saw had been dubbed to the cart, if you get my drift.

The yellow '4' on a blue background I saw a couple of times 82-93. TVS used it if the incoming feed from C4 in London was lost (usually because of a BT lines failure). Probably a black and white caption camera, fed through a 'Cox Box', (perhaps redeployed from Southern's caption system, that was 'coloursed b/w)

As the OP hinted at, why on earth didn’t TVS just opt back into the Channel 4 sustaining feed and take the “follows shortly” caption and music (which we hear a snippet of at one point)? It was on the feed for reasons such as this, and would have looked better on air than the mess viewers saw.

Here’s an example of when things went wrong in another region, possibly Granada, in 1988. They opted back to the sustaining feed when the ads at first wouldn’t play and then rewound on air:

MA
Markymark
Si-Co posted:

As the OP hinted at, why on earth didn’t TVS just opt back into the Channel 4 sustaining feed and take the “follows shortly” caption and music (which we hear a snippet of at one point)? It was on the feed for reasons such as this, and would have looked better on air than the mess viewers saw.

I don't know, it's a good question. TVS though did have an aversion to showing C4's break fillers, even at 2am and the final break with no ads sold, they would still pack the break with PIFs, and not just leave C4 open and bugger off home.

I don't think I ever saw a C4 break filler (for whatever reason) in the TVS region !
IT
itvblocks
Sorry to interupt but speaking of UTV, look what appeared in my YouTube's recommended section!

UTV break bumper cutting to a clean ITV1 ident? In the wrong aspect ratio too!

TO
theTOTHlad2002
Or what about this one where the weather fails to show up?
RO
robertclark125
Another channel 4 ad break breakdown, this one is from 1984. Given there is an advert for Youngers Scotch Bitter, I'd suggest it's from either Border, Tyne Tees, Granada, or possibly Yorkshire.

SP
Steve in Pudsey
Or the one when UTV Live's sound desk crashed and they had to decamp to the pres studio - with a very dodgy cut to the sports presenter, both keyed against the same background

thegeek and theTOTHlad2002 gave kudos
RO
robertclark125
Little breakdown on ITV4 a few minutes ago as I write. The snooker has clearly well overrun, and at 2315 during the final frame, a trailer, for ITV4's La Liga coverage was playing out. After about 15 seconds, went back to the snooker.

Appears to be a simple case of the automated playout not being over-ridden or tuned off.
RO
robertclark125
We mentioned earlier in this thread that, during the period when ITV sold C4 airtime, the regional ITV centres could see the C4 output. Tony Currie mentioned that in the clip of the clock still being up after closedown, he was the one who made the phone call, which we heard when the phone rung. If the regional ITV centres could see the C4 output, were C4 able to see the adverts being played out on each of the ITV regions on C4?
MA
Markymark
We mentioned earlier in this thread that, during the period when ITV sold C4 airtime, the regional ITV centres could see the C4 output. Tony Currie mentioned that in the clip of the clock still being up after closedown, he was the one who made the phone call, which we heard when the phone rung. If the regional ITV centres could see the C4 output, were C4 able to see the adverts being played out on each of the ITV regions on C4?

If they could, then it would have only been what they could have received off air at Charlotte St I suspect. Definitely CP of course, perhaps also Anglia from Sandy Heath, and TVS from Hannington.

The IBA however monitored all ITV and C4 regions from their four ROCs (Regional Operation Centres)
RO
robertclark125
So when there was a cock up during an advert break, like the TVS ones above, or the Granada one, if anyone was to phone the region, for an explanation, would it have been the IBA or C4?

Newer posts