The Newsroom

Brexit Dramarama

UPDATE | Extension to 31st Jan 2020 (November 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BR
Brekkie
I'm not a BBC basher by any means, but I can't quite believe that they thought this was worthy of broadcast

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-politics-47628609/commons-speaker-john-bercow-questioned-on-brexit-vote-decision

What does it add to the story? Bloke who doesn't talk to the media refuses to talk to the media.

I'm amazed the Editors chose to show it, it's just amateurish. There was no way he was going to answer those questions, which anybody familiar with the role of Speaker should have known.

They also had a rather lazy "we've found content on Instagram which might be inappropriate" last night. Surprise surprise if you look for such images you will find them.
BK
bkman1990
Huw Edwards is leading the BBC News at 6 from Brussels with Sophie Raworth in E. Christian Fraser is on BBC NC & World.
BR
Brekkie
Misread "leading" for "leaving" there. Has the "ban" on anchors being sent to location been lifted then. Although this is arguably the most significant story of our lifetimes I'm not sure the anchor being in Brussels today adds anything.
DV
dvboy
It's been worth sending Christian Fraser. He's been very good and he's been able to have guests with him (mainly European journalists). I've not watched Huw so can't comment.

At least Brussels is quick and relatively cheap to get to, and they don't have to send a lot of crew and equipment as there's media facilities there.
JamesWorldNews and Custard56 gave kudos
SL
Shaun Linden
Is that a media hub where they broadcast from in the European parliament?
CU
Custard56
I've always thought Christian Fraser (who is excellent on Beyond 100 Days with Katty Kay) deserves a higher profile on the News Channel and BBC News generally.
Last edited by Custard56 on 21 March 2019 9:13pm
JamesWorldNews and dvboy gave kudos
NE
Newsroom
I've always thought Christian Fraser (who is excellent on Beyond 100 Days with Katty Kay) deserved a higher profile on the News Channel and BBC News generally.

A serious candidate for senior presenter on Network TV one day I'd say.
JamesWorldNews and Custard56 gave kudos
DV
dvboy
Farage was on the NC so I took the opportunity to flick over to see what CNN were doing and Richard Quest is presenting live from the press pit.

There's a lot of filling going on while we wait for these press conferences, with little bits leaking out every now and then about what might be decided.
LL
London Lite Founding member
Sky News has The Pledge on. I hope they cut into the nonsensical rabble for any breaking news from Brussels?
JL
JamesLaverty1925
Misread "leading" for "leaving" there. Has the "ban" on anchors being sent to location been lifted then. Although this is arguably the most significant story of our lifetimes I'm not sure the anchor being in Brussels today adds anything.

Tbf Clive Myrie has been in Christchurch this week, but has been introduced more as a "reporter". I don't want to get off topic but I'd have thought he'd have qualified as an anchor.
BB
BBI45
Sky News has The Pledge on. I hope they cut into the nonsensical rabble for any breaking news from Brussels?

Is the nonsensical rabble from The Pledge or the EU? Laughing

They probably would have been ready to go live if there was any news from Brussels, but that has been proven to not be the case, and Sky News has returned to live coverage following The Pledge.
BK
bkman1990
RTE's Tony Connelly reported from Brussels tonight near the end of it's Nine O'Clock News, although unconfirmed for now, that talk about the new exit date for Brexit has been concluded for now. TM has been granted a new extension from the EU for the 22nd of May as the new exit date for Brexit if the WA is passed in the HoC next week. There is a whole lot of confusing information about this story as it has changed throughout the whole day as we go into the night. I know that May 22nd is the day before the European Parliament elections. April 12th is the exit date if the WA is not passed in the HoC. That is also the deadline for applying for the EP elections. All we need now is the official news conference from TM & the heads of the EU to confirm this news later on this evening. Is TM still scheduled to have a news conference in the coming hour or so as this draft text is being agreed tonight?

Here is a tweet from Alberto Nardelli from Buzzfeed to make this information clearer.

It explains that TM & the MP's in the HoC now have to decide on a vote for two withdrawal dates on Brexit next week.

If the WA is passed next week in the Commons; Brexit will happen on the 22nd of May.

Although; if the WA fails to get through MV3 by then. The legal date for Brexit will happen on the 12th of April.
Last edited by bkman1990 on 21 March 2019 10:19pm - 4 times in total

Newer posts