TV Home Forum

Lorraine Kelly escapes £1.2 million tax bill

ITV hire her to play "Lorraine Kelly" rules judge (March 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
WH
Whataday Founding member
Lorraine not being on the GMTV payroll also explains why she was able to present This Morning without any fuss when they were both separate companies.

Also important to note that a lot of people in the industry (not just presenters) went freelance in 92/93 due to the changes in ITV and the arrival of publisher broadcasters. In fact one of the reasons for opening up the industry was to encourage this.
RD
RDJ
Lorraine's contract must have changed in 2012 when she was signed up to host Daybreak as well as Lorraine. Unless it was at this point that she became Freelance.

Though this was very soon after her horse riding accident which took her off the screens for the majority of the year. I'd be surprised if she wasn't getting sick pay then considering the length of time she was off screens.
DO
dosxuk
HMRC have been running a big crackdown on people in all industries that are paid as contractors but are in effect employees. It's not just a handful of rich celebs being targeted, it's across the board. Obviously the celebs will be more notable because they can afford the big lawyers to challenge the decisions and are already publicly known figures. Lorraine Kelly being caught up is much more interest to the public than a random IT contractor who's been working in the same government IT position that nobody has ever heard of for 10 years.

These decisions are being challenged by both employers and employees, and the rules are as clear as mud, but basically if you're working for the same client regularly, HMRC wants you being paid by PAYE. This decision is just going to make things even more confusing.
WH
Whataday Founding member
RDJ posted:
Lorraine's contract must have changed in 2012 when she was signed up to host Daybreak as well as Lorraine. Unless it was at this point that she became Freelance.

As I said, everything suggests she's been freelance since the end of 1992.
MA
Markymark
HMRC wants you being paid by PAYE . This decision is just going to make things even more confusing.

That's exactly it, nothing specifically to do with broadcasting, or being a 'sleb. You've got on one hand
the government of the day saying how wonderful it is (sic) to have 'micro' companies, and people empowered as freelancers, and on the other hand HMRC trying to homogenise the employment market to a uniform PAYE model
BM
BM11
AlI suspect quite a lot of Presenters are freelance, the majority work across different channels or shows produced by different companies on the same channel.
Also HMRC might appeal thiso it might slowly make its way up the judicial system.
WH
Whataday Founding member
BM11 posted:
AlI suspect quite a lot of Presenters are freelance, the majority work across different channels or shows produced by different companies on the same channel.
Also HMRC might appeal thiso it might slowly make its way up the judicial system.

Quite a lot of cameramen and other technicians are also freelance for the same reason.

I'd be surprised if HMRC appeal because their case was so comprehensively dismissed. The judge said it wasn't even a borderline case.
JO
Jonwo
Wasn’t Richard Madeley paid more than Judy on This Morning because he was freelance and she was still on the Granada payroll? I think once she quit Granada then they were able to increase her salary.
AA
Aaron_2015
This is somewhat surprising, I’d always assumed Lorraine was directly employed by ITV/ITV Breakfast.

Given that Phillip Schofield and Holly Willoughby are on golden handcuff contracts with ITV, I’m guessing they won’t be able to argue that they’re freelance? Although both have other sources of income from partnerships.

It would be interesting to see which ITV presenters are employed by ITV and which are freelance, Stacey Solomon said only recently she is freelance, and I believe Ranvir Singh has also mentioned it too. As the likes of Ben Shephard and Kate Garraway work with a range of broadcasters, I’m guessing they’re freelance too?
WH
Whataday Founding member
I believe all the Loose Women are freelance due to the rota nature of the show.

As I said before, it is a practice that has been encouraged for decades, particularly since the Broadcasting Act 1990. The likes of GMTV, Carlton or Meridian, weren't interested in having a huge payroll of talent when they could hire them as and when needed.

Lorraine's getting such a kicking over this in the media and it's not deserved.
BR
Brekkie

Given that Phillip Schofield and Holly Willoughby are on golden handcuff contracts with ITV, I’m guessing they won’t be able to argue that they’re freelance?

It'll be the company rather than the individual who agree to work exclusively for the channel.

What would be interesting to know is who is responsible for hiring the fill in hosts, who clearly just play Lorraine Kelly rather than themselves.
Last edited by Brekkie on 21 March 2019 5:38pm
AN
Andrew Founding member
Well ITV News just did a hatchet job on here, focussing on the fact that she is apparently pretending to be nice on TV as an act.

Comments on Twitter are all hating on her, saying it’s disgraceful that she ‘doesn’t pay tax’ and she is personally starving the NHS of funds. Also lots of anger at how much she gets paid.

Newer posts