The Newsroom

ITV News

Split from ITV News 2013 Rebrand (January 2015)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MA
Markymark
News at Ten has ended at the usual time, despite May being expected shortly. A little surprising given the importance of any announcement, but I suppose the argument for going off air is that May could be half an hour or even an hour later than expected.

Given how media conscious May’s team is, I suspect there is some annoyance from No. 10 that both main news bulletins have been missed.

May's announcements are generally empty and she's a PM who has repeatedly avoided the media, so no coincidence the announcement falls after the bulletin. The speech itself isn't the news anyway, it's the analysis and fall out which they're doing this morning anyway.

Ultimately though nothing has changed due to last nights announcement. Indeed nothing has changed since this deal was first due to be voted on three months ago.

Indeed, and (certainly everyone I talk to) has lost interest in the day to day 'progress', like most of the rest
of the nation I suspect, I buggered off to bed last night at 22:25
AA
Aaron_2015
News at Ten has ended at the usual time, despite May being expected shortly. A little surprising given the importance of any announcement, but I suppose the argument for going off air is that May could be half an hour or even an hour later than expected.

Given how media conscious May’s team is, I suspect there is some annoyance from No. 10 that both main news bulletins have been missed.

May's announcements are generally empty and she's a PM who has repeatedly avoided the media, so no coincidence the announcement falls after the bulletin. The speech itself isn't the news anyway, it's the analysis and fall out which they're doing this morning anyway.

Ultimately though nothing has changed due to last nights announcement. Indeed nothing has changed since this deal was first due to be voted on three months ago.

May and her team seem to try to control the media rather than avoid it. Questions submitted in advance, limited interviews, etc.

When May made the announcement outside No. 10 (when BBC One was showing the football), she left it until slightly after 10pm so the news programs could start and show the speech in full. It would have been in May’s interest for the press conference to be shown on both bulletins, even if the deal hasn’t really changed.
JK
JK08
Some quite nice graphics for the online ITV News Brexit Special, reminds me of the ABC News Live streaming channel in the U.S.

For reference, here's ABC News Live's graphics
GM
Gary McEwan
Poor Mary Nightingale has just had her very own Theresa May moment and had to go to Joel Hill for his report earlier expected...
AN
Andrew Founding member
To be fair she often sounds like she is one step away from losing her voice most nights.

Tonight will definitely make the tabloids
KE
kernow
To be fair she often sounds like she is one step away from losing her voice most nights.

Tonight will definitely make the tabloids

I can just imagine what the headline will be:

"Viewers SHOCKED as newsreader loses voice live on air!"
BR
Brekkie
Hasn't she spoken about how she's prone to losing her voice before. Adds a bit of danger to the bulletin.
watchingtv and DJ Dave gave kudos
RD
RDJ
She didn't recover much after Joel's report. She had to struggle on after exclaiming "I've got the ITN cold!".

She even ended the bulletin saying "I'm off home now for a Lemsip or maybe a Whisky!".
DJ
DJ Dave
RDJ posted:
She didn't recover much after Joel's report. She had to struggle on after exclaiming "I've got the ITN cold!".

She even ended the bulletin saying "I'm off home now for a Lemsip or maybe a Whisky!".

Know how she feels, had it nearly 4 weeks now Shocked
AN
Andrew Founding member
It didn’t make the tabloids. Presumably the people who the Mail and Express pay to watch ITV all day clock off at 6 after writing a story based on taking seriously a bit of Bradley Walsh’s banter.
KE
kernow
It made the Huffington Post:

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/mary-nightingalecold-coughingitvitn-evening-news-video-watch_uk_5c8fef5ae4b04ed2c1ad461f?
:-(
A former member
Was there no one else in the building?

Newer posts