TV Home Forum

Coronation Street

Costa & Coop p68: Repeats on ITV3: Are there too many spoilers? (June 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
WH
Whataday Founding member
Jez posted:
I don't remember them ever doing that.

It was possibly a one off, during the ITV hearts era with the smoke generic credits. "After EastEnders" was spoken and appeared on screen. I believe TVForum was given a heads up by a member that something different would be happening in the credits, and a video was posted here, probably long gone though.
BH
BillyH Founding member
Was it due to some huge Eastenders storyline happening that night/week, or just a random experiment? Like when Coronation Street was mentioned in an Eastenders episode (by Dot Cotton I think) about a decade ago.

Hearts era does fit with a huge and popular era for EE (Who Shot Phil, "You ain't my mother" etc) and a less popular one for Corrie, until it all switched around again in 2003/4.
WH
Whataday Founding member
Was it due to some huge Eastenders storyline happening that night/week, or just a random experiment? Like when Coronation Street was mentioned in an Eastenders episode (by Dot Cotton I think) about a decade ago.

It was definitely short lived, but I remember it clearly, even down to how the female announcer said it.

Corrie was mentioned in EastEnders as it was their 50th birthday.
DJ
DJ Dave
Freshco Car park looks a lot like Weatherfield General/Prison/High and ITV Studios. Laughing
JA
james-2001
Freshco is no longer in a shopping plaza like it was in the 90s either :p
BR
Brekkie
I'd have thought everyone in Weatherfield shopped at Fridl now.
JA
james-2001
I wonder what happened to Bettabuy, Superscoops and Firman's Freezers?

With the Co-Op and Dev's as well, how do they all stay in business?
AN
Andrew Founding member
I wonder what happened to Bettabuy, Superscoops and Firman's Freezers?

With the Co-Op and Dev's as well, how do they all stay in business?

Firmans was the one taken over by Freshcos in the plot back in the day. Eric Firman was a character in the show.

The fact they use the ITV exterior so often wouldn’t be so noticeable if it didn’t have such distinctive brickwork. I doubt 99% of viewers will notice though.

And actually there was actually a plot about Freschos moving to a new store, although with Pat Phelan involved it’s debatable if it was ever built. https://coronationstreet.fandom.com/wiki/Freshco

The one on the precinct is probably now a Quidland or M & B Bargains. Laughing
JB
JasonB
Looks like we didn't get the Granada Plus edit of the Christmas Day 1991 second episode!

EDIT: People on DS are saying they've missed the December 23rd 1991 episode?
Last edited by JasonB on 20 March 2019 3:41pm
JA
james-2001
I haven't got round to watching my recordings yet, but today's episodes were due to be the 23rd December and the first Xmas 1991 episode? The second Xmas 1991 episode should be on tomorrow. Unless they've somehow changed that at the last minute.

Granada Plus showed the Xmas 1991 episode uncut anyway (bar the couple of scenes being swapped around where the queen's speech originally was, but that may well have been an edit made for international export anyway)- they didn't have an Emmerdale that day to make up for the episode's longer running time (conversely, G+ quite frequently didn't have Coronation Street episodes around this time to make way for the numerous hour long Emmerdales in the late 90s/early 00s)
Last edited by james-2001 on 20 March 2019 3:52pm
JB
JasonB
There was some odd editing in todays episodes.

At the end of the first episode Bet is attacked by Des and just now in the second episode she's inviting him round like nothing has happened still dressed in the previous episode's outfit!
JA
james-2001
Yes, watching now, it seems like they've put the second Xmas day episode on today instead of the 23rd December episode. With the first Xmas day episode following it, skipping the 23rd december episode. Someone's messed up.

Will the 23rd December episode pop up tomorrow instead? Incredibly annoying that ITV3 don't have a social media presence.

Newer posts