TV Home Forum

Good Morning Britain

From Television Centre (April 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NA
natoswald
Looks like the 8am local news has been dropped today, due to coverage of the Christchurch Terror attack.
NA
natoswald
Lorraine preview dropped immediately after GMB so they could do a quick update on events, and the show had a proper close.
CW
CraigWills
Lorraine preview dropped immediately after GMB so they could do a quick update on events, and the show had a proper close.

Flows much better with a proper close, the rush to not get cut off by Lorraine Kelly each morning is awakward. They already preview Lorraine after the headlines at around 8:05. They could move that to after the 8:15am ad break, then do Lorraine Preview, Guest Interview, Weather, Close (allowing for a recap on the top story) straight to an ad break, then Lorraine starts from the ad break.
Lorraine’s show is now treat as a separate show so it’s odd that the two shows flow into each other.
AA
Aaron_2015
Kate plays up the ‘ditzy’ persona but as shown this morning she is perfectly capable with serious breaking news. Luckily Charlotte was covering for Ben (who’s filming Tipping Point), I dread to think how Richard Madeley or Jeremy Kyle would have handled it.
SP
Spencer
I noticed that shortly after 6am, GMB was running some of the New Zealand gunman's footage, up to and including the point where he raised his gun, about to enter one of the mosques.

When Jacqui Smith, in the discussion at 6.40, was urging social media sites to take down the video, Charlotte commented that they 'wouldn't be showing it from now on'.

Not sure whether other outlets had been using any of the footage, but it sounds like they decided they'd made the wrong judgement call on it at first.
SL
Shaun Linden
I thought the initial clip they showed was fine, but I understand why they decided in the end to pull it as it just fuels viewers to go and seek out the full clip which is horrific. The NZ PM also pleaded with social media sites to pull the clips and for people not to share it so I think all in all it was the right decision.
WH
Whataday Founding member
I just tuned in to find Piers and Susanna arguing about the location of a bin underneath the desk. I'm not sure how long it lasted because I switched off after three minutes.
RE
Reece24
I just tuned in to find Piers and Susanna arguing about the location of a bin underneath the desk. I'm not sure how long it lasted because I switched off after three minutes.

It's not the first time they've had a 10 minute discussion about the bin. It usually starts with Piers bragging about the fact he doesn't need scripts and pointing out Susanna and Charlotte do.
JK
JKDerry

It's not the first time they've had a 10 minute discussion about the bin. It usually starts with Piers bragging about the fact he doesn't need scripts and pointing out Susanna and Charlotte do.

And GMB wonder why they are not beating BBC Breakfast? Yes, BBC Breakfast may seem dull, but it is safe and secure breakfast place for news, local news etc. GMB has seem to just be the Piers Morgan Show in all but name. When Piers is not there, at least GMB takes a move towards being a near proper breakfast show (Thursday and Friday only).
GM
Gary McEwan

And GMB wonder why they are not beating BBC Breakfast? Yes, BBC Breakfast may seem dull, but it is safe and secure breakfast place for news, local news etc. GMB has seem to just be the Piers Morgan Show in all but name. When Piers is not there, at least GMB takes a move towards being a near proper breakfast show (Thursday and Friday only).

That's is when it's at its dullest I'm sorry to say a viewer. I often have a giggle to myself when Piers decides to go off on one.

As we all know, both Piers and Susanna can show what brilliant broadcasters they are when something awful happens and that's when it shows what they can really do.
BF
BFGArmy
The show lacks edge when he’s not on. There aren’t many presenters I can think of who will aggressively go after interviewees to get an answer out of them like Piers does. James O’Brien maybe?

I half joked in the end of year awards and predictions thread that Kay Burley would jump ship to GMB. It’s not going to happen in a million years, but she divides viewers in a similar way to Piers. She could be the Piers to Ben Shepherd’s Susanna.

I'm pushing the envelope massively here, but Andrew Neil can certainly go after the interviewees. I know it was only one interview, but when Richard Madeley went for Gavin Williamson, it showed that he can go after people as well if they are obfuscating from an answer.
Andrew Neil would be better for Political Editor and main stand-in with Ranvir doing Kate's Thursday newsreader slot

I've read it all now. Andrew Neil who has been the Beeb's go-to political presenter in recent weeks for the News Specials is never in a million years going to go to being a stand-in presenter/political correspondent on GMB which struggles to get half the viewers Breakfast does.
I can only imagine the sneering on here if somebody made a comment like that on DS.

[quote=Reece24" pid="1160142"]

That's is when it's at its dullest I'm sorry to say a viewer. I often have a giggle to myself when Piers decides to go off on one. .[/quote]

But this is the issue TVF struggles to grasp. Most viewers don't have much time if any for TV in the morning - so why would they tune in if they're as likely to see Piers ranting about a bin or Greggs rolls as they are the actual news? And the viewing figures bare it out - TVF may wish Breakfast had an all-singing, all-dancing studio with bombastic theme tunes that change every other month but viewers seem perfectly fine with how Breakfast is.
Brekkie and Custard56 gave kudos
CA
Cando
I often have a giggle to myself when Piers decides to go off on one.

You should probably find a support group.

Newer posts