The Newsroom

BBC News Channel Presentation - 21/03/16 onwards

Split from BBC News Channel General Discussion (March 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BR
Brekkie
It's almost certainly you.
DA
davidhorman
It does sound a lot like that, but I think he's just making random noises.

Last week when they showed a clip from Fighting with my Family I thought they'd left in a swear word: "F***, they want us!" but then I discovered one of the characters is called Zak.

Then there was that time when they left wholly-inappropriate-for-the-time-of-day footage from the opening scene of Deadpool playing while they talked about.
SS
SuperSajuuk
AlexS posted:
5:15. It could well be that wording but its a mutter at most.

I listened to it a few times, if you turn up the volume quite a bit, it is pretty audibly an f-bomb being used (you can hear the "uck" part if you listen closely enough), although you'd have to know what you're listening for and its debatable if he did use an f-bomb.

Am surprised the recorded version hadn't been edited in post-production to beep it, even if it was fairly innocent. Lest we don't forget all the fuss Westminster made over Jeremy Corbyn's "mutters" that nobody really could hear and only a lip reader could work out what may or may not have been said.
RN
Rolling News
AlexS posted:
5:15. It could well be that wording but its a mutter at most.

I listened to it a few times, if you turn up the volume quite a bit, it is pretty audibly an f-bomb being used (you can hear the "uck" part if you listen closely enough), although you'd have to know what you're listening for and its debatable if he did use an f-bomb.

Am surprised the recorded version hadn't been edited in post-production to beep it, even if it was fairly innocent. Lest we don't forget all the fuss Westminster made over Jeremy Corbyn's "mutters" that nobody really could hear and only a lip reader could work out what may or may not have been said.

Just watched the showing during Breakfast (on iPlayer) and it's been edited out on there.
SuperSajuuk and bilky asko gave kudos
MI
michaelb
Watched it back it’s definitely just a mutter
WO
Worzel
Surprised this has gone largely unnoticed on here but Victoria Derbyshire presented a standard BBC News channel style bulletin from E the other day covering the Christchurch Terror Attacks.

Pretty sure this was her first time presenting in E? Have to say I wasn't particularly impressed. The awkward pauses, the strange way she conducted the first live interview, the gazing at the camera, missing cues (see video below, 3mins in). 'I was scared' (massive pause) 'were you?' (long pause).

On several occasions now we've seen this during big breaking stories but you have to ask why the BBC continue to put her on the air as a lead presenter, when time and again she seems to struggle?

She seems competent in a rehearsed environment on her own show but seems to look awkward with anything that relies on ad-libbing.

Last edited by Worzel on 18 March 2019 8:43am - 3 times in total
DA
davidhorman
A very rapid zoom-out from one of the cameras in the studio during The Papers just now, going from a close-up on the floating paper to a moving wide shot in less than 2 seconds. There was a slight judder but otherwise the graphics kept up.
CR
Critique
Was watching and noticed this also - prior to this they'd not moved from the shot of the two panelists for a good five minutes, so perhaps something up with the VR as they managed to use it for the opening sequence but then it wasn't seen again until the zoom shot.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Surprised this has gone largely unnoticed on here but Victoria Derbyshire presented a standard BBC News channel style bulletin from E the other day covering the Christchurch Terror Attacks.

Pretty sure this was Wink her first time presenting in E? Have to say I wasn't particularly impressed. The awkward pauses, the strange way she conducted the first live interview, the gazing at the camera, missing cues (see video below, 3mins in). 'I was scared' (massive pause) 'were you?' (long pause).

On several occasions now we've seen this during big breaking stories but you have to ask why the BBC continue to put her on the air as a lead presenter, when time and again she seems to struggle?

She seems competent in a rehearsed environment on her own show but seems to look awkward with anything that relies on ad-libbing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vt-5cVNw2cY

Surprised they didn't get Joanna Gosling or whoever was due to read the news into her programme to present with her. I thought that it was well established practice to double head during developing breaking stories so one can prepare while the other is talking to camera etc

Or did they not want to put Victoria alongside somebody more experienced in handling breaking news on the telly in case they showed her up?
ST
Stuart
There is always one of us pesky TV Forumers around, even at 04:56 on Monday morning, to catch such slip-ups as this random piece of Ben Bland getting ready for The Briefing. Very Happy

It was followed by a 3 minute numeral-free countdown loop, which I haven't bothered saving.

SuperSajuuk and Custard56 gave kudos
HA
harshy Founding member

Pretty sure this was her first time presenting in E? Have to say I wasn't particularly impressed. The awkward pauses, the strange way she conducted the first live interview, the gazing at the camera, missing cues (see video below, 3mins in). 'I was scared' (massive pause) 'were you?' (long pause).

She should go back to radio where her robotic delivery and tone would be well suited.
RN
Rolling News

Pretty sure this was Wink her first time presenting in E? Have to say I wasn't particularly impressed. The awkward pauses, the strange way she conducted the first live interview, the gazing at the camera, missing cues (see video below, 3mins in). 'I was scared' (massive pause) 'were you?' (long pause).

Surprised they didn't get Joanna Gosling or whoever was due to read the news into her programme to present with her. I thought that it was well established practice to double head during developing breaking stories so one can prepare while the other is talking to camera etc

Or did they not want to put Victoria alongside somebody more experienced in handling breaking news on the telly in case they showed her up?

Surely it would have been better to continue with David Eades and Annita McVeigh in Studio C from the previous hour? Or at least put one of them on with her to help (although like you say they'd have probably shown her up).

Newer posts