« Topics
Brekkie31,805 posts since 4 Jan 2003 Recently warned
HTV Wales Wales Today
Even Alan Partridge raised just a wry smile rather than belly laughs. It was the same with the Mamma Mia and Four Weddings sketches - they both took themselves way to seriously.

Maybe in this age of social media they're a bit more conscious of the sometimes awkward juxtaposition between the comedy and the appeals, but isn't that the point of it?

Talking of the films I'm glad they didn't take to much notice of the "white saviour" criticism and as always with the African films it was pointed out that the locals on the ground do the work, but noteworthy the three main films of the night were done by Strictly stars rather than comedians.
I preferred the internet when it had a sense of humour.
Inspector Sands13,763 posts since 25 Aug 2004
The current generation of comedians mostly dont have the public profile to really appear for long on BBC1 without putting of the Core BBC1 viewers.

Yes, as I said.... but then again look at the early Red Nose Day programmes, many of those who appeared weren't that well known either. Jonathan Ross wasn't a BBC name in 1988, nor were Hale and Pace, Fry and Laurie or Harry Enfield.... and Vic and Bob must have been baffling to a 'BBC1 audience' in 1991.

There's plenty of comedy talent out there, both established and up and coming - the likes of 8 out of 10 Cats Does Countdown and Mock The Week never seem to run out
fanoftv and Brekkie gave kudos
"Fame does not equal funny" complains Danny Baker.

Talk about pot kettle black.

He's not to everyone's taste but he is funny, though more often he writes what is said rather than saying it himself. His radio show though is a joy to listen to
UKnews and Larry the Loafer gave kudos
Alan Partridge aside, though, it did feel a bit thin this year - sadly this is one of the very few outlets for sketch comedy left on television these days so it's a shame they didn't make more of it.

I don't think they've done proper sketches for many years. I always thought one of the best bits of the early Comic Relief were the sketch sequences when they just seemed to trawl TV Centre for anyone well known and get them in to perform:

Quote:
Reminds me of how dictionary corner in Cats Do Countdown has somehow become really important because it's one of the only TV spots for circuit comedians who don't fit with Live at the Apollo. Comic Relief is a rare chance to do one-off sketches so I'm surprised there wasn't very much this year. It'd also for example be a great opportunity to do something like a special Taskmaster throughout the night with people who wouldn't be able to commit to a full series.

Yep, Cats Countdown is basically a variety show. It's not just Dictionary Corner, each 'contestant' gets to do a little turn too.

A 'Comic Relief does Taskmaster' would have been the perfect thing to do.
Last edited by Inspector Sands on 17 March 2019 3:47pm
Brekkie and Blake Connolly gave kudos
JKDerry1,805 posts since 15 Oct 2016
UTV Newsline
Compared to Children in Need 2018 line up, how did 2019 Comic Relief match in terms of quality of routines, guests, performers etc? I would like to know what people think between the two events. Thanks.
62305823,471 posts since 19 Aug 2005
Both are bland, boring and are not very entertaining. I also believe the viewer figures well be lower, and there was very little content that would create a SM smash hit... All that aside no one cares since it brings in lots and lots of money for 50p budget.
gottago2,839 posts since 26 Aug 2004
London London
As good a time as any to post this, I’ve heard the Sport Relief telethon won’t be coming back, don’t know if they’ll be carrying on with the brand or indeed non-telethon Sport Relief programmes (I reckon they will). I think this is a good thing (for TV, not exactly great for fundraising!); a sports entertainment based telethon always felt like an odd proposition and some years felt particularly thinly spread with content. It will hopefully mean future Red Nose Days will have better content as well.
Brekkie31,805 posts since 4 Jan 2003 Recently warned
HTV Wales Wales Today
I do think Sport Relief worked better in June than March considering it encouraged people to get out and get active to raise money. Didn't they scrap the Sport Relief mile last time too?

I can't see it being scrapped completely - still raised £50m or so every other year.
I preferred the internet when it had a sense of humour.
BM11976 posts since 2 Jun 2017
London London
As good a time as any to post this, I’ve heard the Sport Relief telethon won’t be coming back, don’t know if they’ll be carrying on with the brand or indeed non-telethon Sport Relief programmes (I reckon they will). I think this is a good thing (for TV, not exactly great for fundraising!); a sports entertainment based telethon always felt like an odd proposition and some years felt particularly thinly spread with content. It will hopefully mean future Red Nose Days will have better content as well.

Whats the betting Red Nose Day becomes every year?