TV Home Forum

Sky's Branding

(October 2009)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JC
JCB
Personally i find the content cuts far more off putting than the picture quality. Some episodes are so badly butchered with abrupt cuts that are really distracting.
ZE
zeebre12
Sky are closing Sky Arts as a linear channel in Germany with it content going on demand. Could Sky Arts be one of the linear channels Sky are talking about closing in the UK?
Flag
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
Sky are closing Sky Arts as a linear channel in Germany with it content going on demand. Could Sky Arts be one of the linear channels Sky are talking about closing in the UK?

Its a unique channel, nothing else in the UK (it says here) comes close to it. I suppose BBC Four on occasion (and possibly BBC Two during Proms and the odd occasion when they air ballet or something) is the next best thing.

Remember of course the only reason the channel is still around is because Sky bought into it (it was on the verge of going out of business) and later bought it outright. That was somewhere like 15 years ago now so I'd have argued if it was going to close it would have done so by now (indeed Sky Arts 2 did close and all its content was moved to the first channel).

Viewing wise, well it attracts a higher percentage share than Sky 2 (and Mix) which I believe are now the two channels with the smallest monthly viewing percentage out of all the Sky owned channels (some of the individual Cinema channels and Sports channels rate less but they're propped up by the extra subscriptions).

In fairness to Mix, it came off worse during the last EPG shuffle, being thrown into Entertainment where it previously lived next to the Sports channels and I dare say a lot of people thought it had closed. Sky 2 just seems to limp on regardless.
NG
noggin Founding member
Sky Arts was, a bit like Sky News, a great Murdoch 'fig leaf' - a channel he could always point to when people accused Sky of being just about movies and sport and adding nothing to the cultural life of the nation (and it has commissioned some pretty good shows)

Comcast may feel that they don't need it in the same way, and I think we are moving to a point where the number of linear channels will reduce. It's a pity - as the only Sky Arts content I watch is stuff I've found whilst surfing through (and then possibly doing a 'watch from the beginning') I don't ever look specifically for its content via an on demand portal.
KE
kernow
Based on viewing figures, as well as EPG positions, I would expect Sky 2 or Real Lives to close rather than Sky Arts.

Sky Arts is at 122 on the Sky EPG, whereas Sky 2 is at 151 and Real Lives is at 170.
BR
Brekkie
I'd have thought the Sky Arts viewer is more likely to consume linear TV too.
:-(
A former member
Based on viewing figures, as well as EPG positions, I would expect Sky 2 or Real Lives to close rather than Sky Arts.

Sky Arts is at 122 on the Sky EPG, whereas Sky 2 is at 151 and Real Lives is at 170.

And how much do you think Sky 2 and Real Lives cost to run in comparison to Sky Arts and its many original commissions?
KE
kernow

And how much do you think Sky 2 and Real Lives cost to run in comparison to Sky Arts and its many original commissions?

If Sky Arts brings in more viewers, and therefore more advertising revenue, they would be crazy to axe Sky Arts instead of Sky 2 or Real Lives, especially as it could result in people cancelling their subscriptions.

I reckon far more people would cancel their subscriptions if Sky Arts closed than if Sky 2 or Real Lives closed.

Sky 2 and Real Lives might be cheaper to run, but that doesn't mean they should be retained over a more successful channel.

If the BBC were looking to close another channel, would you be suggesting that they should close BBC Two instead of BBC Parliament for example, because BBC Two costs more to run?
BR
Brekkie
Imagine Sky Arts ads are worth more per viewer than Sky2 yet - it's a channel that reaches viewers others in their portfolio doesn't.
NG
noggin Founding member
Imagine Sky Arts ads are worth more per viewer than Sky2 yet - it's a channel that reaches viewers others in their portfolio doesn't.

Yes - probably very desirable advertising targets too (though an ageing demographic I suspect)
JF
JetixFann450
I think the "Sky Box Sets" brand has been phased out. I watched a recent Sky ad that said "All episodes available on Sky".
RD
rdd Founding member
It’s still there on my Sky EPG at any rate. However, these days it’s all about promoting the “Ultimate On Demand” package that combines Sky Box Sets and Netflix.

Newer posts