TV Home Forum

Red Nose Day

15th March 2019 (March 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JK
JKDerry
And it is done - off air and over £63 million raised! Fantastic.
JA
james-2001
When can we expect Tumble Tower to appear with his analysis?
CY
cylon6
Sorry?

The other productions housed at Elstree in 1992.

Oh right, sorry. Yes, Elstree was a busy place. It does seem it was used for productions who did not care for Television Centre.

BBC Elstree was like the replacement BBC TV Theatre, where it stepped in for shows not at BBC TV Centre.

Comic Relief looked good tonight, some funny bits but I miss the days of mainly comedians hosting and doing an hour.

I did like those first two Comic Reliefs in 1989 and 1991 hosted by Lenny Henry, Griff Rhys Jones and Jonathan Ross. 1991 was the year of The Stonk, French and Saunders met Birds Of A Feather, there was a horror spoof which I loved and this puppet supergroup singing Everybody Needs A Helping Hand.

JA
james-2001
1989 & 91 are actually the second & third comic reliefs, the first was in 1988.
WH
Whataday Founding member
Alan Partridge's 'OB' used the old Family Affairs/The Bill backlot.
IS
Inspector Sands
The audience seating platform originally installed was never used by the BBC, and they opted to use a portable audience platform instead. I think this is what they were talking about.

Though the mottled pastel coloured design on the front of the seating shown in the photo above is very 80s, I think it's from Bob Says Opportunity Knocks

EDIT: TV Studio History says that The Les Dawson Op Knocks was done there, Bob's at TVC
Last edited by Inspector Sands on 16 March 2019 8:43am - 3 times in total
NG
noggin Founding member
The audience seating platform originally installed was never used by the BBC, and they opted to use a portable audience platform instead. I think this is what they were talking about.

Though the mottled pastel coloured design on the front of the seating shown in the photo above is very 80s, I think it's from Bob Says Opportunity Knocks

EDIT: TV Studio History says that The Les Dawson Op Knocks was done there, Bob's at TVC

I think the seating was covered for Big Break - though I may be wrong.
NG
noggin Founding member
Sorry?

The other productions housed at Elstree in 1992.

Oh right, sorry. Yes, Elstree was a busy place. It does seem it was used for productions who did not care for Television Centre.

I think it was less that they didn't care, more that Elstree offered an option for larger shows to be 'set standing' shows, that simply wasn't an option for TV Centre.

Remember that Elstree had, for a lot of the time in the BBC era, more studio floors than control rooms (before EastEnders needed all the studio floor space other than D) - so you could leave a set standing for a show, without also taking the gallery out of action (as it could work to a second studio floor) (It was also used by BBC Training)

Elstree was (and is) a better fit for shows that shot in blocks, as its studios weren't (and D still isn't) as flexible as the TV Centre studios for fast turnaround shows, so it made sense for game shows and sit coms to be shot at Elstree, whereas it wouldn't make as much sense for occasional one-offs, or weekly shows to be made there (with the exception of TOTP as that could be 'set standing' at Elstree but would have had to have been 'set strike' at TV Centre)
TT
Tumble Tower
Well Red Nose Day is all over and done with for another year. Quite frankly, I did my utmost best to avoid it like as much as possible yesterday. For starters, I didn't wear a red nose, or do anything silly with my hair and/or face yesterday. Although I bought myself two Red Nose Day 2019 T-shirts from TK Maxx (one with Mickey Mouse on and one with Eeyore on), I didn't wear either of those at all yesterday. Still I can wear those ordinarily in the summer. I didn't even one of my older Red Nose Day or Sport Relief T-shirts yesterday either.

Furthermore, just like in 2017, I didn't bother watching ANY part of the Red Nose Day 2019 TV show on BBC One last night (before or after the news). Nor did I watch any part of Comic Relief Does University Challenge from 22:00 to 22:35 on BBC Two. Having slavishly watched the Red Nose Day TV shows every odd-numbered year from 2003 to 2015, and each time, found them predominantly a load of stupidity and tommyrot, with hardly any pop songs, I made the firm decision not to watch it last night. The content of those years, particularly 2013 and 2015, was enough to put me off wanting to watch, in whole or in part, the Red Nose Day TV show in 2017, and again this year (2019). Having not watched this year's show, I can't express an opinion on it. That also explains why I wasn't here expressing my likes and dislikes about the acts / sketches that appeared as the evening progressed, and why I wasn't posting the amounts raised by, for example, TK Maxx (from the sale of RND 2019 T-shirts), Sainsbury's (from the sale of red noses, wristbands, etc) or the national running totals which must have been announced from time to time. Nonetheless, I've since looked through this thread, and noticed Josh posted the amounts raised by British Airways, TK Maxx, Sainsbury's, etc, and national running totals; thank you for doing so.

This morning I found out from the Comic Relief website and BBC Red Nose Day page that the official end-of-night total was £63,548,668. Well done to all those who helped raise that much money.

I wonder what TumbleTower has found to watch instead tonight?

Nothing actually. In fact I didn't power up my TV or video recorder at all yesterday. I'm very selective in my viewing.
Last edited by Tumble Tower on 16 March 2019 10:16am - 2 times in total
JA
james-2001
TT can't understand when posts are insulting or mocking him, can he?
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member

I beg to differ.

*snip something about Comic Relief - a programming event TT wasn't going to watch but wrote about anyway*

I wonder what TumbleTower has found to watch instead tonight?

Nothing actually. In fact I didn't power up my TV or video recorder at all yesterday. I'm very selective in my viewing.

Your electricity bill will thank you I'm sure.
TV
TVEngineer

And maybe there's a reason for that that you, James-2001, haven't understood? Play nicely people. Remember we're all unique in our own little way - the world would be boring if we were all the same! A little respect goes a long way, even if you disagree with someone or consider their approach different.

Newer posts