TV Home Forum

TV Breakdown Appreciation Thread

We'll return as soon as possible. (April 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
TT
ThatTVNerd
This one is not really a breakdown, but it's still an on-air goof. It's from an episode of SM:TV Live from August 2003, which I have on tape.

During the first half of an episode of The Flintstones, the picture suddenly disappears and we see a shot of the 'Garbage Hunt' set in the studio, with an appearance from presenter Des Clarke in character (David Dustbinman) causually walking across camera looking at his script...and then vision from the former returns.

13 days later

IT
its_notjack

Also Talking Telephone Numbers... Smile

(The url for which I can never find. Anyone?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgFyDwz8m_4

You're welcome.

The YouTube link for this clip seems to have gone dead, does anyone have a copy of it still?
IS
Inspector Sands
Doh, I kept meaning to grab a copy as it's just too good, and a likely candidate for just suddenly disappearing
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
fortunately I grabbed it last year, knew it would come in useful Smile

For some reason it's come out small, but IIRC the video was uploaded to YouTube years ago when this was the standard way to do it before the higher quality options came along and YouTube just blows it up to fit the player so this may be how it was originally made. Still its better than nothing.

Enjoy.
https://up.metropol247.co.uk/Neil%20Jones/talkingtelephonenumbers.mp4
Josh, bilky asko and Inspector Sands gave kudos
IT
itvblocks
Pretty interesting find here whilst I was watching an old FA Cup tie on YouTube.

During a match between Manchester City and Liverpool, the picture starts glitching up (particularly here on 1:10:26)

Eventually the picture glitches up and dies, leaving an unearthly amount of black screen before BBC1's breakdown caption is finally thrown up (at 1:13:30)

The announcements are sadly cut, probably because the owner wanted to record the match and not a breakdown caption for about 3-4 minutes!

Just thought this was a pretty good find nonetheless. Smile

BE
Bennyboy1984

If you look at 9:28 the music stops and the ratio changes, then at 9:55 the music carries on and the ratio changes back. Wondering if due to the power cut something didn't reboot properly?
BE
Bennyboy1984

Same again at 2:15 in this clip.
IS
Inspector Sands
SonicBen2706 posted:

If you look at 9:28 the music stops and the ratio changes, then at 9:55 the music carries on and the ratio changes back. Wondering if due to the power cut something didn't reboot properly?

Look carefully and you'll notice that it's not just a change in aspect ratio, the two breakdown slides are different.

I think what you're seeing is them switching between the two playout areas that were operational at the time - the NTA which provided BBC1 and 2 analogue, and the DTA which did the 4 digital channels. The outputs of each were able to supply the other platform in various ways and they did routinely as one was phased in and the other phased out.

Hence you see one breakdown slide in 16:9 coming from the DTA and a 14:9 slide coming from the NTA (it wouldn't have been originally 14:9, that would have been an ARC on one of the circuits between the two areas).

They would have been switching between the two presumably because one had been affected more by the issue, or one was deemed more reliable
Last edited by Inspector Sands on 27 February 2019 11:59am - 3 times in total
AS
Asa Admin
I think you're thinking of the 2000 power cut during the Six? The above clip was from a Saturday night in 2001 which did pull all the channels off air (including UK Gold which I was watching at the time!)
IS
Inspector Sands
Bugger, yes I didn't look at the title, just assumed. One breakdown slide looks the same as another!

My explanation is still valid though, post corrected

17 days later

IT
itvblocks
Speaking of BBC breakdowns, who remembers the time when BBC Breakfast literally refused to go off air?

BE
Bennyboy1984

Here the BBC attempt to show The Good Life... I said attempt Smile

Newer posts