The Newsroom

BBC News Channel Presentation - 21/03/16 onwards

Split from BBC News Channel General Discussion (March 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
GE
thegeek Founding member
Why don't they use the Newsroom Live titles when they're on location? I only ask as Joanna yesterday and Anita today both opened each hour up and introduced it as 'Newsroom Live' with other frequent mentions during the programne. Either drop the name entirely when on location or stick to the branding.

I suspect they don't have a longer version of the titles that can be used without the pan of the Newsroom.

They make do with a recorded helicopter shot of Parliament for Afternoon Live which seems to work well.

I hadn't realised it was recorded when I saw it earlier, and thought the weather had changed considerably since I'd last been outside.
AL
ALV
Why don't they use the Newsroom Live titles when they're on location? I only ask as Joanna yesterday and Anita today both opened each hour up and introduced it as 'Newsroom Live' with other frequent mentions during the programne. Either drop the name entirely when on location or stick to the branding.

Or they can use the Newsroom Live titles and Newsroom shot but cut the opening to the studio presenter first, where the studio presenter will introduce the on location presenter/reporter and then cut to the on location presenter/reporter.
WO
Worzel
I suspect they don't have a longer version of the titles that can be used without the pan of the Newsroom.

They make do with a recorded helicopter shot of Parliament for Afternoon Live which seems to work well.

I hadn't realised it was recorded when I saw it earlier, and thought the weather had changed considerably since I'd last been outside.

Yes, I think it was recorded last July sometime as its a lovely sunny day.
SS
SuperSajuuk
Don’t think it was mentioned, but the Day in Parliament on the news channel, normally simulcast at 2.30am, has been broadcast at 12.30am all this week, due to the political events happening each day. Hopefully they keep that time for the future and move Hardtalk to a daytime broadcasting slot again.
AS
AlexS
Don’t think it was mentioned, but the Day in Parliament on the news channel, normally simulcast at 2.30am, has been broadcast at 12.30am all this week, due to the political events happening each day. Hopefully they keep that time for the future and move Hardtalk to a daytime broadcasting slot again.

If anything Hardtalk should be shoved further into the night or even moved to weekends. There is nowhere suitable for a long-form interview programme aimed mostly at a global audience in the weekday daytime schedule and with 20:00 being the only full hour of UK only news during the evening there is certainly nowhere for it during the evening.
Other than for a short while between the number of evening shifts being reduced when OS began to be shown on the NC and the start of 100 days it has never had a daytime slot.
Last edited by AlexS on 15 March 2019 1:13am - 2 times in total
NE
Newsroom
My goodness. Victoria Derbyshire is coming from Studio E for a News Special. *corrected
Last edited by Newsroom on 15 March 2019 10:24am
GO
gordonthegopher
My goodness. Victoria Derbyshire is coming from Studio A for a News Special.

Studio E
LI
liamfromnz
BBC News Special With Stephen Sackur and Carrie Gracie in Studio C
SS
SuperSajuuk
AlexS posted:
If anything Hardtalk should be shoved further into the night or even moved to weekends. There is nowhere suitable for a long-form interview programme aimed mostly at a global audience in the weekday daytime schedule and with 20:00 being the only full hour of UK only news during the evening there is certainly nowhere for it during the evening.
Other than for a short while between the number of evening shifts being reduced when OS began to be shown on the NC and the start of 100 days it has never had a daytime slot.

If they put it further into the night, they would just say "there is no point in broadcasting it on TV any more" and it would become online only, as the viewership would be extremely low. And with the fact that overnight schedules can change within a moment for any breaking news, it would be unreliable as a way of locally recording the programme on set top boxes. Friday would be a good day to broadcast at least one of it though, because there is no Beyond 100 Days, allowing for an extra hour of news.
Last edited by SuperSajuuk on 15 March 2019 1:16pm
AS
AlexS
AlexS posted:

If they put it further into the night, they would just say "there is no point in broadcasting it on TV any more" and it would become online only. And with the fact that overnight, schedules can change within a moment for any breaking news, it would be unreliable as a way of locally recording the programme on set top boxes. Friday would be a good day to broadcast at least one of it though, because there is no Beyond 100 Days, allowing for an extra hour of news.

I think you are failing to realise that hardtalk is shown as filler not because there is any real demand for it. I doubt that there is more than a handful of people who actively choose to watch hardtalk and I expect that the BBC would receive a single complaint if they stopped showing it in the UK entirely. Hardtalk is a good way of filling time when there is neither the content or budget to broadcast live for the full hour as it is made for world anyway so is presumably available at little cost but many episodes are of limited relevance to a UK audience at best.
Friday evenings would be a terrible time for it as there is already no full hour of news after afternoon live and unless something else is dropped it would lead to an hour with no more than 15 minutes of news.
SS
SuperSajuuk
AlexS posted:
I think you are failing to realise that hardtalk is shown as filler not because there is any real demand for it. I doubt that there is more than a handful of people who actively choose to watch hardtalk and I expect that the BBC would receive a single complaint if they stopped showing it in the UK entirely. Hardtalk is a good way of filling time when there is neither the content or budget to broadcast live for the full hour as it is made for world anyway so is presumably available at little cost but many episodes are of limited relevance to a UK audience at best.

I'm not failing to realise that it's filler, I know what it is. It's just a type of filler that has been one of the longest lasting on the channel and has been a great way of getting to understand global issues of any kind. But neither of us are able to effect much change with what the BBC shows anyway so it's a moot point Razz
JF
JF World News
There has to be a better way to handle the switch from Breakfast just before 8.30 on weekdays, than having two weather forecasts by different presenters less than 10 minutes apart. This morning, we had Matt doing Breakfast weather followed by a chat between Dan & Louise and then another weather forecast. It just looks terrible.

I would take the eight o'clock edition of BBC World News every day

Newer posts