TV Home Forum

The Sport Thread

For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own (July 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NW
nwtv2003
dvboy posted:
The first race of the season is simulcast on Sky One by the way. I wonder how many others will be, I suspect those that aren't in primetime, and the British GP to undermine Channel 4.

To be fair they also did this last year, albeit when some of the big races were shown on Channel 4, notably the British GP. They also do with some Premier League games from time to time. It sort of defeats the object of having Sky Sports Mix as a shop window for Sky Sports as a whole.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
dvboy posted:
The first race of the season is simulcast on Sky One by the way. I wonder how many others will be, I suspect those that aren't in primetime, and the British GP to undermine Channel 4.

To be fair they also did this last year, albeit when some of the big races were shown on Channel 4, notably the British GP. They also do with some Premier League games from time to time. It sort of defeats the object of having Sky Sports Mix as a shop window for Sky Sports as a whole.

I dare say thanks to the EPG shuffle last year I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people thought it had closed.

In fact poking around on Sky Sports website there are no channel numbers for any of the Sports Channels (in fact Mix is presented on the site's TV guide as being after Sky Sports News on the EPG).
BK
bkman1990
F1.com have announced two days ago some new upgrades to the F1 TV online subscription.

New features include:

Pit lane Channel - Includes new special alternative English Commentary; Is that from Ben Edwards & David Coulthard?
Data Channel
Driver Tracker
New for Race Weekend - Tech Talk
Live online access to F2, F3 & Porsche SuperCup Channels
F1 Twitter show
Official F1 Press Conferences
New for Midweek - Weekend Debrief show
Access to races from 1981 to present day.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.f1-tv-features-upgrade-more-angles-more-racing-more-control.7CotTKwOMmsrEdtGFtu1Na.html
Last edited by bkman1990 on 14 March 2019 7:15pm - 3 times in total
HC
Hatton Cross
F1.com have announced two days ago some new upgrades to the F1 TV online subscription.

New features include:

Pit lane Channel - Includes new special alternative English Commentary; Is that from Ben Edwards & David Coulthard?

Most of that is unavailable to UK viewers due to the Sky deal.

Pit lane 'alternative' commentary probably isn't the Edwards/Coulthard, as it reads as its a specific commentary for the pit lane channel exclusively.
MA
Markymark
I saw an ad last night (on C4) for Sky's F1 coverage. They used 'The Chain' as the backing music towards the end of the ad, are they going to use that as the theme music for their coverage ?
DV
dvboy
I saw an ad last night (on C4) for Sky's F1 coverage. They used 'The Chain' as the backing music towards the end of the ad, are they going to use that as the theme music for their coverage ?

No.
NB
nbafan89
dvboy posted:

No.

How do you know that?
HC
Hatton Cross
Because Sky aren't using it. Nowhere to be heard on FP1/2 coverage this morning.

As Sky Sports F1 coverage is seen all over the world by carriage from other F1 rights holders, the cost of licencing The Chain from Universal Music (who look after the rights of the Fleetwood Mac back catalogue) to play in every country who take Sky's coverage would be highly expensive.
MA
Markymark

As Sky Sports F1 coverage is seen all over the world by carriage from other F1 rights holders,

So was the BBC's 'back in the day', but not 'front cap to end board', which presumably Sky's coverage is ?
RD
rdd Founding member
Depends what you mean by “back in the day”? The first period the BBC had the rights, live coverage was usually part of Sunday Grandstand and was more or less lights out to checkered flag (and might be broken into), Substantial pre and post race coverage only came in when ITV took over the rights in 1997. As such “The Chain” was mainly heard for the evening highlights show and races outside of Grandstand’s afternoon slot.
MA
Markymark
rdd posted:
Depends what you mean by “back in the day”? The first period the BBC had the rights, live coverage was usually part of Sunday Grandstand and was more or less lights out to checkered flag (and might be broken into), Substantial pre and post race coverage only came in when ITV took over the rights in 1997. As such “The Chain” was mainly heard for the evening highlights show and races outside of Grandstand’s afternoon slot.

No, not that far back, the last time the BBC held the rights, 8-10 years ago ?

I was in South Africa watching on SuperSport, they carried the BBC's commentary, (and the comment '. ..if you've just switched on for Andrew Marr, he's over on BBC 2. ..', but I don't recall any of their pre and post race punditry ?
DV
dvboy
dvboy posted:

No.

How do you know that?

I refer you back to page 280
C4 will not use The Chain for their F1 highlights this year according to the F1 Broadcasting blog. Sky, who are using it for their promo, wanted to use it for their coverage and forced a bidding war for it which somehow both broadcasters lost.

https://motorsportbroadcasting.com/2019/03/09/a-new-era-and-a-new-f1-theme-as-channel-4-breaks-the-chain/

Newer posts