TV Home Forum

Red Nose Day

15th March 2019 (March 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JA
james-2001
The Muppet Show studio, and the BBC Election studio- which features a lot of muppets.
JK
JKDerry
I do know ATV and ABC used the Elstree studios a lot in the 1950s to 80s. I meant "iconic" would be like the building, BBC Television Centre as a building is iconic, when I say BBC Television Centre, most of us in the UK know what it looks like. When I say Elstree Studios, we have no idea what it looks like, as it is a clutter of buildings spread over two huge sites, one for the BBC and one for the independent Elstree Studios.

I am not saying they didn't make great programmes, they did. Just the building was never iconic in my opinion, compared to BBC Television Centre and the ITV London Studios.
JA
james-2001
I don't think ABC used Elstree, did they? Cerainly not the now BBC studios. Unless you count the fact that ATV was called ABC for its first few weeks on air (but otherwise had no connection to the other ABC).
IS
Inspector Sands
When I say Elstree Studios, we have no idea what it looks like,

Unless you've watched Holby City or Grange Hill in the 1980's Wink
IS
Inspector Sands
I don't think ABC used Elstree, did they? Cerainly not the now BBC studios. Unless you count the fact that ATV was called ABC for its first few weeks on air (but otherwise had no connection to the other ABC).

ABC TV's owners the ABPC built the Elstree Studios now used by Strictly/Pointless etc.

The BBC Elstree Centre was used by various film companies then ATV then the BBC
JA
james-2001
When I say Elstree Studios, we have no idea what it looks like,

Unless you've watched Holby City or Grange Hill in the 1980's Wink

Or UFO in the 70s Razz
JK
JKDerry
For me, Red Nose Day 1993 was one of the best telethons they have ever done. I was 7 years old when it aired on Friday 12th March 1993 and I remember it very well.

Children's BBC had a fantastic afternoon special with Andi Peters and Edd the Duck from 3.45pm and then the big night was from 7.00-9.00pm and 9.30 until 1.00am.

Mr Bean on Blind Date. Smashie and Nicey. Casualty Comic Relief Special. Jonathan Ross's Game for a Game, involving every game show from Family Fortunes to Mastermind. BBC Audition Tapes of some of its big stars. French and Saunders. One Foot in the Grave. Friday Night Live Again! with host Ben Elton and the fantastic 1993 Comic Relief single Bohemian Rhapsody with a huge list of UK television stars taking part in the music video.

Great Red Nose Day it was, because it was really the first one I remembered properly. The 1991 event was good, I have memory of the "Everybody Needs a Helping Hand" video with TV puppets singing.
JK
JKDerry
Red Nose Day 1993 Bohemian Rhapsody

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzLzuB4Wq2M
BM
BM11
https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/louis-tomlinson-sister-dead-singer-14137710
Louis Tomlinson pulls out of performing after his sister dies suddenly aged just 18 Crying or Very sad Horrible shocking news.
BR
Brekkie
That's awful so soon after his mum.

Back to RND and it was brilliant in the 90s,but also benefitted hugely from both the strength of mainstream entertainment and comedy and the emergence and I guess move to the mainstream of alternative comedy too.

Now it is more hit and miss but generally speaking usually the better of the telethons. Must say though nothing in the previews for tomorrow really catches my attention.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Red Nose Day 1993 Bohemian Rhapsody

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzLzuB4Wq2M

That would have been perfect for a remake this year, now that autotune is a thing Smile
TT
Tumble Tower
Today is Friday 15 March 2019 - Red Nose Day 2019. Yes folks, another odd-numbered year means that two-yearly fundraising extravaganza for Comic Relief has come around again. Quite frankly though, as far as I'm concerned, today looks set to be just another plain, ordinary Friday. For starters, I'm not going to do anything silly with my hair or face, which is what people have been encouraged to do on Red Nose Day in past years. I've bought myself two Red Nose Day 2019 T-shirts from TK Maxx (one with Mickey Mouse on and one with Eeyore on), but oddly enough I'm not wearing either of them today!

The Red Nose Day TV Show will be on BBC One this evening; part one from 19:00 to 22:00 and part two from 22:35 to 00:30. During the break for the news and weather from 22:00 to 22:35, Comic Relief Does University Challenge will be on BBC Two. I've no intention of watching any of that lot tonight. Each odd-numbered year from 2003 to 2015 I watched it off-air until late (usually midnight) and the rest on video next day. Looking back, I don't know how I tolerated sitting through them, because each time I thought the shows were predominantly a load of utter stupidity and tommyrot. Many of the sketches over the years have been terrible (e.g. Simon Cowell's wedding in 2013, Mr. Bean at the funeral in 2015). Unlike Children in Need TV shows in November, the Red Nose Day TV shows over the years featured very few pop songs (however in 2009 there was a Top of the Pops Red Nose Day special on BBC Two whilst the 10 o'clock News was on BBC One). In 2017, I assumed the Red Nose Day 2017 TV Show would be just as bad, and therefore didn't watch any part of it. For the same reason, I (almost certainly) won't watch tonight's Red Nose Day TV Show; I've got better things to do than sit through several hours of what I guess will be more utter garbage like 2013 and 2015.

For those of you who are fundraising for Red Nose Day 2019 today, happy fundraising.

Newer posts