« Topics
BM11825 posts since 2 Jun 2017
London London
As good as confirmed that Brexit day wont be the 29th March (the EU very unlikely to block a short technical extension if a deal has passed but a couple of weeks needed for legislation.)
So the news specials planned for that day are going to be have to be scrapped.

God, for all your pessimism elsewhere you seem to be very optimistic to think an extension is just for a deal to get through Parliament at the 4th time of asking.

The only way I can see Europe agreeing to an extension is if it involves throwing the question back to the public as either a referendum or election, or more likely both. I can't see any progress being made under the current government.

Back to TV matters and don't know if it's been reflected in the ratings but now seems a very wise move in hindsight to move Peston midweek considering all the key Tuesday night votes in recent months.

Talking about Preston but its being filmed live at 10.45 tonight.
As good as confirmed that Brexit day wont be the 29th March (the EU very unlikely to block a short technical extension if a deal has passed but a couple of weeks needed for legislation.)

God, for all your pessimism elsewhere you seem to be very optimistic to think an extension is just for a deal to get through Parliament at the 4th time of asking.

The only way I can see Europe agreeing to an extension is if it involves throwing the question back to the public as either a referendum or election, or more likely both. I can't see any progress being made under the current government.

Back to TV matters and don't know if it's been reflected in the ratings but now seems a very wise move in hindsight to move Peston midweek considering all the key Tuesday night votes in recent months.
Last edited by BM11 on 13 March 2019 9:05pm
Brekkie30,997 posts since 4 Jan 2003
HTV Wales Wales Today
Nothing happened this evening, and the BBC know it. Scotland has moved River city to today at 8pm and this moved Comic relief show to 10.45 pushing BBC 3 to 11.45

Bit poor to move the Comic Relief show. It's not like they had an entire channel they could have moved River City to yesterday.
I preferred the internet when it had a sense of humour.
Inspector Sands13,409 posts since 25 Aug 2004

Not necessarily. Any extension request has to be approved by the EU and they've made it clear that the UK needs to provide a good reason why.

So it could be that parliament voted not to leave without a deal and votes for an extension... and none of those two things happen. In that case we'd crash out on 29th March.

The only other option is that the UK withdraws Article 50, which it can do but I suspect might need parliamentary approval and laws to be passed/annulled

I don't think any newsroom will be cancelling any arrangements, it's all still up in the air
thegeek4,772 posts since 1 Jan 2002
London London
Who is Brillo pad?

Affectionate nickname for Andrew Neil, as seen in this randomly chosen photograph:

Random? In commemoration of our Parliament's once close relationship with the EU, it's a picture illustrating a venerable old British institution getting on with a much younger foreign body.
Hatton Cross3,163 posts since 4 Jan 2003
Central (West) Midlands Today
I am Hatton Cross and I approve the last posting..
God bless you, sir.

Dragging this back to tv pres talk. I was watching brillopad last night, and I understand there was a lot going on, but I thought he was struggling last night. Cutting across contributers, wide eyed at the autocue, not relaying what was happening in the HoC. Most unlike him.
My user name might look like Hatton Cross, but it's pronounced Throatwobbler Mangrove.
mdtauk6,208 posts since 4 Jan 2003
London London
Yes but one of the amendments he has selected to be voted on is a second referendum. The amendment was tables by Sarah Wollaston. Interesting to see if Corbyn whips his MPs for this vote

Jeremy Corbyn has put his own amendment, as has Hillary Benn. The second referendum is a last ditch plan should No Deal look likely to happen.