This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DV
DVB Cornwall
Let's get this show on the ground ....

Quatorzine Neko and Sh1ruba gave kudos
SH
Sh1ruba
Let's get this show on the ground ....

I like its inspiration from Japanese manga.

Manga is basically a Japanese comic book, for those who don't know Japanese culture.
Anime is often based off from manga and it's basically Japanese animation. Very popular all over the world.

Speaking of the 2020 Games, Tokyo has revealed the pictograms for the Olympic sports, including the new additions of baseball/softball, karate, surfing, skateboarding and sport climbing.
HC
Hatton Cross
I love multi sport pictograms. There's always some potential paralysation injuries in action, and always a foul action depicted.
Tokyo 2020 doesn't dissapoint in this respect.
I send my thoughts to the BMX freestylist and the judo fighter on the left. I hope they recover soon.
To the weightlifter - bent legs with arms raised, is an illegal lift. Give up and find another sport.. Very Happy
SH
Sh1ruba
I love multi sport pictograms. There's always some potential paralysation injuries in action, and always a foul action depicted.
Tokyo 2020 doesn't dissapoint in this respect.
I send my thoughts to the BMX freestylist and the judo fighter on the left. I hope they recover soon.
To the weightlifter - bent legs with arms raised, is an illegal lift. Give up and find another sport.. Very Happy

Apparently these pictograms for 2020 pay respect to the original pictograms introduced in the 1964 Tokyo Olympics.
So these may be the first pictograms in a while that don't follow the Look of the Games (the branding of the Games)
LI
Lieuwe
I am curious about the on-screen graphics of the OBS. They are usually updated every edition of the summer games, except in 2004.
AG
AxG
I am curious about the on-screen graphics of the OBS. They are usually updated every edition of the summer games, except in 2004.

The graphics in Beijing and London where fine, but the tweaks they added in Rio and PyeongChang really ruined them. Hope they ditch them for someone new.
SH
Sh1ruba
AxG posted:

The graphics in Beijing and London where fine, but the tweaks they added in Rio and PyeongChang really ruined them. Hope they ditch them for someone new.

Good thing is that Tokyo will only use 5 main colours as well as the indigo blue from the logo for their "Look of the Games"
HC
Hatton Cross
One suspects Ai may end up as the background colour to the timing and naming captions from OBS. It's the eaiser to look at - and white text fits better with that as the background.

Be interesting if we have a revolution with the graphics this time around. The deep edged beveled and slightly reflective backing design (which has evolved slightly with each summer games) is now out of fashion in sports broadcasting, so wonder if we will see a flatter, but more animated design in 499 days time.
BR
Brekkie
Sure we were saying that pre-2012 too when we saw the graphics used on the video game and got a bit over excited about a long overdue overhaul.
QN
Quatorzine Neko
I hope they will take some inspiration from the visual elements used for the European Games that took place in Berlin and Glasgow last year. The design of those pleased me a lot (can't find pictures of it for now).
SH
Sh1ruba
I hope they will take some inspiration from the visual elements used for the European Games that took place in Berlin and Glasgow last year. The design of those pleased me a lot (can't find pictures of it for now).

Um, actually it was the European Championships.

The European Games are a completely different and non-related event.
It takes place on odd-numbered years and this year, the Belarusian capital Minsk plays host to the second edition of the European Olympic-style event after Baku, Azerbaijan hosted the inaugural event in 2015
Quatorzine Neko and thegeek gave kudos
HC
Hatton Cross
And presumably BT Sport can't wait for this summer schedule filler..

Newer posts