« Topics
Inspector Sands13,491 posts since 25 Aug 2004

Well, if there's a hard Brexit, I imagine we'll immediately see disruptions and other changes at airports, ferry terminals, and other points of entry to the UK.

Yep, although a 'hard Brexit' as such is off the cards (in fact it's a term I've not heard for a while) , it's currently either going to be crash out or delay/stay in.

If we crash out then problems at the ports will be immediate, airports less so as flights stop at night, but there might have been cancellations earlier in the evening. The UK border too will have something happening straight away

Next day there will potentially be plenty of news angles - car plants and other industry grinding to a halt as their Just in Time supplies dry up, how the financial centres are affected, traffic congestion in Kent, panic buying in supermarkets etc
WW Update4,624 posts since 6 Feb 2007

Well, if there's a hard Brexit, I imagine we'll immediately see disruptions and other changes at airports, ferry terminals, and other points of entry to the UK.

Yep, although a 'hard Brexit' as such is off the cards (in fact it's a term I've not heard for a while) , it's currently either going to be crash out or delay/stay in.

Sorry, I meant a No Deal Brexit. Seems my Brexit terminology is a bit out of date. Wink

By the way, this is how ORF in Austria reported on yesterday's Brexit vote during its primetime programming:

Last edited by WW Update on 13 March 2019 6:55am
Markymark6,609 posts since 13 Dec 2004
Meridian (North) South Today

If we crash out then problems at the ports will be immediate, airports less so as flights stop at night, but there might have been cancellations earlier in the evening. The UK border too will have something happening straight away

I booked a holiday in the EU for the last week of March. We simply didn't have the guts to fly home on the 29th, so I moved it forward a day to fly home on the 28th !
Inspector Sands and Brekkie gave kudos
Inspector Sands13,491 posts since 25 Aug 2004

I booked a holiday in the EU for the last week of March. We simply didn't have the guts to fly home on the 29th, so I moved it forward a day to fly home on the 28th !

Very wise. Some travel companies put clauses in their contracts that they wouldn't give refunds for cancelled flights caused by the UK leaving the EU.

We were thinking of going away self catering in the UK the first week of April and then we decided best not. It's one thing struggling to find groceries in our local shops, another in the middle of the Lake District or similar
derek500686 posts since 10 Dec 2003
Westcountry Points West
A couple of ferry companies are offering free refunds. They're confident a hard Brexit is not a problem. Here's DFDS's.

At DFDS it is business as usual, whatever the outcome of Brexit. We have created the Brexit Guarantee so our customers can rest assured your trip is safe with us.

Not sure whether you want to book that 2019 holiday to Europe? Well, book direct with DFDS and enjoy free cancellations on any booking made between 20 February 2019 and 29 March 2019 for travel between 1 March and 30 September.

DFDS Brexit Guarantee - simply call us at least 14 days before your trip to cancel.

Brittany have a similar policy.
Worzel4,594 posts since 8 Jan 2008
Anglia (West) Look East (West sub-opt)
I was in London today so thought I'd swing round to College Green (Westminster) to see the media melee. Really impressive setups I have to say from both radio and TV sides. I noticed a lot of international broadcasters making good use of ULive kit.

My highlight was Simon McCoy seemingly being kept warm by a heater in one gazebo, but Philippa Thomas managing OK without one on the plaform next to him!

The grass on the green (by the scaffolding) is wrecked as you can imagine.