TV Home Forum

The Sport Thread

For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own (July 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BR
Brekkie
C4 will not use The Chain for their F1 highlights this year according to the F1 Broadcasting blog. Sky, who are using it for their promo, wanted to use it for their coverage and forced a bidding war for it which somehow both broadcasters lost.

https://motorsportbroadcasting.com/2019/03/09/a-new-era-and-a-new-f1-theme-as-channel-4-breaks-the-chain/
BR
Brekkie
Is this "true view" thing on Sky Sports, supposedly giving the view of the player or ref for key incidents, new? It's a little bit crap.
MR
mromega
Is this "true view" thing on Sky Sports, supposedly giving the view of the player or ref for key incidents, new? It's a little bit crap.

It’s Intel True View technology and has been installed at the Emirates, the Etihad and Anfield. Today is the first day it has been in use.

It uses 38 5K cameras and stitches together a 360 image, including the ability to simulate a players eye view.

The replays are made available to any rights holder broadcasting from the stadium, as well as the host teams. La Liga use the same technology, albeit theirs is branded onscreen as coming from Intel.
HA
harshy Founding member

It’s Intel True View technology and has been installed at the Emirates, the Etihad and Anfield. Today is the first day it has been in use.

It uses 38 5K cameras and stitches together a 360 image, including the ability to simulate a players eye view.

The replays are made available to any rights holder broadcasting from the stadium, as well as the host teams. La Liga use the same technology, albeit theirs is branded onscreen as coming from Intel.

Surely Sky should be spending the money delivering 4k HLG UHD to its paying customers.
MA
Markymark
That ITV Sport legend Jim Rosenthal (along with Peter Purves !) was commentating on Crufts last night on C4

I thought I recognised his voice, confirmed at the end of the show by Claire Balding.
HA
harshy Founding member
That ITV Sport legend Jim Rosenthal (along with Peter Purves !) was commentating on Crufts last night on C4

I thought I recognised his voice, confirmed at the end of the show by Claire Balding.

Jim Rosenthal I think he presents the boxing on Boxnation and presents Match day live on MUTV, he gets around Smile
SW
Steve Williams
Asa posted:
On Football Focus? They definitely showed video of the incident, the VAR and Rashford’s penalty.

Aha! Further study reveals that this was replaced for the version available on iPlayer - and I watched it on there this week. So presumably they don't make this a regular thing because they're not allowed to put it on iPlayer. Was very slickly removed, anyway.

NYTV posted:
Apologies if this is not the thread for it, but Sky Sports did make a guest appearance of sorts on their sister NBC's Saturday Night Live guest starring Idris Elba.

As someone on Twitter pointed out, a sketch about football there written by people who have clearly never seen a football match in their lives. Some very strange references there, mind.

Actually the only thing I've laughed at so far in this series of The Simpsons was Groundskeeper Willie's reference to "the roster of the Glasgow soccer team".
SW
Steve Williams
That was in the other Football League match this weekend, the Sheffield derby. As mentioned, when they were doing the Last Post and the minutes' silence, they appeared to fade up crowd noise. I wonder if this was because they needed some ambient noise because total silence causes issues (like on radio how if they're silent for too long the emergency tape kicks in) and they were only supposed to have it incredibly faintly in one audio channel, virtually inaudible to the viewer - but they messed it up and turned it up too loud.

This issue from November has turned up in the lastest Ofcom bulletin - Sky said it was a malfunctioning mixing desk that was playing out the standby generic crowd noise they have to smother swearing and the like, and nobody on the production knew it was going out on air. Ofcom say the case is resolved, but they were "concerned" there wasn't an apology on air (and presumably that nobody knew anything about it).
UKnews and bilky asko gave kudos
HC
Hatton Cross
That is a very curious response from Sky.

I've produced football commentaries for radio with silences before the games and even in a minutes silence situation, there is still enough ambient noise (sadly, usually from a moron chanting something unintelligable from the back of the away end) from the atmos mics to provide a comforting 'flick' of the sound level needles on your level monitors every now and then

Even if you feel it's too quiet, whack the gain up for a few seconds (before knocking it back down again just before the refs blast on the whistle) and you are no longer playing 'crash tape kick in' roulette - although most emergency tapes were set to go off after complete silence of between 90sec to 2mins where I've worked.

So, there was no need for a generic sound mix to even be on stand-by for this (which seems like it was being accidentally sent to air), as there was no danger of loud swearing or falling off air. If anything, there needed to be a track of complete silence on stand-by, incase of an outbreak of idiotic shouting/singing/chanting.
MR
mromega

Surely Sky should be spending the money delivering 4k HLG UHD to its paying customers.

Sky haven’t spent any money on it. It is being supplied by Intel directly to the teams involved. Rights holders get the replays so long as they name Intel.
GE
thegeek Founding member

So, there was no need for a generic sound mix to even be on stand-by for this (which seems like it was being accidentally sent to air), as there was no danger of loud swearing or falling off air. If anything, there needed to be a track of complete silence on stand-by, incase of an outbreak of idiotic shouting/singing/chanting.

The generic crowd noise (aka cart effects) were on standby for during the match, not during the silence. It's pretty standard practice. I assume they're running from before kick-off so they can be faded up as required without having to worry about cueing them too.
bilky asko and UKnews gave kudos
RK
Rkolsen
Watching SSN on NBCSN and it appears they are taking a complete straight simulcast without any graphical changes. During the transfer deadline simulcast they covered up the L bar where the SSN logo and date/time appeared with the NBC Sports logo. This time it shows UK time and I’m surprised that the date was listed as “Monday March 11” compared to “Monday 11 March” which is the format I’ve seen everywhere in international broadcasts.

Newer posts