The Newsroom

Victoria Derbyshire (the programme) - now with added Reith

Split from BBC News Channel Presentation - 21/03/16 onwards (March 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
AL
ALV
Moz posted:
The new look may not use a boxed logo, so they are prepared

Looks awful seems a backward step.

Really? I think it’s much better unboxed.

It looks inconsistent imo, just like for Breakfast where the BBC News DOG is centred while all the other DOGs are in the lower left corner...
HA
harshy Founding member
I prefer it in the standard red box bottom left, that’s what they done with new look Impact.
IR
irisscanner
I think the logo looks like a keyboard warriors laptop.
RK
Rkolsen
ALV posted:
Moz posted:
Looks awful seems a backward step.

It looks inconsistent imo, just like for Breakfast where the BBC News DOG is centred while all the other DOGs are in the lower left corner...

What do you mean? Looking through DigitalBitRate it appears the only DOG on BBC One HD is the time in the right while BBC News HD looks like it’s DOG and ticker are appropriately placed like they are on BBC World.
HA
harshy Founding member
ALV posted:
Moz posted:

What do you mean? Looking through DigitalBitRate it appears the only DOG on BBC One HD is the time in the right while BBC News HD looks like it’s DOG and ticker are appropriately placed like they are on BBC World.

He means the breakfast titles where the bbc news squared logo appears in the centre.
RK
Rkolsen
ALV posted:

He means the breakfast titles where the bbc news squared logo appears in the centre.

Oh, thanks.
RD
RDJ
Some of the graphics in the News Summary today are disappearing straight after they are appearing. Guess they have more to tame than just the wild DOG.
MO
Moz
It seems the DOG is more or less behaving now from what I saw this morning. It took a while to come back on after the news summary but after that was working.

One thing I did notice though is that during the news summary the white box resizes to fit the text, and does it very well and neatly. For the rest of the programme, for the subject, the white box stays the same size with the text squeezed to fit. Is this supposed to be like this or is the resizing not working and they're using this as a fix?

Perhaps the news summary graphics are controlled by Studio E's gallery, which is working, and the rest of the programme from Studio B's which isn't?

EDIT: Ah, sorry, ignore me! It seems like - looking at a subject caption from the first programme - it does resize, but they must just have hit the maximum box size today and then the text squeezes. Not ideal - perhaps they need to use a smaller default font size.

Last edited by Moz on 11 March 2019 11:40am - 2 times in total
HA
harshy Founding member
They should use the other Reith font it just dosent look right as a single line strap.

31 days later

MO
Moz
Not noticed this before (usually in work!) a centre-aligned Breaking News strap, wipes up from the bottom like the other graphics...

JR
JRY
Moz posted:
Not noticed this before (usually in work!) a centre-aligned Breaking News strap, wipes up from the bottom like the other graphics...

Just with this in mind, and Victoria Derbyshire's graphics as a whole - do we think they've been designed with a 'new' BBC News graphics template? The mammoth gap between the current ticker and the new VD straps has always bugged me - but if you think that it's there because the new graphics will fill the space, it kind of makes sense... little mock up of what I mean below.

2 minute job there, so excuse that, but I think that might make some sense? Plus I remember seeing somewhere that a flipper was being discussed instead of a ticker.
VM
VMPhil
It seems quite likely given the hints we've gotten. But I don't think it'll look like your mock-up unless they're getting rid of the ticker. It seems the new permanent ticker (or flipper?) will be double the height of the current one, if it will still exist.

Newer posts