« Topics
Spencer For Hire5,866 posts since 13 Jan 2003
Yorkshire Look North (Yorkshire)
If the Wireless Group can afford to poach Chris Evans from Radio 2 for Virgin, it’s not out of the question that they could try to do the same with Piers Morgan to give TalkRadio a shot in the arm, especially as they’ve just sold their local stations. Although it depends on whether his ego would cope with the move to a potentially lower profile job.

I ruled this out as an option given Rupert Murdoch isn't exactly Piers' biggest fan.

Ha - I’d not really thought of that. Fair point. Laughing
Robust amateurism
Whataday gave kudos
all new Phil3,218 posts since 12 Feb 2005
Granada North West Today
The show lacks edge when he’s not on. There aren’t many presenters I can think of who will aggressively go after interviewees to get an answer out of them like Piers does. James O’Brien maybe?

I half joked in the end of year awards and predictions thread that Kay Burley would jump ship to GMB. It’s not going to happen in a million years, but she divides viewers in a similar way to Piers. She could be the Piers to Ben Shepherd’s Susanna.
I love lamp
Gary McEwan3,409 posts since 23 May 2011
STV Central Reporting Scotland
The show lacks edge when he’s not on. There aren’t many presenters I can think of who will aggressively go after interviewees to get an answer out of them like Piers does. James O’Brien maybe?

I half joked in the end of year awards and predictions thread that Kay Burley would jump ship to GMB. It’s not going to happen in a million years, but she divides viewers in a similar way to Piers. She could be the Piers to Ben Shepherd’s Susanna.

I'm pushing the envelope massively here, but Andrew Neil can certainly go after the interviewees. I know it was only one interview, but when Richard Madeley went for Gavin Williamson, it showed that he can go after people as well if they are obfuscating from an answer.
michaelb75 posts since 10 Mar 2019
Tyne Tees Look North (North East)

I'm pushing the envelope massively here, but Andrew Neil can certainly go after the interviewees. I know it was only one interview, but when Richard Madeley went for Gavin Williamson, it showed that he can go after people as well if they are obfuscating from an answer.
Andrew Neil would be better for Political Editor and main stand-in with Ranvir doing Kate's Thursday newsreader slot
Aaron_20151,099 posts since 11 Mar 2015
Westcountry Spotlight
Ben Shephard is still very popular though and is probably the only GMB host that doesn’t divide opinion.

Yes, everyone agrees he's bland.

I think the ‘cheeky chappy’ persona saves him from being bland, but he is clearly doing something right to be busy with GMB, Tipping Point, Ninja Warrior and Goals on Sunday.

Somebody can be popular with the majority of viewers without being bland.

Shephard might not be popular here, but is perfect for ITV Daytime’s target audience.
Sh1ruba, Jonwo and 4 others
  • BBI45
  • ittrgrey
  • Rogo23
  • Colorman
gave kudos
BM11976 posts since 2 Jun 2017
London London
I can't imagine Andrew Neil who was fed up of the late night Fliming of This Week wanting to do breakfast show several times a week. He has said that once he leaves the BBC he might write a book and will talk about his private political views.
VMPhil9,777 posts since 31 Mar 2005
Granada North West Today
The one thing that I think Piers Morgan has changed for the better is that he’s hopefully killed the desire to quickly revert things back to early-00s GMTV nostalgia whenever they try to relaunch ITV breakfast. I doubt that when he leaves we’ll see that happen again; it’ll have to be a continuation of how the show is since he became one of the main presenters.
Brekkie gave kudos
Whataday10,039 posts since 13 Sep 2001
HTV Wales Wales Today
I can't imagine Andrew Neil who was fed up of the late night Fliming of This Week wanting to do breakfast show several times a week.

I believe it was more a case that he felt This Week deserved an earlier place in the schedule, rather than because he doesn't like the late nights. I think Andrew Neil would be great on a breakfast show. I think Andrew Neil would be disastrous on GMB.
all new Phil3,218 posts since 12 Feb 2005
Granada North West Today
The one thing that I think Piers Morgan has changed for the better is that he’s hopefully killed the desire to quickly revert things back to early-00s GMTV nostalgia whenever they try to relaunch ITV breakfast. I doubt that when he leaves we’ll see that happen again; it’ll have to be a continuation of how the show is since he became one of the main presenters.

Yes - I’m glad they’ve stopped chasing after “hassled mums”.
I love lamp
fanoftv gave kudos