TV Home Forum

Eurovision 2019

Israel - KAN - Tel Aviv - SFs 14, 16 May - Final 18 May - UK - Michael Rice. (May 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
TI
tightrope78
So a quick Twitter search and he wrote the UK song as well, though we're perfectly capable of failing by ourselves without rival acts sabotaging things by infiltrating the selection process with weak songs.

In fairness he is British. He moved to Sweden when he was 6. He is primarily a songwriter, having only emerged as a performer in Melfest last year. The UK Song is clearly inferior to his Melfest winner but I think it’s still a mighty good song.
DV
DVB Cornwall
The results which show the landslide ....

BH
BillyH Founding member
The odds right now are rather fascinating. Normally there's one clear winner that gets seen as the favourite that towers over the rest of the list by miles, sometimes going on to win (Loreen, Mans, Netta etc) other times losing momentum nearer the contest and allowing an underdog to succeed (Sergey/Jamala, Francesco/Salvador). Then you have the occasional year like 2011/2014 where no one has any idea and the final results are completely different to what anyone thought even days before the contest.

This time, there's three entries - Netherlands, Russia and Sweden - that are almost neck and neck at the top. Netherlands just about the current leader for now. Russia and Sweden have been up there before the songs were even announced - Russia because Sergey's having another go after coming so close in 2016, and Sweden because Sweden, both songs now out and matching the high expectations.

Amsterdam/Rotterdam (or anywhere)/Stockholm/Gothenburg/Moscow/St Petersburg 2020?
GM
Gary McEwan
The odds right now are rather fascinating. Normally there's one clear winner that gets seen as the favourite that towers over the rest of the list by miles, sometimes going on to win (Loreen, Mans, Netta etc) other times losing momentum nearer the contest and allowing an underdog to succeed (Sergey/Jamala, Francesco/Salvador). Then you have the occasional year like 2011/2014 where no one has any idea and the final results are completely different to what anyone thought even days before the contest.

This time, there's three entries - Netherlands, Russia and Sweden - that are almost neck and neck at the top. Netherlands just about the current leader for now. Russia and Sweden have been up there before the songs were even announced - Russia because Sergey's having another go after coming so close in 2016, and Sweden because Sweden, both songs now out and matching the high expectations.

Amsterdam/Rotterdam (or anywhere)/Stockholm/Gothenburg/Moscow/St Petersburg 2020?

The Netherlands and Sweden are easy enough to get too, Russia not so much. Russia must think they stand a good chance of winning if they're sending Sergey again.
DV
DVB Cornwall
I was disappointed with the Russian entry when I first heard it. Not sure it has the necessary impact on first viewing. Presentation will be key. Using a real orchestra too seems extravagant to say the least.
BR
Brekkie
Must be even longer since the Netherlands won than us.
TI
tightrope78
Must be even longer since the Netherlands won than us.

JM
JamesM0984
I believe this is a first where somebody is competing as an artist for one country and a songwriter for another.

Bjorkman wanted another win before he retired - presumably a) to match Ireland's record and b) to have one last hurrah producing the following year's show. I believe that he may get his last hurrah.

On that note: if it comes to pass, should Petra be given a third go or should SDF (as herself) be given a shot?
OR
orange
I really don’t see anything special in Sweden’s entry. I’d like to, but nothing sparks for me. Personally I think it’s very overhyped right now and I think there’ll be a shock in the actual show where it doesn’t do as well as everyone seems to be saying.
Brekkie and alexhb01 gave kudos
JM
JamesM0984
I think a lot of the entries are overrated.

Russia for example.
BM
BM11
It only be Amsterdam if the Netherlands win.
I really don't want Russia to win because then the UK will quite possibly withdraw and once we withdraw once will the BBC be as interested in returning.
GM
Gary McEwan
BM11 posted:
It only be Amsterdam if the Netherlands win.
I really don't want Russia to win because then the UK will quite possibly withdraw and once we withdraw once will the BBC be as interested in returning.

Did ask Mystic Meg on this one did you? How do you know the BBC will withdraw?

Newer posts