The Newsroom

ITV News

Split from ITV News 2013 Rebrand (January 2015)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
SW
Steve Williams
I'd prefer them to stick with 22:30 permanently. I just think it works better.

But while 10.30 seemed the most logical slot of all the ones they've chosen, in practice it was probably the worst in terms of the schedule because they had nothing to go at ten. It meant they had to commission a load of ninety minute dramas whereas previously they'd worked almost exclusively in durations of one and two hours, and they had to do a load of half hour shows at ten. That would have been OK if they had a load of sitcoms and panel shows that could go there, but they didn't. So they really struggled to fill the slot. They tried again with The Nightly Show and that didn't work either.

I've said this before, I think the audience can accept the news being on late if it's after the NTAs or the Brits or something big like that, even the first episode of a new drama. But I don't think they can accept it being late for a Vera repeat or something like we had last night.

10 days later

KE
kernow
It was another case of the ITV "Afternoon" News today, being shown at 3:30pm (although it was still listed at "ITV Evening News" in the listings), less than 3 hours after the lunchtime news.

Personally, I think it would have been better to have shown it at 7pm, after the rugby.

It's at 3:50pm next Saturday.
Last edited by kernow on 9 March 2019 6:23pm
BR
Brekkie
Airing it post-rugby tended to see the local news dropped. Would like to see them revert to showing the local news before the national news, especially now it's generally shown before 5pm at the weekends.
CH
chevron
I wonder why it's no longer branded as "ITV Weekend News" (or simply "ITV News") in the listings?
BR
Brekkie
It hasn't been branded the ITV Weekend News for 15 years.
KE
kernow

It would make sense to either bring back the "ITV Weekend News", or just call it "ITV News" in the listings at weekends, as calling it the "ITV Evening News" when it's on 3:30pm in the afternoon is stupid!

Next weekend, the "ITV Evening News" is on at 3:50pm on Saturday, and 4:35pm on Sunday, neither of which are in the evening.
AN
Andrew Founding member

It would make sense to either bring back the "ITV Weekend News", or just call it "ITV News" in the listings at weekends, as calling it the "ITV Evening News" when it's on 3:30pm in the afternoon is stupid!

Next weekend, the "ITV Evening News" is on at 3:50pm on Saturday, and 4:35pm on Sunday, neither of which are in the evening.

It isn’t referred to like that on air though, it’s just what they put in the listings.

In the same way a 10pm edition on Bank Holiday Monday would be in the listing as ‘ITV News at Ten’
KE
kernow

It isn’t referred to like that on air though, it’s just what they put in the listings.

In the same way a 10pm edition on Bank Holiday Monday would be in the listing as ‘ITV News at Ten’

I'm aware of that. I just think it looks a bit silly when the listings say "ITV Evening News" when it's on in the middle of the afternoon.
CH
chevron

Was referring to the listings if you'll read my original post. It continued to be listed as the Weekend News up until around 2009.
AA
Aaron_2015
News at Ten has ended at the usual time, despite May being expected shortly. A little surprising given the importance of any announcement, but I suppose the argument for going off air is that May could be half an hour or even an hour later than expected.

Given how media conscious May’s team is, I suspect there is some annoyance from No. 10 that both main news bulletins have been missed.
JK
JKDerry
News at Ten has ended at the usual time, despite May being expected shortly. A little surprising given the importance of any announcement, but I suppose the argument for going off air is that May could be half an hour or even an hour later than expected.

Given how media conscious May’s team is, I suspect there is some annoyance from No. 10 that both main news bulletins have been missed.

Everyone now has access to BBC News Channel, as well as Sky News, the era of breaking news on the national networks are really diminished. The press conference is on now.
BR
Brekkie

May's announcements are generally empty and she's a PM who has repeatedly avoided the media, so no coincidence the announcement falls after the bulletin. The speech itself isn't the news anyway, it's the analysis and fall out which they're doing this morning anyway.

Ultimately though nothing has changed due to last nights announcement. Indeed nothing has changed since this deal was first due to be voted on three months ago.

Newer posts