TV Home Forum

This Time with Alan Partridge

Monday at 9:30pm on BBC One (February 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
AN
Andrew Founding member
I’m finding it funny, I just find the initial 5 out of 5 reviews a bit over the top, a very rare situation where the media had decided to be overly positive whereas normally they’d be overly negative. As I’ve said before if this is 5 out of 5 how would they score I’m Alan Partridge.

I can see where people are coming from though and I would have liked a mix of on air and off air material rather than the whole thing being the live show.
JO
Jon
I’m finding it funny, I just find the initial 5 out of 5 reviews a bit over the top, a very rare situation where the media had decided to be overly positive whereas normally they’d be overly negative. As I’ve said before if this is 5 out of 5 how would they score I’m Alan Partridge.

Considering the print media's relationship with Coogan it's surprising.
MA
Markymark

I can see where people are coming from though and I would have liked a mix of on air and off air material rather than the whole thing being the live show.

Yes, I'm of the same mind. However I'm enjoying it, it makes me laugh, end of story.
AA
Aaron_2015
I think The Guardian has summed up Partridge’s return rather well:

Quote:
Piers Morgan! It’s his fault. By embodying the monster, he’s effectively killed it.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/shortcuts/2019/mar/06/has-piers-morgan-killed-alan-partridge?CMP=fb_gu
SP
Spencer
I really don’t think Piers Morgan is like Alan Partridge though. I think Piers Morgan is what Partridge would aspire to be, very like when Richard Madeley tries to be controversial on Good Morning Britain.
AN
Andrew Founding member
He's nothing like Piers Morgan
LL
Larry the Loafer
I don't understand the comparison between Alan and Piers. The latter's schtick is being bullish and trying to create controversy at any given moment, whereas Alan is so self-obsessed on the inside that he ends up creating so many social faux-pas'.
AN
Andrew Founding member
Probably just that he’s the only unconventional host certain journalists have heard of.

Journalists won’t watch the shows these hosts present but they’ll know Morgan and the fuss he generates on Twitter so that’s who they go with.
Last edited by Andrew on 9 March 2019 8:44am
JC
JCB
If Richard Madley couldn't kill off Alan Partridge then Piers Morgan, who isn't remotely like him, won't.
IS
Inspector Sands
The presenter who I've always thought sounded most similar to Partridge was Richard Bacon. When he was in 5 Live he often sounded like he was channeling Alan during some of his asides and questioning.
WH
Whataday Founding member
I think that's more deliberate on Richard's part though. He honed that style on The Big Breakfast.
WH
Whataday Founding member
On tonight's show:

Quote:
Corporal punishment, of course different from capital punishment. I've been asked to point that out as some BBC One viewers find added clarity useful.

Very Happy

Newer posts