The Newsroom

Changes to BBC Parliament & Political Programming

(July 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NE
News96
So 1 program got a rebrand today then! (just not the one we thought!)

10 days later

RD
RDJ
This Week opening with a montage of BBC Breakfast Time titles. Even started with a rogue VT Clock!
NI
nigel
New backdrop to Monday in Parliament using Reith.

Personally, I don’t like Reith... to me it looks old fashioned and quite ugly.
ST
Stuart
nigel posted:
Personally, I don’t like Reith... to me it looks old fashioned and quite ugly.

That's because you're not used to seeing Serif fonts on TV. However, Reith Sans quite modern and refreshing, it's certainly not 'old fashioned'.
MO
Moz
I think Serif fonts look quite the opposite of old-fashioned. They’re modern, fresh and classy.
IT
itsrobert Founding member
Moz posted:
I think Serif fonts look quite the opposite of old-fashioned. They’re modern, fresh and classy.

Although they're not recommended for accessibility. People with visual impairments are better served by sans serif fonts.
DA
davidhorman
Sorry if this is a bit off-topic, but I didn't see the point in dedicating a whole thread to it, and it is politics-broadcasting related...

I was under the impression that footage from Parliament wasn't allowed to be used on comedy/satirical programmes - for example last year, John Oliver's Last Week Tonight had to cut to black on its UK broadcast because it used Parliamentary footage. Charlie Brooker had previously complained that he couldn't use footage on his shoes, yet This Week could, complete with comedy sound effects, on account of being a supposedly serious politics programme.

On tonight's The Last Leg , though, Parliamentary footage was shown. Have the rules been relaxed in the last few months?
AN
Andrew Founding member
I was thinking that myself, they never use footage on HIGNFY for example. I wondered if it was because it was footage only featuring the speaker, rather than anyone else.
IS
Inspector Sands
I don't think so, a few episodes ago The Last Leg had the same problem.

Could be just a context thing, I haven't seen this weeks to see how they used it
AN
Andrew Founding member
I don't think so, a few episodes ago The Last Leg had the same problem.

Could be just a context thing, I haven't seen this weeks to see how they used it

It was a clip of the speaker, in his usual style, telling a right honourable member off for shouting ‘Ahoy there’ at the transport secretary Chris Grayling, which involved the speaker repeating the gag to much hilarity.
DA
davidhorman
Adam subsequently said they couldn't re-use the sound clip of the speaker saying "Or-daah!" because they can't use footage for "the wrong reasons." But it's not like they used the original clip for insightful analysis, it was really just for a laugh (quite rightly) at Chris Grayling's expense. So it seems odd that HIGNFY can't/won't do the same.
WH
Whataday Founding member
I think I've said this before, but I really feel one of these shows should just break the rules and open the floodgates for the others. It's a ridiculous rule.

Newer posts