The Newsroom

BBC World News | 30th October 2017 Onwards

(October 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
AL
ALV
Tonight’s overnight simulcast is in Studio A... Perhaps there’s something going on with C?
bkman1990, News96 and JamesWorldNews gave kudos
BB
BBC WORLD 24
The Briefing with Sally is also in A this morning as well.
bkman1990, News96 and JamesWorldNews gave kudos
RK
Rkolsen
I’m guessing they’re installing the same servers that put E out of order for the weekend.
HA
harshy Founding member
Seems too random in mid week though.
DF
DrewF
They're still in there now, it'll be interesting to see how Business Live looks.

It doesn't look overly prepared, Business Briefing only used two fixed shots and had none of the usual graphics in the VR studio - I suspect it is unplanned.
NE
News96
I’m guessing they’re installing the same servers that put E out of order for the weekend.

But they would used an entire weekend rather than midweek to do it (as last weekend showed)-Techncal problems in C perhaps?
SS
SuperSajuuk
I noticed last night that the Newsday intro at 12am wasn’t the same: usually if the two presenters are in the normal studios (London and Singapore), there’s a few shots of them in their studios, but instead the sequence skipped as if one of the presenters was in a different studio or on location. I didn’t see the programme though, just heard, so not sure if that was an indication of an issue or if Newsday came from A as well.
LI
liamfromnz
No GMT, Just a normal BBC World News bulletin with Lucy Hockings in A
HU
hugoalabaster

Technical issues in C according to Twitter!

10 days later

IR
irisscanner
So I was watching Jurassic World 2 (it was rubbish) but I was just wondering how Studio C would have been set up to be used in a brief clip for the movie. Would the cameras be the usual or would the film company use their own? And if they are the usual cameras, how do they change the aspect ratio? And whatever happened to making the ticker and astons different enough that you can spot it's not a real broadcast. (think Doctor Who back in the 9th 10th Doctor eras) This looks like the real thing here.
(6:20 into this clip)
NG
noggin Founding member
So I was watching Jurassic World 2 (it was rubbish) but I was just wondering how Studio C would have been set up to be used in a brief clip for the movie. Would the cameras be the usual or would the film company use their own? And if they are the usual cameras, how do they change the aspect ratio? And whatever happened to making the ticker and astons different enough that you can spot it's not a real broadcast. (think Doctor Who back in the 9th 10th Doctor eras) This looks like the real thing here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btASKkhajEM

Normally you'd shoot using the studio cameras so that it looks as authentic as possible (3 chip 2/3" CCD studio cameras have a very different 'look' to large single-sensor CMOS 'movie' cameras), and also to ensure it is recorded as quickly as possible (Movie-style shooting would usually take too much time). It also allows you to use on-camera prompts easily.

I'm not saying this is definitely the case for the Jurassic World 2 clip - but it has been for other similar shoots AIUI.

If there are elements of 'behind the scenes' 'off camera' filming, those would be shot on movie cameras usually.

I can't comment on whether there are any rules about use of graphics, studios, presenters these days. In the old days the rule of thumb was that you could use an actor on a real set (so it didn't look real), or a real newsreader on a fake set (so it didn't look real).

However ISTR that one series of Spooks used Sky News rather than BBC News throughout (as Sky would allow the use of real newsreaders on a real set for added realism) and then the BBC's approach for subsequent shoots seem to change...
RK
Rkolsen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btASKkhajEM

Normally you'd shoot using the studio cameras so that it looks as authentic as possible (3 chip 2/3" CCD studio cameras have a very different 'look' to large single-sensor CMOS 'movie' cameras), and also to ensure it is recorded as quickly as possible (Movie-style shooting would usually take too much time). It also allows you to use on-camera prompts easily.

I'm not saying this is definitely the case for the Jurassic World 2 clip - but it has been for other similar shoots AIUI.

If there are elements of 'behind the scenes' 'off camera' filming, those would be shot on movie cameras usually.

I can't comment on whether there are any rules about use of graphics, studios, presenters these days. In the old days the rule of thumb was that you could use an actor on a real set (so it didn't look real), or a real newsreader on a fake set (so it didn't look real).

However ISTR that one series of Spooks used Sky News rather than BBC News throughout (as Sky would allow the use of real newsreaders on a real set for added realism) and then the BBC's approach for subsequent shoots seem to change...

Would you shoot at 1080p?

Additionally would the on screen graphics be added later (with the correct files) or as recorded from C’s gallery?

Newer posts