The Newsroom

BBC News at 10 to be shorter

From March 4th. (February 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BR
Brekkie
Considering the shorter run the national forecast spent the first minute or so on about tornados in the US anyway. The North West threw from the regional to national forecast rather than returning to the host to sign off.
WL
W1LL
Considering the shorter run the national forecast spent the first minute or so on about tornados in the US anyway. The North West threw from the regional to national forecast rather than returning to the host to sign off.

Don’t most regions usually do this with the late anyway? The exceptions being Hull and the opt outs, who have to pre-record their late forecasts.
AN
Andrew Founding member

Don’t most regions usually do this with the late anyway? The exceptions being Hull and the opt outs, who have to pre-record their late forecasts.

Yes they’ve done that for years

I’m sure Leeds still do it even if the late weather is prerecorded
NT
NorthTonight
I wish in Scotland they’d do the “ nation “ forecast and then still show the national UK forecast. There’s very little shown of the rest of the UK at the moment ( in any detail ). If you’re crossing the border for a holiday, and you want to know the weather, you’re stuffed!
BR
Brekkie
I wish in Scotland they’d do the “ nation “ forecast and then still show the national UK forecast. There’s very little shown of the rest of the UK at the moment ( in any detail ). If you’re crossing the border for a holiday, and you want to know the weather, you’re stuffed!

A real shame there is absolutely no other source of weather information for those in that situation.
SN
Silver Nemesis
But surely a localized forecast is more relevant to the average viewer than a national one?

There are a couple of other posts in this thread along these lines. If anything, in an age of weather apps on smartphones, it's probably the local forecast on TV which is slowly becoming less necessary than it was. There are a multitude of people who might be interested in a national forecast, especially near the end of the week, when anyone who's going away over the weekend will want to see a national forecast spanning the next couple of days at least. Quite often the national forecaster can give a wider context which is of interest too (although the US story last night was indeed tenuous!)

When I've seen the "nations" do this in the past, they often zoom out quickly to show the UK in the middle of the following day, before zooming back in and carrying on with an otherwise entirely local forecast. David Braine, at least, had the foresight to separate the regional from the national altogether last night.

To the people who say there are other sources for your weather, it's the forecast after the main news of the night and every other BBC1 bulletin is followed by an in-depth national weather forecast. It's not a big ask. Especially when it's actually being made and shown to half the audience.
BR
Brekkie
But surely a localized forecast is more relevant to the average viewer than a national one?

There are a couple of other posts in this thread along these lines. If anything, in an age of weather apps on smartphones, it's probably the local forecast on TV which is slowly becoming less necessary than it was. There are a multitude of people who might be interested in a national forecast, especially near the end of the week, when anyone who's going away over the weekend will want to see a national forecast spanning the next couple of days at least.

Most peoples lifestyles don't involve going across the country every week, and even if the forecast is good unless you live in the Midlands it would likely be the local coastline you're heading for. Anyone going further afield is probably going anyway do the weather is somewhat irrelevant.
CW
CraigWills
Asa posted:
But you are saying they’ve axed it altogether. I think the Beeb have bitten off more that they can chew in that case, you can mess around with many things, but mess about with the weather...

There was a national forecast as normal with Sarah Keith-Lucas, just Spotlight didn't take it. Can't see them getting away with that for very long otherwise surely every region would be doing it.

Apparently a few regions are piloting a combined regional+national forecast after the regional news, rather than the split regional+national approach with two presenters currently used. The pilot is approved and not them going rogue.

I think it’s not a bad idea doing a regional forecast which has a national overview, as it does get repetitive when they’re back to back and especially considering the more detailed regional one precedes the national one. ITV have it better with News at Ten, National Weather, Local News, Local Weather as it at least splits the information.
AN
Andrew Founding member
Even in the world of weather apps there is still definitely a place for a national forecast.

As some forecasters like to point out, app forecasts are computer generated and are often not very accurate, or in many cases too precise meaning you get extremes of weather from hour to hour and people expect that to happen. TV forecasts but the weather into context and explain why the weather is going to occur in the way it is.
WM
WMD
So, a bit of a mess-up on BBC Channel Islands. They opted back to Plymouth rather than London, so there was about 10 seconds of David Braine’s South West/National mash-up weather, before crashing back to the network forecast.
LL
London Lite Founding member
WMD posted:
So, a bit of a mess-up on BBC Channel Islands. They opted back to Plymouth rather than London, so there was about 10 seconds of David Braine’s South West/National mash-up weather, before crashing back to the network forecast.

As far as I'm aware Plymouth handles the opt for the Channel Islands, so they opted back to the main South West feed instead.
WM
WMD

As far as I'm aware Plymouth handles the opt for the Channel Islands, so they opted back to the main South West feed instead.

I perhaps wasn’t clear. CI opted back to Plymouth with David Braine mid-forecast. Then a few seconds later opted back to network, which itself had already begun. The Plymouth version stuck with David Braine and the bulletin close until the end of the (extended) opt. But CI crashed to Plymouth and then crashed again to network.

Newer posts