The Newsroom

Question Time with Fiona Bruce

January 2019 Onwards (January 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
:-(
A former member
It’s thoroughly depressing - but it’s what happens when the voices of the extreme left and the extreme right drown out the vast majority of voices in the middle.
Lottie Long-Legs and Brekkie gave kudos
JO
Joe
Not sure it’s having much effect outside of social media, though – but it’s certainly dangerous.
BR
Brekkie
Joe posted:
Not sure it’s having much effect outside of social media, though – but it’s certainly dangerous.

You missed a little thing called Brexit then?
A former member
Joe posted:

This is the problem - it’s going beyond social media. Social media is what has caused it though as it gives people the confidence to spout any old nut job idea, and it’s gone from people being keyboard warriors to people feeling emboldened enough to go out and harass Anna Soubry, or hound Luciana Berger out of her party, and countless other examples. Not to mention Jo Cox. I wouldn’t want to be an MP these days.
Lottie Long-Legs, Brekkie and Spencer gave kudos
BR
Brekkie
Joe posted:

This is the problem - it’s going beyond social media. Social media is what has caused it though as it gives people the confidence to spout any old nut job idea, and it’s gone from people being keyboard warriors to people feeling emboldened enough to go out and harass Anna Soubry, or hound Luciana Berger out of her party, and countless other examples. Not to mention Jo Cox. I wouldn’t want to be an MP these days.

It's a whole other topic but do feel social media is the scapegoat of both the press and politicians for the rise in extremism on the right at least when in reality it's the rhetoric of the press and leading politicians which have presented extreme opinions as reasonable fact.

To keep it TV related the broadcast media have failed to challenge it adequately, though maybe fear of social media is a factor there. The BBC Press Office are certainly to quick to issue statements of the obvious in reaction to ridiculous unfounded complaints.
WO
Worzel
Joe posted:

It's a whole other topic but do feel social media is the scapegoat of both the press and politicians for the rise in extremism on the right at least when in reality it's the rhetoric of the press and leading politicians which have presented extreme opinions as reasonable fact.

To keep it TV related the broadcast media have failed to challenge it adequately, though maybe fear of social media is a factor there. The BBC Press Office are certainly to quick to issue statements of the obvious in reaction to ridiculous unfounded complaints.

You see quite a lot of bad behaviour from the far left quite frequently, not just on Question Time. Especially when Corbyn or McDonnell supporters are on there, or indeed, Owen Jones to that matter.

The reason why Chuka Umunna and the like left the Labour party was because of the abuse, threats and bullying they were receiving from the far left, so its not quite right to paint out that extremism only manifests itself on the right of politics, because it doesnt.

Plus I don't see anyone on mainstream media painting out that Tommy Robinson is some kind of well loved Britain who's views are classed as 'reasonable facts' or are considered mainstream. Quite the opposite I'd say.
Last edited by Worzel on 3 March 2019 11:44am - 3 times in total
derek500, tightrope78 and davidhorman gave kudos
A former member
I think it’s fair to say that those who criticise social media quite often don’t really understand it.
London Lite and Brekkie gave kudos
BR
Brekkie
Oh absolutely - there is alot to be said for centre politics and it's the vacation of that ground in both directions which is causing us huge issues as a country now.

Also the splits in both parties make it tricky for a show like Question Time to accurately reflect the range of opinion in Parliament. It feels like now 5 seats isn't enough to cover the spectrum of views.
Jeffmister and BBI45 gave kudos
EL
elmarko
There's an open goal for a politics/psychology book right now. A lot of reactions that people have seem to be just the kinda thing that somebody on their side or their position would be expected to say, rather than any kind of informed commentary looking at data, evidence, logic etc.

It's endlessly depressing.
GL
globaltraffic24
There's an open goal for a politics/psychology book right now. A lot of reactions that people have seem to be just the kinda thing that somebody on their side or their position would be expected to say, rather than any kind of informed commentary looking at data, evidence, logic etc.

It's endlessly depressing.

I agree to some point, but Question Time is definitely playing its part in creating that new culture. My guess is that the Indy company in charge has been tasked with creating 'social engagement' and 'buzz' - both of these are fine when it's entertainment, but it's incredibly dangerous when the format is current affairs. Each edition I've watched recently appears to select a target group- whether it's Brexiteers, Remainers, Pro-Indy supporters in Scotland, Labour voters, etc. The audience appears to be overwhelmingly weighted to one side of an argument, and the show focuses heavily on that one issue. The natural response from the producers is to argue that they've created balance over the whole series, but it doesn't work like that.

The simplest solution is for the BBC to take the show in-house and task the BBC News division with its production. That said, Mentorn appears to have listened to the complaints in Scotland. The new 'Debate Night' show, which is largely a Scottish version of Question Time has proved to be overwhelmingly well received in the press, on social media and among all audience groups (Left, Right, young, old, Yes, No, etc). So, the company DOES know how to fix the problem. It's clearly just not willing to on Question Time.

18 days later

AN
Andrew Founding member
If there is any way to add more complexity to the Brexit debate, it’s to add Northern Irish politics on the top with the DUP arguing with Sinn Fein.

Im surprised they’ve chosen this week for the Northern Irish edition.
RD
rdd Founding member
Ironically, it’s going out in NI timeshifted (as usual) to 11:20pm.

Newer posts