TV Home Forum

Eurovision 2019

Israel - KAN - Tel Aviv - SFs 14, 16 May - Final 18 May - UK - Michael Rice. (May 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
WH
Whataday Founding member
Or perhaps they intend to sell them to generate even more revenue?
DI
digipal
Ha.

Why the queue opened up four hours early I'm unsure - last year it was random places so I opened as many browsers on as many computers as I possibly could. At one point I had IE, Edge, Chrome, Firefox and Opera all going on 9 different machines but to no avail.

Should add I did the Jury shows in Lisbon but this year it ain't happening. Means I can fly out Monday, not Sunday, so a night's less stay which has also bought the cost down. Found a decent studio apartment to hire for the week too for under 400 quid; last year I stayed at an Ibis which was probably a bit OTT for my needs.

EasyJet are flying to TLV from Luton, again the prices are reasonable - just over 300 quid including a hold bag. As I'm on the early flight I'll do what I did last year and kip at the Ibis Budget, as you basically get a night's stay, parking and transfers for little more than a week's parking would set me back.

The ticket prices are what's killing me this year - and I'm not being funny but why does Green Room cost more than the arena? Pay more to watch the show on television?! I imagine most will shun that idea and just watch in the EuroVillage.

KAN have released renders of what the green room will look like. There seems too be a smallish, behind glass, room with a podium in it which is where I'm guessing they may be hosting the voting from. This has all been too late and too much of a hassle this year, so I'll be watching from home

http://esctoday.com/172638/eurovision-2019-kan-unveils-the-green-room-design/
BM
BM11
I'm not sure I should even be giving this the oxygen of publicity, but for the sake of documenting "as it happens" for future generations... UA:PBC have said they'll come back for the 2020 show...

...provided, of course, a certain country doesn't win in Tel Aviv.

One of many sources for this, this one from WiwiBloggs... let's do this and what not.

For once, BM11's wild theories hold water - the Russian-hosted World Cup last year didn't get broadcast in Ukraine (although they failed to qualify anyway) and UA:PBC have as good as said they won't be participating in any Russian-hosted Eurovision. Even if Sergey doesn't win in Tel Aviv, they will do sooner rather than later.

One wonders if the EBU should ban countries that are in active conflict with other member states - which would kick out Ukraine, Russia, Armenia and Azerbaijan. The Ukraine/Russia thing is just pathetic, and are we really supposed to believe that every single Armenian and Azeri juror in both ESC and JESC history has just so happened to like the other nation's song the least?

One year either Armenia or Azerbaijan didnt put them last and they put the other second from bottom or something.
If Russia got banned Belarus would go and they would try and pressure other countries to follow, including places like Italy.
What's going to happen at Euro 2020 if Ukraine qualify? Will they rig the draw the make sure they cant play in St Petersburg. Are they going to end up like how the middle east wont show Israeli material and boycott competitions at the Olympics.
Last edited by BM11 on 2 March 2019 12:18pm - 2 times in total
DV
DVB Cornwall
SVT have made a right pigs ear of this year's Melfest. Wasn't cut though on SVT Play for AppleTV for eight mins tonight. Similar issues for the previous four weeks too.

SVT's Gustav FanGirling greatly

Last edited by DVB Cornwall on 2 March 2019 9:53pm
JM
JamesM0984
That's not platform specific - it's normally well after 19:05 UTC before I can access it via my Android Smart TV. I know they take the Geoblock off especially but you would think there'd be a simple "Watch SVT1" option, with a blackout message on until 19:00.

Conversely, YLE Areena ran like a dream for UMK tonight.
JM
JamesM0984
Not that I'm too fussed mind you - it's extremely good of these broadcasters to allow international fans a legal way of watching national finals.

Given the international attention Melodifestivalen gets, it's a credit to SVT that the feed stays up with what must be a much higher number of people streaming their live feed than they normally have.
NG
noggin Founding member
That's not platform specific - it's normally well after 19:05 UTC before I can access it via my Android Smart TV. I know they take the Geoblock off especially but you would think there'd be a simple "Watch SVT1" option, with a blackout message on until 19:00.

Conversely, YLE Areena ran like a dream for UMK tonight.

Ah - for a long time SVT had separate live streams of Melodifestivalen separate to the 'Kanal' feeds which weren't geoblocked, and the Kanal streams remained geoblocked for the duration.
BM
BM11
https://www.jpost.com/BDS-THREAT/Icelandic-band-may-protest-Israel-at-Eurovision-582272
Are they going to perform some stunt during the live broadcast which could well backfire.
:-(
A former member
BM11 posted:
https://www.jpost.com/BDS-THREAT/Icelandic-band-may-protest-Israel-at-Eurovision-582272
Are they going to perform some stunt during the live broadcast which could well backfire.

No.
BM
BM11
BM11 posted:

No.

I think they could. They seem to be there mainly to protest, they don't think Isreal should be in Eurovision let alone hosting.
GM
Gary McEwan
BM11 posted:
BM11 posted:

No.

I think they could. They seem to be there mainly to protest, they don't think Isreal should be in Eurovision let alone hosting.

Thankfully you're not in charge of it. As long as Israel continue to be a member of the EBU, then they are more than entitled to enter.
BM
BM11
BM11 posted:

Thankfully you're not in charge of it. As long as Israel continue to be a member of the EBU, then they are more than entitled to enter.

I am strongly in favour of isreal participation. But this bigoted band from Iceland are not and I think they could attempt some silly stunt during their performance.

Newer posts