The Gallery

BBC News: Reith Style

Refreshing the news (December 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
PF
PFML84
It is nice darker, but the NEWS being the size of the BBC blocks and not matching the size of the BBC letters within them still looks off to me.
BR
Brekkie
Do like the darker version, but wouldn't ditch the lighter version completely. I do like it when news programmes use the simple trick of the look getting darker throughout the day as a simple way to add a little bit of distinctiveness to some rather generic branding.
BA
Bail Moderator
The "news" text is the same height as the BBC blocks (not the text within them) which is what a lot of BBC branding seems to be doing now, more-so with the distancing from Gill towards Reith.
WO
Woodpecker
Do like the darker version, but wouldn't ditch the lighter version completely. I do like it when news programmes use the simple trick of the look getting darker throughout the day as a simple way to add a little bit of distinctiveness to some rather generic branding.

Agreed. I also really liked what the VRT did for many years, which was to use different colours depending on the time of day, as you can see in the video below (which dates from their 2013 rebrand):

MW
Mike W
Love the clock elements, like a perfect blend of 1999, 2007 and 2008.
Excellent work Bail, as always!
PB
PercivalBanks

Agreed. I also really liked what the VRT did for many years, which was to use different colours depending on the time of day, as you can see in the video below (which dates from their 2013 rebrand):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMnP-aPTiQ0

As a Belgian, I was so sick and tired of this approach, given that they already used it back in 2002, carried it to their 2008 rebrand, and then 2013. The design they have now is much more constistent. But I do agree that progress in terms of decor is nice. VRT still has this in a way. Their news broadcasts now project a clear bright skyline of Brussels (at 13.00 & 19.00). Time progresses a bit outside when their second channel news broadcast, 'Terzake' (at 20.00) airs, but after 'Terzake', there is 'De Afspraak' (At 20.35) turns well and truly night-newsy

lukeshep, Quatorzine Neko and Woodpecker gave kudos
WO
Woodpecker

As a Belgian, I was so sick and tired of this approach, given that they already used it back in 2002, carried it to their 2008 rebrand, and then 2013. The design they have now is much more constistent. But I do agree that progress in terms of decor is nice. VRT still has this in a way. Their news broadcasts now project a clear bright skyline of Brussels (at 13.00 & 19.00). Time progresses a bit outside when their second channel news broadcast, 'Terzake' (at 20.00) airs, but after 'Terzake', there is 'De Afspraak' (At 20.35) turns well and truly night-newsy

First of all, welcome to the forum! I must admit, I do like their current skyline approach; though not being a regular watcher of either Terzake or De Afspraak, I hadn't quite twigged that that was where the main news had took the idea from. As for the changing colour device, I always thought it was a very effective way of differentiating each bulletin. Saying that, I can certainly see why you thought it was tired, and perhaps with the media landscape becoming ever more saturated, the VRT thought it would be better to stick to a fixed colour scheme, in order to more strongly reinforce their brand.
PF
PFML84
Bail posted:
The "news" text is the same height as the BBC blocks (not the text within them) which is what a lot of BBC branding seems to be doing now, more-so with the distancing from Gill towards Reith.

And we now have BBC Scotland going against that trend and having the Scotland the same height as the letters in the blocks! Gotta love BBC branding consistency!
PB
PercivalBanks

First of all, welcome to the forum! I must admit, I do like their current skyline approach; though not being a regular watcher of either Terzake or De Afspraak, I hadn't quite twigged that that was where the main news had took the idea from. As for the changing colour device, I always thought it was a very effective way of differentiating each bulletin. Saying that, I can certainly see why you thought it was tired, and perhaps with the media landscape becoming ever more saturated, the VRT thought it would be better to stick to a fixed colour scheme, in order to more strongly reinforce their brand.

Well thank you for that welcome ! And yes I follow you on the argument a little identity to each bulletin is a nice touch. However, after more than a decade, Flanders truly had enough of it, even the anchors said in interviews they were against it now. A much nicer way to distinguish news bulletins would be the way ITV separates the regular bulletins from News at ten. Pic is the logos of the 2008 rebrand. Couldn't find footage of the 2002 original in image, but if you youtube VRT Journaal 2002, I'm sure you'd find plently of stuff from that period.
WO
Woodpecker

Well thank you for that welcome ! And yes I follow you on the argument a little identity to each bulletin is a nice touch. However, after more than a decade, Flanders truly had enough of it, even the anchors said in interviews they were against it now. A much nicer way to distinguish news bulletins would be the way ITV separates the regular bulletins from News at ten. Pic is the logos of the 2008 rebrand. Couldn't find footage of the 2002 original in image, but if you youtube VRT Journaal 2002, I'm sure you'd find plently of stuff from that period.

I'm very familiar with the 2002 look - I must admit, I absolutely adore it, especially the music. Certainly, when you compare it to what the NOS were using at the time, I'd say the VRT were streets ahead. Indeed, I'd almost say that that 2002 look would still look good on screen now.

You mention that the anchors had said they had gotten fed up with the colour-changing - I never actually knew that, so for me that's an interesting tidbit of information.
PB
PercivalBanks

I'm very familiar with the 2002 look - I must admit, I absolutely adore it, especially the music. Certainly, when you compare it to what the NOS were using at the time, I'd say the VRT were streets ahead. Indeed, I'd almost say that that 2002 look would still look good on screen now.

You mention that the anchors had said they had gotten fed up with the colour-changing - I never actually knew that, so for me that's an interesting tidbit of information.

Yes they quite were. And true, the 2002 was a very good concept with amazing music, but dragging it kicking and screaming all the way to 2013 was in my view a mistake. Certainly if you look at what VTM (our biggest commercial broadcaster) did, in 2013 they rebranded their news just like VRT, but did it much better. The music also perfectly orchestrated by a composer I actually know personally. He composed all the tunes from the early 2000s up until the 2013 rebrand, the 2018 rebrand is not of his making anymore, take a look if you wish! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjjlozOEbo0&t=4s

By the way, speaking about VRT, they recently launched their 'VRT NWS Update' programme, a 2-3 minute programme, to replace the 6 O' Clock news bulletin. Love the music on that one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Cd8IFlE_sk
Last edited by PercivalBanks on 1 March 2019 9:33pm
WO
Woodpecker

Yes they quite were. And true, the 2002 was a very good concept with amazing music, but dragging it kicking and screaming all the way to 2013 was in my view a mistake. Certainly if you look at what VTM (our biggest commercial broadcaster) did, in 2013 they rebranded their news just like VRT, but did it much better. The music also perfectly orchestrated by a composer I actually know personally. He composed all the tunes from the early 2000s up until the 2013 rebrand, the 2018 rebrand is not of his making anymore, take a look if you wish! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjjlozOEbo0&t=4s

By the way, speaking about VRT, they recently launched their 'VRT NWS Update' programme, a 2-3 minute programme, to replace the 6 O' Clock news bulletin. Love the music on that one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Cd8IFlE_sk

I love that 2013 look and music, though I've always thought that the music would have felt equally at home in a Hollywood blockbuster. In fact, I don't think VTM have ever had bad news music. The 2004 theme (when it was first called 'Het Nieuws') will always remain my favourite, though. I love everything about that period - the music, the set, the graphics, everything.

I liked the VRT NWS Updates, though I notice they've scrapped them this week and brought back the 6pm news. Seems a shame, IMO.
Last edited by Woodpecker on 3 March 2019 11:46am - 2 times in total

Newer posts