The Newsroom

BBC News Scotland | News at Nine

Full Team and Line Up announced (February 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NE
Newsroom24
It all looks really very impressive and is much better than I was expecting. I think the set is really simple but effective and think the colours all work really well. I love how the set is in the middle of the BBC Scotland building and think that think the countdown is also a very nice idea - it's got a very European feel to it.

I don't mind the titles and I can see what they are going for, though I do think they could have done a little better in this respect, but generally, they are fine.

My biggest dislike is the introduction VO, done by the person with the thick Scottish accent, would have prefered someone with a slightly more subtle Scottish accent.

Generally though, mostly positive and I really look forward to seeing what the future holds.
RD
RDJ
The titles remind me of 80's Midlands Today.

Other than that the graphics and look are good.

I'm not sure if the logic of 'The Nine' is going to pull in viewers though. There seems to be no Scottish perspective on the national stories. And the correspondents seems to be encouraged to be using informal language and slang, presumably to attract a younger audience.

I'm sure you wouldn't find the Westminster Correspondent use "hashtag spoiler alert' on the National News.
WO
Worzel
Looks very modern. The standing pres continues. Wink Very Happy

All quite informal, too - I am very surprised they've allowed Martin Geissler on air in a shirt and jeans. Not even a jacket! Makes a nice change, though.

I knew the day would arrive. The English regions could learn a thing or two.
JW
JamesWorldNews
Well done, Scotland.
RE
reubz
I'm impressed further since I was only in Iceland last week. To see James Cook in the very lagoon I was in a week ago is quite bizarre!
MO
Moz
So someone had to do it...

WO
Woodpecker
Looks very modern. The standing pres continues. Wink Very Happy

All quite informal, too - I am very surprised they've allowed Martin Geissler on air in a shirt and jeans. Not even a jacket! Makes a nice change, though.

And not a chair in sight. I said in the Sky News thread a few weeks ago that I'd love to see a British broadcaster ditch the chairs - and here we are! In fact, I've been saying on here for months that UK news pres in general is far too conservative, especially compared to what you see on the continent, so I'm very glad to see that The Nine has opted for a looser, less formal style.
bkman1990 and fanoftv gave kudos
WO
Worzel

And not a chair in sight. I said in the Sky News thread a few weeks ago that I'd love to see a British broadcaster ditch the chairs - and here we are! In fact, I've been saying on here for months that UK news pres in general is far too conservative, especially compared to what you see on the continent, so I'm very glad to see that The Nine has opted for a looser, less formal style.

I've been saying it for 10 years or more. Wink
thegeek and Woodpecker gave kudos
BR
Brekkie
Obviously the backdrop is far more impressive but the floorspace can't be much different to what they have in Salford for Breakfast, yet feels so much bigger.
MD
mdtauk
Moz posted:
So someone had to do it...

A lot closer to the social media captions than I was expecting, but not unpleasantly so
WO
Woodpecker
Obviously the backdrop is far more impressive but the floorspace can't be much different to what they have in Salford for Breakfast, yet feels so much bigger.

I was thinking that myself - they've made very good use of what seems like quite a small floorspace.

Going back to my point about formal/informal styles of news, I realise I'm going off on a tangent here, but I'd love to see a channel (perhaps even BBC Scotland themselves, if the budget were there) try a late news similar to that of TVNZ. It's quite a bit less formal than the main news - the men don't wear ties, they play music over the weather (Alanis Morissette in the clip below - skip to 7:16 for that), and whilst it is still serious when necessary (it is the news, after all), everything is just a lot more relaxed, with the odd sarcastic comment where appropriate - perfect, IMO, for when you're about to go to bed.

Obviously, there is still a place for your more serious, suited 'n' booted type news, especially during major events, and I would never dream of getting rid of it entirely; however, I don't see why every single bulletin on every single channel has to be like that. I do think that innovation has been sorely lacking in British TV news for some years now - broadcasters in Europe (I know I sound like a stuck record at this point) are innovating and trying new things, but here, broadcasters seem to be largely plodding along as they did ten years ago - and this is why I find the style of The Nine such a breath of fresh air.
Last edited by Woodpecker on 25 February 2019 11:00pm - 2 times in total
DV
DVB Cornwall
The Scotsman has Spoken

https://www.scotsman.com/lifestyle/the-nine-review-assured-debut-for-bbc-scotland-s-flagship-news-show-1-4879208/amp?__twitter_impression=true

Newer posts