TV Home Forum

BBC Scotland - the launch

Split from BBC Scotland channel - service to also launch in HD (February 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
ST
steveboswell
Wow. Absolutely love the look of The Nine. What a breath of fresh air.
:-(
A former member
Oh, The Nine. All going so well until those titles...
GM
GMc

They are rather rubbish, aren't they? Loving the set and graphics, though.
JexedBack and Woodpecker gave kudos
VM
VMPhil

I may have laughed out loud at the conclusion of those titles… something about random photos of people cut to the beat of the music makes it unintentionally funny.
NW
nwtv2003
GMc posted:

The titles did not feel like what a national news programme should be like, to be honest I was expecting something very generic, so fair enough to them for putting thought into it, but the execution is poor.

Great use of Reith and Reith serif throughout, it looks smart and neat on screen.
Quatorzine Neko and Josh gave kudos
NW
nwtv2003

I may have laughed out loud at the conclusion of those titles… something about random photos of people cut to the beat of the music makes it unintentionally funny.

It’s a modern day Midlands Today...

:-(
A former member
The Nine titles:

bkman1990, Brekkie and Josh gave kudos
WO
Woodpecker
GMc posted:

Are they meant to show that 'news is about the people/for the people' or somesuch? I don't live in Scotland, so probably won't be watching The Nine very often, but were I a regular viewer, those faces would begin to grate on me very quickly. I can see the titles being changed before long. In fact, do we even need such a long set of titles in this day and age? Why not just have a nice pan of the studio, mixed with some AR, like so many European news programmes do?

Anyway, rant over. I must say, everything else looks (and sounds) fab. I especially like the somewhat looser style of presentation - a real breath of fresh air, IMO.
DV
DVB Cornwall
The stated aim is news for all the people of Scotland, hence the kaleidoscope of faces, I thought it worked well.
WO
Woodpecker
The stated aim is news for all the people of Scotland, hence the kaleidoscope of faces, I thought it worked well.

I just think it comes across as a tad pompous and condescending - 'Ooh, look at us, we're bringing news to the people!' I also tend to find that seeing the exact same sequence of the exact same faces everyday would begin to grate after a while. It's why people idents never work, IMO.
JO
Joe
Perhaps the strength of the title is that they don’t look like national new titles.

I’ve only seen the capture above (thanks for that) but the music and cuts seem slightly misaligned to me.

Wonder if that’s specially-commissioned photography or stock? As photos, they’re nice.

I wonder if the titles would work a little better if they had some kind of purple overlay (sounds naff and cliche now I’ve written it) to incorporate them into the visuals a bit more.
BR
Brekkie
Awful idea, but the graphics look great. Recutting them to include images of the news might work though.
bkman1990 and Woodpecker gave kudos

Newer posts