TV Home Forum

Your thoughts on Kids TV?

What everybody thinks about children’s tv shows/channels (February 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
TV
TVVT
I know it won't come back, BUT, I think Kids TV in the UK will come back on itself. I think the reboots of the last 5 years will eventually make it that it will come back to the 'old days' but in a new era.
I agree with your words, I would also like to see a return to in-vision on kids channels
WH
Whataday Founding member
Fox Kids had in vision continuity provided by Granada. I only know this as I remember the set being an attraction on the Granada Studios Tour.
RI
Riaz
I know it won't come back, BUT, I think Kids TV in the UK will come back on itself. I think the reboots of the last 5 years will eventually make it that it will come back to the 'old days' but in a new era.

I'm beginning to wonder if CBBC / CBeebies are running in parallel with the overall picture of kids TV viewing, because of the unusual way that they are funded, and CITV has almost become a ghost.

I have doubts if the 'old days' can ever come back due to changes in society and technology. Although a person who says you can't turn back the clock usually doesn't know much about clocks (including those that appeared on TV screens), children are not an audience that you can sell nostalgia to despite many children's programmes being timeless.
RI
Riaz
Tv companies give up on 11 -18 olds back in the 90s. Thus these people have been left behide and gone to other portals for there entertainment.

Did this have anything to do with violence in TV programmes?

Something that has stuck in my mind was the time when I was involved with a children's ward at a hospital, when a manager expunged a large number of DVDs (some of which I had supplied) of cartoons because they were deemed too violent. I don't think it had anything to do with age ratings, just personal opinions of the cartoons. The end result was that what remained of the DVDs was biased towards younger children and there was very little for the 8 to 16 age group.
TV
TVVT
CBeebies changed the DOG today

EDIT: The DOG looks like it is back in old form
IS
Inspector Sands
They brought in a new one for the mornings when they have a clock on screen. Previously it was the same clock as CBBC's but it didn't fit the logo well and was very small
TV
TVVT
They brought in a new one for the mornings when they have a clock on screen. Previously it was the same clock as CBBC's but it didn't fit the logo well and was very small

It also has BBC Reith
RI
Riaz
the only thing we've really had to block are foreign language, mainly Russian versions of cartoons like Thomas, mainly because he's learning to talk and it will confuse him.

Does anybody here object to foreign children's programmes in their original language soundtrack with English subtitles?

I have discussed this with parents and not many of them object to it providing the programmes are good quality, but most of them think that British TV channels have an aversion to showing children's programmes where the soundtrack isn't English.
JA
james-2001
I think part of that thing is many children, especially younger ones, likely can't read to a standard where they could follow subtitles. That's why kids shows tend to be dubbed even in countries that usually subtitle.
TriPiece, Brekkie and bilky asko gave kudos
TP
TriPiece
I find it kinda weird that CBeebies have had well known people present shows, such as David Tennant and Elton John. Like who (Apart from the target audience) hasn’t heard of those people for example.
DV
DVB Cornwall
It's the known responsible Adult for the parents judgement mainly.
RI
Riaz
I think part of that thing is many children, especially younger ones, likely can't read to a standard where they could follow subtitles. That's why kids shows tend to be dubbed even in countries that usually subtitle.

I can see subtitles as being problematic for programmes intended for younger children, but it's less of a problem for older children and young teenagers. There is a flipside of (properly done) subtitles in that it might help improve children's reading ability.

It really is true that millions of children worldwide have to either learn another language or read subtitles in order to watch a cartoon! Dubbing is increasing in use but is still mainly used by TV channels / producers with deeper pockets or in languages with large numbers of speakers. There are generally more economic benefits of dubbing TV programmes in Spanish or Arabic than they are in Albanian or Balochi.

Another factor that can't be ignored is an increase in the number of children in Britain who know a language other than English, although the number and diversity of languages in use is challenging from an economic perspective, including the provision of TV programmes.

Newer posts