« Topics
JKDerry1,589 posts since 15 Oct 2016
UTV Newsline
The BBC have officially announced the commission of The Goes Wrong Show, six brand new shows to be recorded in front of a live audience up in Dock10 Studios at Media City in Salford, where they also filmed the Christmas Carol Goes Wrong.

I would love to be in the audience for those shows. Filming starts in March.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2019/goes-wrong

Great news.

I am going to try and get tickets.
Inspector Sands13,584 posts since 25 Aug 2004
I've mixed feelings about the Goes Wrong thing. Loved the first one, thought the second was awful. Hopefully a series where they can establish characters and create running jokes will work better
Whataday9,924 posts since 13 Sep 2001
HTV Wales Wales Today
Even in the UK the sitcoms that were done without an audience tended to be shown to one later, so it's still real laughter. I can only really think of some kiddy sitcoms (like Spatz and My Parents Are Aliens) that have genuinely used fake laughter over here.

I may be completely wrong but the laughter on Mr Bean sounds pretty fake. Although having said that I'm sure I've heard coughing from the audience so perhaps it's real laughter with some enhancement.
davidhorman2,223 posts since 8 Mar 2005
Channel Channel Islands
I've mixed feelings about the Goes Wrong thing. Loved the first one, thought the second was awful. Hopefully a series where they can establish characters and create running jokes will work better

I don't know which one I watched but it was awful. It felt far too scripted and over-rehearsed to be funny, if you know what I mean, and if I remember rightly it also looked like it was edited to shreds - the same thing that ruined the third series of Miranda and that sitcom about advertising with Simon Farnaby.

It's a great premise but it had a Cbeebies execution.
UTV Newsline
The 2017 A Christmas Carol Goes Wrong was truly bad. It felt forced, and I do not think it was filmed before a live studio audience, I think it was either shown to an audience or canned laughter was added, as the audience did not play a part of the show, as it did during the brilliant Peter Pan Goes Wrong back in 2016.
Hatton Cross3,219 posts since 4 Jan 2003
Central (West) Midlands Today
Additionally - in the Play That Goes Wrong, you also have 'action' in the centre of the stage (and without giving too much away for those who haven't seen it - and if not, try and go - it'll do your sides no good at all) action in the 'sound box' stage right.
In a theatre you can keep your attention to the dialogue with the actors on stage centre - and what's going on, stage right.
Problem doing those gags on TV - no matter how good the designer of the stage is, the director will keep having to cut to wideshots taken from the back of the studio, or a low down side angle from stage left.

After a time it'll get irritating.
My user name might look like Hatton Cross, but it's pronounced Throatwobbler Mangrove.
Whataday gave kudos
Hatton Cross3,219 posts since 4 Jan 2003
Central (West) Midlands Today
The 2017 A Christmas Carol Goes Wrong was truly bad. It felt forced, and I do not think it was filmed before a live studio audience, I think it was either shown to an audience or canned laughter was added, as the audience did not play a part of the show, as it did during the brilliant Peter Pan Goes Wrong back in 2016.

You think wrong.

Both were done in front of a live studio audience. Peter Pan at Pinewood - Christmas Carol in Studio 1 at Dock10/Mediacity. Both recorded in the September before Christmas transmission.

For Peter Pan, it was recorded twice. Afternoon and evening on the same day, and (if it's out there) the audience were clearly shown several times. Not sure about Christmas Carol, may have been just the one recording session.

BBC Tickets did the audience wrangling. There was a live audience for both shows.
There may have been some 'enhancement' of the laughter for some gags that fell flat in recording, done in post-prod which would give the slightly 'canned' sound.
My user name might look like Hatton Cross, but it's pronounced Throatwobbler Mangrove.
UTV Newsline

You think wrong.

Both were done in front of a live studio audience. Peter Pan at Pinewood - Christmas Carol in Studio 1 at Dock10/Mediacity. Both recorded in the September before Christmas transmission.

For Peter Pan, it was recorded twice. Afternoon and evening on the same day, and (if it's out there) the audience were clearly shown several times. Not sure about Christmas Carol, may have been just the one recording session.

BBC Tickets did the audience wrangling. There was a live audience for both shows.
There may have been some 'enhancement' of the laughter for some gags that fell flat in recording, done in post-prod which would give the slightly 'canned' sound.

Did you not read what I wrote, I did not think there was a live studio audience for A Christmas Carol Goes Wrong, I got that feeling just by the way it looked, and that the studio audience were never seen, compared to Peter Pan where we saw the audience. So, thank you for updating me on this, but read my words and see I never stated that I knew there was or wasn't an audience present.
Whataday9,924 posts since 13 Sep 2001
HTV Wales Wales Today
Back to Alan, there was a clip of tonight's show on Lorraine and it seems we get to see the action as seen through the studio cameras while the various One Show style VTs are playing (with dodgy camera angles, heads cut off etc). No filmic effect - but perhaps as speculated that may be used on action which takes place outside the studio.

Also as suspected, no audience laughter.

Is that half of the original Daybreak sofa, I wonder.
rdobbie and DeMarkay gave kudos
james-20014,841 posts since 13 Sep 2015
Central (East) East Midlands Today

bilky asko and Inspector Sands gave kudos