« Topics
Brekkie30,734 posts since 4 Jan 2003 Recently warned
HTV Wales Wales Today
Jetting off to LA 5 days before broadcast, I think we know who’s getting the most out of the Oscars special (and it’s not the viewers!):

Given how little interest GMB’s target audience have in the Oscars, it’s surprising that they’re making such a fuss about it.

Ummm you've never heard of prep work for a show?

Similar to the long period where Erron was based at TVC when the show was still at TLS, making sure everything was in place for broadcast day. It doesn't matter if it is for one morning or for the rest of time, preparation is still required.

The preparation required for permanently moving studios and production facilities is very different (completely different in fact) to preparing for a single broadcast in a different location. I’ve no doubt preparation and rehearsals are required, but I highly doubt 5 days is the industry standard for preparing a single 2 and half hour broadcast (happy to be proved incorrect if this is the case though).

Take off one day for the flight and the fact the Oscars are Sunday, not Monday, plus a day off for them maybe and it's not much prep time at all. They don't just turn up at 5.55am you know.
Shouldn't that have been posted in the "John Logie Baird has Invented Television" thread?
Night Thoughts gave kudos
Aaron_20151,029 posts since 11 Mar 2015
Westcountry Spotlight
Take off one day for the flight and the fact the Oscars are Sunday, not Monday, plus a day off for them maybe and it's not much prep time at all. They don't just turn up at 5.55am you know .

I quite agree, hence the comment in my previous post:
Quote:
I’ve no doubt preparation and rehearsals are required.

My wider point was less about how exactly how many days of preparation is required, and more about the whole thing appearing to be a bit of a jolly. There’s no real editorial advantage to having Piers and Susanna anchoring from LA.

I’m happy to stand corrected but I fear that the majority of the show will be from LA with just news inserts from Charlotte in London. I’m holding out hope that’ll they have Charlotte in London (alongside Kate or whoever, Sean even?) presenting other items, such as the news reviews/interviews etc. Almost like a 50-50 split between London and LA.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the news gets squeezed out by Morgan rambling on. A split between the studio and LA would make sense given the current news cycle, but I think it’s unlikely.
Newsroom24 and ittrgrey gave kudos
BFGArmy263 posts since 15 Jan 2018
London London

Ummm you've never heard of prep work for a show?

Similar to the long period where Erron was based at TVC when the show was still at TLS, making sure everything was in place for broadcast day. It doesn't matter if it is for one morning or for the rest of time, preparation is still required.

The preparation required for permanently moving studios and production facilities is very different (completely different in fact) to preparing for a single broadcast in a different location. I’ve no doubt preparation and rehearsals are required, but I highly doubt 5 days is the industry standard for preparing a single 2 and half hour broadcast (happy to be proved incorrect if this is the case though).

Take off one day for the flight and the fact the Oscars are Sunday, not Monday, plus a day off for them maybe and it's not much prep time at all. They don't just turn up at 5.55am you know.

Sunday evening US time though so they'd still have most of Sunday to prepare. I do agree with others that 4+ days preparation seems a bit over-the-top especially when on rolling news channels you see presenters anchoring a big news story on-location very soon after it's broken for hours on end with next to no preparation time and on stories that probably require much more research and preparation than Oscars fluff.

Have to say the reception for GMB seems a fair bit more positive when it's Madeley presenting - seen a few clips of him doing the rounds. He's very Partridge but endearingly so and it's not as if GMB is a hard news show in any case.
Aaron_2015 and DavidWhitfield gave kudos
UBox780 posts since 31 May 2015
Tyne Tees Look North (North East)
I think Madeley slots into the existing team and format really well and am pleased they keep welcoming him back. I'm interested to see who will be presenting the rest of the week next week since Piers (I belive) is in the US filming anyway and I doubt they'll host on Tues or Wed.

Adil back tomorrow though:

JKDerry1,355 posts since 15 Oct 2016 Recently warned
UTV Newsline
Head of ITV Daytime Emma Gormley was in the audience of The View yesterday so there seems to be one big ITV jolly to the states (although The View is in New York)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykiT_PtTxMI

ITV looking at the US shows to see how they are doing and maybe taking some ideas home. They have already copied most of them, with GMB and Loose Women both based very much on the US Today Show, GMA and The View.
Rkolsen2,465 posts since 20 Jan 2014
BBC World

Sunday evening US time though so they'd still have most of Sunday to prepare. I do agree with others that 4+ days preparation seems a bit over-the-top especially when on rolling news channels you see presenters anchoring a big news story on-location very soon after it's broken for hours on end with next to no preparation time and on stories that probably require much more research and preparation than Oscars fluff.

Have to say the reception for GMB seems a fair bit more positive when it's Madeley presenting - seen a few clips of him doing the rounds. He's very Partridge but endearingly so and it's not as if GMB is a hard news show in any case.

To be fair they probably will be doing interviews with various celebrities and things going on about town. A lot of times they’re scheduled over a few days. The Oscars is not just a one night event it’s days of events leading up to it (I couldn’t tell you what as I’m not invested or interested in it but that’s what’s been reported).
Don’t let anyone treat you like you’re a VO/SOT when you’re a PKG.
Brekkie gave kudos
DJGM2,679 posts since 4 Jan 2003
Granada North West Today
I had hoped they would have used the studio where "Jimmy Kimmel Live!" is recorded (located very close to the Dolby Theater where the Oscars ceremony took place) instead of the rather echoey Beverly Hills Hotel foyer. The JKL! studio would have been ideal.
Especially with the backdrop behind the desk being one large video wall known on JKL! as the "Wall Of America".

"The Not-So-Late-Show with Greg Mitchell" Tuesdays 4-6pm on Roch Valley Radio - rochvalleyradio.org.uk

(Until further notice!)